VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Thanks for looking.

Ok here goes, I recently bought a 2003 88bhp T4. It was always a little lazy on the start, Turns over lively but takes a while to fire. This got worse and worse, It got to the point where it would turnover for maybe 5-6 seconds then the oil light would come on and beep. Leave it a second or 2 turn key away it'll go.

So Far: please correct if you think we've made a mistake it's all a bit new.

Glow plugs, don't seem to be the issue as sympton is the same on hot and cold days, with engine cold or warm.

Injectors all have fuel.

Been on Vag or similar at garage timing all in spec,

Supsected injector pump was leaking and letting in air on the front end, heard of this with worn bushes.

Pump rebuilt and timed, bushes were worn. all back on vehicle all timings check out.

But ..................... still the same symptom.

Does anyone have any ideas before this get completely financially out of control?

Bit more info:

It seems like the van is loosing compression, once engine is running it pulls really well and has no power loss. Milage is 85k. Once driven you can switch off and start again within about 10 minutes with no delay in firing. As time progress before ignition the required time to fire will increase. Vehicle has always eventually started. Also change fuel filter.

Help please :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Morning all,

I can see people have been looking, but no ideas yet :(

Who is the T4 font of all knowledge, LOL LOL:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still Not fixed any help appreciated please.

UPDATE

I have found that the more fuel is in the tank the less of problem there is. I put about 1/4 in and it started without getting to oil light and beeping. Wondering I filled to 1/2 a tank, let it cool for a few hours and it fired after a couple of seconds. Puzzled and confused I just filled it up and let it cool again, turned key and it started as you would expect i.e. in about a second.

OKAY It's officail I have no ideas now.

I'll leave it over night to be 100% sure but I'm guessing it'll start tomorrow without a problem.

Is there an additional priming pump or anything?

THANKS in hope.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just remembered when I bought van a couple of the drain back hoses were wet on the outside, so I did replace those a couple of weeks back :(
I will double check them again though anything is worth a try. Thanks for the link too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Morning all.

Well I re-checked drain back hoses, all ok there. I've not tried the fitting an additional fuel filter in line yet as I can't get one today, but the original has been replaced. The good news is that the van started this morning with no problem . So my conclusion is that the level of fuel does directly affect the ignition process. I will expect the firing to take longer and longer again as the fuel runs down.

All Suggestions appreciated.

I'm really hoping someone has had this problem A:

Thanks in anticipation.:)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
almost certain its an air leak if the tanks lower its more likely to happen.do you get air bubbles in the clear pipe on the injector pump when you start it?
there's a return valve on the fuel filter (white plastic tee) could be u/s also is the o'ring under it that would do it if its lost

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Trism286,

I'll have a look tomorrow in next day or so :)

I got the fuel back down to just under 1/2 a tank today driving about and the problem returned, filled back up and all ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fuel Filter and return valve replaced still got problem. Got to be air leak somewhere :(

I'll just keep it between half a tank and a full tank It's ok then LOL :bhd

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you've replaced the black braided return pipes and still have the problem of air in the system then if you haven't already, change the black nipple on the far left injector. I changed mine and it was a bad fit and was leaking air into my fuel system. I got another that fitted better and it cured my problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your difficulties - i picked up lots of things to check as I have the same problem. I know it's an air leak as there as bubbles in the clear feed pipe to the injectors - just haven't yet found out where the leak is. Will try the various suggestions in your thread.

Good luck (at least it should be a cheap fix for you. i've already paid for new glowplugs...)

wattie

·
Registered
812 Posts
Guess what? I too have the same problem. I think I'm missing the o-ring in the thermovalve on top of fuel filter. First off a few large bubbles when starting the engine and then continous flow of tiny hard to see bubbles when engine is running.

You can get the thermovale from brickwerks and this is the VW Part No 191 127 247 A

Going to get one tomorrow from the local dealer here and see if this works and also try and get hold of the rubber bung for the last injector and see if this solves it hopefully T:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, Sorry for delay been away for work and had PC issues on top of the vw problems LOL.

Tried the rubber nipple, it was a really tight fit, so no problem there. But hey thanks anyway

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Wattie, Hope you have better luck than me. I have had the fuel injection pump overhauled, that wasn't cheap :(

Still no joy :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, T4pickupoz.

Good luck to you also. Well I think my only chance now is the Tank, So next job is fuel tank out and see what's going on back there.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I'm such a numpty that I can't belive I am putting a suggestion forward.

Anyhoo....

What about the fuel filter? Is it properly connected with all clips intact? Could it be drawing some air?

You recently purchased this T4, so you'll know it's done.

Have a look at one which is OK, note connections, (I need to draw a diagram or take a picture).

Fit a new filter anyway, it can't do any harm.

BTW When fitting top up new filter with diesel and so eliminate air-locks.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Ok folks this may be a long update. Basically the air in the system was from a worm seal in the injector pump. I know this puts fear into the rest of you who are a bit daunted by the IP, i'm sure as I was when I thought it mas this. Don't be as the fix was quite simple, but fidly.
I have taken plenty of photos of what I did and I will try and do a step by step on here soon. Best of all this seems to be a common problem and is a cheap fix (around 3 pounds for control shaft O'ring and governer cover seal ring). If you have exhausted all other posibilities in the fuel system then this may be the resolution for your problem.

If you want the jist of it then have a look at this http://pajero.myfreeforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=90&start=0

I used some of the photos and text as a guide and it all worked out fine. I will add my own tips too. Just had to play with the idle screw after to get it close to around 750-780rpm, and look at the dial where the needle used to sit and listen to the sound of the engine ticking over.

After the engine juddered a bit where we had removed the fuel return and supply banjo to the IP, so you need to bleed the air out the system.

Any way I hope I can help some one on here as there has been plenty of info I have picked up off here that has helped me, so if you want go down this route I'll be happy to be help out. That's what I think this community is about, sharing knowledge.

I am chuffed to bits with this fixing the problem and after having a look at the internals I'm going to get a second hand pump and have a go at rebuilding it. You wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at the worn O'ring if you held it agaisnt one of the new ones I had in the seal kit, but the wear caused the fuel to leak out from undearneath the spring on the control arm of the IP.

So in return for Angel the retired Quantas Engineer helping me out with this, I'm going to help him tile his floor in the summer T:

Give me a yell if you want any help on this pain in the ass problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts