VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the Market for a T4. I have said a little hello in the new members section, but I will extend me greetings here and I'm very much looking forward to getting my van and reading the wealth of information on here and getting on with my build. I've been to see a couple of vans in recent weeks but both didn't give me the correct gut feeling. I've been searching for an unmolested 100k panel van with reasonable history etc. Obviously these are few and far between now.

Anyway I had a chance meeting with a guy who is selling a 1.9TD 2 owners, 148,000 miles, new shocks,new exhaust, service record (local garages). He's owned it since 38,000 and had it for 8 years. I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's in lovely condition and has never let him down. He's thinking around £3000.00 which seems fair enough. These ABL horror stories scare me, do you think this is a bit high for an ABL. Am I right in taking the attitude, that a good chassis and body condition is reason enough to buy, as should the unthinkable happen, then I can plant a 1.9TDI in at a later date? Im not too mechanical myself, yet however I have a few mechanic friends who I surf with and one has already transplanted his. Loads of people are telling me to get a Vivaro, Transit or T5. I haven't all the money in the world and kind of feel as if it has to be VW, anything else won't feel the same. Even if they may be better vans. I know there are no right answers, im just wondering whether £3000 is a little inflated for a standard van with 148k on.

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi bud,
Price doesn't sound too bad to me, you could certainly get one cheaper, but if its a clean van- most of its life with the same owner who's looked after it to a high standard then I'd say its worth spending a bit more on IMO. Not sure how long you've been looking but sometimes it takes forever to find the right one and I think you just have to bite the bullet, if you overpay slightly so be it, oldish vans, cars, bikes etc.. Are always a bit of a gamble even if they are held in high regard for reliability, as long as your happy that's the main thing!
Winter is approaching though and in theory prices should reflect this ( didn't make much difference last year though as far as I could tell!)
You also said he's thinking £3000 but until you've done some hardcore haggling you can't be sure what he'll except. If he doesn't have to advertise and get messed about with calls and viewings he might be willing to knock that off if nothing else?

Couldn't say much about the tdi conversion but I should think you'll get a lot of mileage in before you need to worry about it.

The draw of other vans was there for me too, especially when it sometimes feels like you've been looking for a good t4 forever and you could get something else for half the price. But the thing that always prevented me from straying was the resale value... Scene tax works both ways remember.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
What horror stories?! I have had my 1.9TD since it was six months old in 2000, it has been serviced by VW from new, and it has been absolutely brilliant. In the time that I have owned it I have also owned and sold a Golf GTi, BMW 325, VW Passat, and a stunning Merc E Class E320 CDi estate, yet the 1.9TD is still sitting in my garage at the moment and I am trying to find excuses to keep it even though I have recently bought a 2.5TDi T4 Caravelle so I don't strictly 'need' it anymore! So in short I think it is fair to say the 1.9TD is a great vanT:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the replys guys. It's on an R plate so I guess that's 97-98 right? Im gonna view and use my gut feeling and my not so brilliant bartering skills. As for the horror stories, I don't mean to offend anybody, it's just this crank pulley thing I keep reading about and that has also happened to my mates van. Obviously each one has had a different life etc, so you can't read too much in to these things. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to view this evening and it was a bit of a dissapointment. The guy couldn't find all his receipts, there was rust all over the arches, the bonnet was sprayed a different white to the van, about 2 weeks Tax and MOT, the windscreen seal looked like it was on it's way, advisory on the last MOT for brake lines, they haven't been changed. The drivers door lock barrel had been drilled so he had enter through the passenger seat. Dirty seats etc etc. He wanted £2800. Crazy thing is, he'll probably get it. Back to the search!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Went to view this evening and it was a bit of a dissapointment. The guy couldn't find all his receipts, there was rust all over the arches, the bonnet was sprayed a different white to the van, about 2 weeks Tax and MOT, the windscreen seal looked like it was on it's way, advisory on the last MOT for brake lines, they haven't been changed. The drivers door lock barrel had been drilled so he had enter through the passenger seat. Dirty seats etc etc. He wanted £2800. Crazy thing is, he'll probably get it. Back to the search!
Walking away is always the best option for such vehiclesT:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Plenty more to see - go with your gut feelingT:
BTW my 1.9TD was still going stong at over 360,000 when I sold it on after what some may have called a hard life wearing grooves in the UK motorway system earning it's living as a sameday courier hack. The only engine problems I had was a cracked cylinder head at about 250K so don't necessarily discount the ABL. But arguably the 2.5s are a nicer drive.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Keep looking mate as the camping season is over and you will see plenty coming up for sale.

One of the best sites (If not THE best) that grab listings from Ebay and adverts from sites like Gumtree/Autotrader/Pistonheads/Friday-ads and more is Trovit Cars.

Click on the link and it will automaticaly take you to a search I just did for all VW t4s T:

http://cars.trovit.co.uk/index.php/cod.search_cars/what_d.vw t4/

Oh and if you don't like clicking on links just put Trovit Cars into your favourite browser and search T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts