VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
As above - the science of sound deadening in vans is sketchy to say the least, so you decide how much you want to put on. Practise varies from a strip on each panel (which I tended towards with extra on wheel arches) to complete thermonuclear style multi-layer lining. Haven't seen any evidence that quantifies the benefits but I can say subjectively that my van after flash band, insulation, lining and carpet is quieter and less echo-ey than it was before.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As per my post, its actually hard to say.

Panel van was noticably echo-ey and road noise, drumming etc.

My view was that the function of flashband is to absorb vibration (which = noise) so I put single strips across big panels, single strips across the floor in the low points between the ribs, and covered the wheel arches as I reckoned a lot of the drumming was road via wheels into the rear chamber.

But then I also put a bubble foil + ply + hardboard +vinyl floor down, and I put plastic insulation + bubble foil + ply + carpet walls.

And 3 middle seats.

The end result is that I dont notice or think about rear chamber noise and driving is like driving a car.

What was element that decided the noise? who knows, I dont think anyone does. But given that you probably aim to add all those elements it maybe doesnt matter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts