VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1998 T4 which i am going to insulate for sound and heat.

My first step after ripping out the existing ply is to apply a sound barrier to the panels. i have spent a lot of time in this and other forums and just get more confused and probably more info than i need in relation to 'Which Product' is best for the job.

Can anybody help with this question.

Sound Barrier

Is this product suitable or should i spend more and get a branded product?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If you are going to be insulating for heat wont that deal with sound at the same time although I guess that effectiveness would depend upon what product you use, and how well its fitted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To a certain extent yes!
Applying weight to the panels prior to insulating for heat reduces resonance thus reducing road noise. This is not the same as acoustically treating the van for sound...

Heat insulation while reducing road noise will do nothing to stop reverberation cause from vibrating panels so ideally a combination of the 2 will compliment one another.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The product that you have shown in your original post looks remarkably like "Flashband" - a roof/guttering repair/flashing tape. Which is more or less the same product as the Wickes tape that has also been posted here (just a brand name).

I used flashband to "deaden" the panel on my van (makes them less tinny) before adding plastic recycled bottle insulation and foil bubble and foil tape for heat insulation (though also helps to deaden too).

I'd have gone with the Wickes stuff if I had seen it (as it looks cheaper).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vans looks cool mate. Good job.
Have you ever noticed any smells from the 'Flashband'?

Ive seen this product mentioned in other posts and 1 or 2 members pointed out that there may be smells associated with this product and heat.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
To a certain extent yes!
Applying weight to the panels prior to insulating for heat reduces resonance thus reducing road noise. This is not the same as acoustically treating the van for sound...

Heat insulation while reducing road noise will do nothing to stop reverberation cause from vibrating panels so ideally a combination of the 2 will compliment one another.
Understood, many thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts