VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
100% meant in jest mate, you can't rush quality and proper carpentry work, especially when you haven't all the correct tools for each process. As for wanting to get away camping this year, I get that, I wanted to get away much more than I did but sites were mostly full and I'm useless at planning ahead. Next year things should have calmed back down, people will be going abroad again leaving the sites vacant for the campers amongst us (y)

Don't put so much pressure on yourself, if it was going to be a quick build you'd have bought for generic standard cupboard set and you'd never be fully happy, this way you've got a custom one off 'Soundz' build.

It is a small space but cosy, and surprising how quickly space van-ishes (see what I did there?) once you start installing the furniture so any cubby hole or air space ideally needs to be taken advantage of. Many utilise the barn door lower pockets, bit tricky with your r&r bed for access. There's also kit for the sliding door recess that you could perhaps take inspiration from. Food for thought.

I'd imagine the change in colour would be down to light pollution, as I believe they're not coated yet, but yeah I can imagine after the amount of work that's gone into them, a miss match of colour would not be ideal, at least that's sorted so you can carry on...carrying on (y)

Reactions: Soundz

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Pete never a truer word than spoken in jest,please don't think I'm in anyway offended, i'm not bro please continue the slaying......... it's funny I love it(y):cool:

But as above I really think you are right I just don't see time, just how can I get from A to B. time don't figure just how do I get from this to that : this locker malarky that blummin long sploped cut exemplifies that most of a weekend getting there.is what it is bro ,but please don't stop making the mick :LOL:

sorry didn't get to reply to ya last night mate took a clattering at work ,came home had a cuppa and grafted till after dark chasing glue up on the two bits of oak WT..........pulled the plug on it sadly as I had a niggle on the rearmost point,gutted really as that's 12hours lost.

The long thin section that sits atop the bit you guys have seen has warped along the length, it needs a fair bit of tension to pull it back to where it needs to be.......I've also got to hollow out various sections, ie where the pop strut lives, ( which will create a weak point) and make cuts on the vertical plane, to allow the pop bed access board to slide which I actually did last night. It's a complicated
SOB, and needs doing in the right order, but yeah in the cold light of day wish I'd have stuck to me guns last night and got the glue out. Sometimes though it's how it works and pays to be cautious, I have only one chance to nail this one, only one bit of WT this long, so little room for error

Yup its def the light that causes the colour change, it didn't half throw me though bro..............all those months back when we made the curves I'd worked it all so we have the grain runniing in a continuous line, seeing one bit all but brown the other two kinda pale buff, really was an OMG really? moment ,but it's sorted.

Yup very aware of the door doges both wiith the slider and ( I have) tailgate....but I was actually musing the hollow on the nearside created by the play lining......pondering putting my lady a little sort of pull out vanity mirror and poss I little table that folds into the wall in effect......all along way off at this time, but being mused.

gorgeous day here i'd really like to say sod it and go off somewhere but the grafters are on, so it's back too it

ha ha bring it on

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
4 hours later and after much MUCH more shedding than I anticipated earlier ^^^^^................ glue and clamps are on and a well earned cuppa is being supped...damn good job I didn't do this last night :D

Oh Andy.........if you read this ,I'm slowly wading through every Trakkdu video I can find by way of escapism.......man don't they make some lovely and very practical off road campers. I'm sure I was aware of them I /We have watched so so many vids I just couldn't remember any details, really really impressed I have to say!! If only I wasn't bargain basement...I want one !!! They really seem a step above what the brits converters are doing, which doesn't really surprise me.

For anyone else Trakka are an Oz company.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGV-dy01hpA

Hey ho I'm off to drag my sorry ass into sanding mode.....grain filled all the locker doors earlier in the week............. this will be no fun !!

ok 2 more hours ...doors all sanded...funny don't really mind sanding wood,but filler UGG

Called it a day there, need to let the glue dry finish honing the Oak and then start to work up a template, with the oak in situ for the door ends and the accompanying fixed ends . I'm hoping to knock all those up out of the birch ply................The base foot print for length is roughly 134cms my doors 2 are roughly 60cms one 50..............I thought I'd need all 3 but it appears by the time 10 of the birsh end things are set in maybe........... I'll just settle on the 2 bigger doors. I like to drive with the seat laid back a bit and the head rest in my" comfy" driving position clashes with the length of locker I originally hoped for., I was hoping to use part of the 50cm door as a sort of static cubby hole, but don't think that's on the cards.

Again I'm hoping to use rack bolts to secure the lockers when driving, but not sure just yet on how the devil i'm going to design an actual catch when static and the lockers are in use. Rack bolts are waaaayyy to much faff. Curved doors are a ruddy conundrum when it comes to catches, it's not straight forwards like rectangles..........think I'm on the way to figuring some form of horizontal slide but not there yet.
Hopefully all will become clear as the design takes some form of physical shape..................LMAO hopefully

seeya

stu

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm slowly wading through every Trakkdu video
I've watched them too. Not so sure about their latest vans though. I think they have lost some of the raw functionality and gone too comfort orientated. You might think carpets are nice, but they really do not work in a dusty, sandy, hot environment. Still, can't really fault the van we had even though it was 9 years old when we bought it. One bonus was that the VW dealers were actually good value.

Good to see that you are making progress with the wood. We've seen lots of individual pieces so just need to see it all put together and out on the road:)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
I've watched them too. Not so sure about their latest vans though. I think they have lost some of the raw functionality and gone too comfort orientated. You might think carpets are nice, but they really do not work in a dusty, sandy, hot environment. Still, can't really fault the van we had even though it was 9 years old when we bought it. One bonus was that the VW dealers were actually good value.

Good to see that you are making progress with the wood. We've seen lots of individual pieces so just need to see it all put together and out on the road:)

Andy when you have a mo, could you share me a link to something akin to the older trakka you used please............... what impressed me was that functionality, so I'm very interested to understand your thoughts more. Sure I get your points on the carpets,mind that's OZ...my senario having bought part converted, is there isn't enough insulation under my floor.,damn it's cold under foot. So for us these removable ones, both the cab mats we bought at busfest and my funny doormat stuff in the back really add to the comfort. I can pull the lot in minutes mate hang on a fence give them a beating slap the hoover over, job done.

Ha last line:D, you have no idea how much I yearn for that day and to make those pics, no idea. I've been battering these ruddy cabinets now since last chrimbo, sat at a workmate for 2months in sub zero temps while shielding jan and feb given up the best chance of making images of the roe rut something I've quested for ,for something like 6/7years.. all summer gone making some wood smaller.

OMG so so wanted to say sod it yesterday and just go out, ok we did but only when I'd hit a wall. LMAO went up on the top to watch the sunset and the clouds rolled in :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Had a nice cuppa though and was once again amazed by the olde 2.5 and how it pulls up a damn steep hill

Man I want this done right now, oh god mate so so much........... but I can't yet fund what I want to do, sadly Therefore it seemed logical to get the tools back out and carry on making the lockers which I had already planned and started as all the gear is here, IE no dosh to spend really just effort and time and of course I couldn't make me plinth control panel thingy without a measurement .

It's tough Andy, want the sucker put to bed now, but being pragmatic, without the funds no sense in moaning, head up head down keep pushing.........

Ha ha as the song says "we can't always have what we want" :D so you ain't getting to see it put together you are getting more bits of wood:p

:

Here's the oak glued up and in clamp mode. I've still got to nail some cuts in the top bit to get around the pop strut and a rubber bung so can't quite get it in situ as of yet. But the base fit is there under the pop top bed, It's close to the bed base but I don't want the base sitting on this so have honed a few mm of clearance right the way down ,which took ages to accomplish yesterday,

_S2I0808 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

After a few more hours, pulling in these cuts

_S2I0815 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_S2I0814 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

and much too and fro back an forth tweaking we got it in

_S2I0813 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

The locker doors looked like this this morn

_S2I0811 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Now the rear one is square and gradually being honed to it's final shape......it's damn close right now..........I got as far as marking out the second door that sits to the front. but ran out of daytime .....obviously I've also got to consider the van runs out towards the front so it's a real softly soflty catchy locky job. honing the curved locker doors.......... honed by eye , which is so so time consuming

Ha ha work with curved doors a while and you'll understand the why's(y)

These are my locker doors after being grain filled and a couple of hours of sanding back

·
Registered
160 Posts
Stu, This youtube is probably the closest that I could find. We had a shelf at the back instead of the roof bed. For us, the high points were the sliding rear seat, tambour doors, diesel heater, and water storage. Plus the engine (132KW) and DSG gearbox, but that bit is down to VW.

Carpets seem like a really good idea, but the Australian dirt has a wonderful knack of staining anything. Probably not a problem if you are only out for days - you can clean it properly when you get back home - but when it's your home that doesn't happen. Luckily we had the original floor coverings underneath so could remove them, roll them up and store in the boot. TBH we never noticed a cold floor without the carpets. Just put the heater on! <-- and we did have some nights with negative temperatures!

Don't have many pictures of the inside, but here's a typical "day" state:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Machine

and outside:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

I'm sure a lot of it comes down to personal preferences but the smallest things aften make a big difference.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Andy I have to say I'd love to have a sliding bed,looks very much like a VW cali bed, ? I'll have a look at the vid in a while, many thanks for the comeback and also the images...... it's nice digging at the experience of a year in a van ....agreed on the little things Getting them right with little experience is tough !!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I love catching up on your thread Stu! Your wildlife photos are bloody fantastic - and a nice (and beautiful) little diversion from all the T5 talk - keep em coming!
And then there's your carpentry skills !! :oops: :love:- so much time, patience and dedication to it. It's a marvel to see it coming together and I love your attention to detail with all the curves, making a feature of the plywood end grain etc.
Awesome! 👌

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Good to see you're making more progress Stu, shame you've had a few niggles but it's part of the job, nothing really ever goes to plan first time, adapting and over coming is always a satisfying feeling.

Going to have to check out the Trakka co, might be some inspiration to be taken from them before I carry out build #4 😁

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Only 4?! Who you trying to kid?!! I bet you failed maths at school 😂
Technically it's physical build number 4, if you include hand sketches, Solidworks modelling then yes 4 is a smidge on the low side. You rarely achieve perfection on the first try 🙌

Reactions: 64 SPLIT

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I love catching up on your thread Stu! Your wildlife photos are bloody fantastic - and a nice (and beautiful) little diversion from all the T5 talk - keep em coming!
And then there's your carpentry skills !! :oops: :love:- so much time, patience and dedication to it. It's a marvel to see it coming together and I love your attention to detail with all the curves, making a feature of the plywood end grain etc.
Awesome! 👌

Attention to detail from the master detailer, that's ok init ..... OMG i'm SO .I'm 'aving that.. :LOL: ...................H I cheers on the words on the piccies. mind they are so so inextricably linked to my take on a T5 camper build I sort of feel that side needs to be here too .................

another photographer that also makes wildlife images,actually a pro mentioned on an image makers forum his use of a T5............that's where the seed was set H. I always loved the T5 anyway and the split, not so much the Veedub busses in between.

Folks like me of my ilk need to be somewhere at dawn and dusk, this can be the time when the light is really special and of course also a time when many beasties are active. The trouble is in the summer that's a long day a long long day.... and then one needs to drive back home. Something not too big that can cover alot of miles at a decent MPG that can also give me a place to catch some shut eye is why I own this lovely old blue T5.

It's also sort of ironic that there is all this wood work going on, that wasn't the plan really we had decided on a funky blue prefab sort of interior, that I'd knock up using all the usual dodges prefab ali corners and then came knock on edging and I started to hit a wall.....then came seeing a 3bridge and the wall got thicker and finally the price of a sheet of funky blue light weight ply made the wall something I was going to have to walk around rather than my usual tactic of banging my head against until the sucker gave way

That's the base of me reverting back to what i've always done make stuff 'cause I can't afford to buy what I really want.........

in many ways it's cool cause I'll own this in many a PITA cause I want to make piccies and take me lady on hols, which by god she deserves and my obsession with making it as good as I can for her don't help much. in getting there. :D

As MLK said I have a dream.... I want to see and make images of Lepus timidus " the mountain hare".....our one true native largomoph ( wabbit family) . My beloved brown hare is NOT native it was brought here, my bus is very simply about making that happen as a first step..... then I want eagles Norway and all manner of silly silly stuff, but being half frozed to death and a mountain hare and going back to a small mobile warm place and deleting lots of **** pics and one or 2 being ok......... is my big picture

H cheers on the lovely words, how about a humbug for ya mate a baby boar ...............

_70F8450 Orphan humbug by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr:)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Good to see you're making more progress Stu, shame you've had a few niggles but it's part of the job, nothing really ever goes to plan first time, adapting and over coming is always a satisfying feeling.

Going to have to check out the Trakka co, might be some inspiration to be taken from them before I carry out build #4 😁

We all have niggles bro it's life. :). As before it's how ya sidestep 'em that really matters not what card ya get dealt

The base plan morphs but it don't change ................once I've made it lived in it an none of it works then i'll take on board the first time stuff (y)

I don't really want to do this twice bro, I'd guess that is why it's taking so long buddy That isn't an "I'm right" comment Pete,it's more that mindset, my mindset......... "do it once do it right go play"................ I may well fail that's ok...............we will see me olde mate. I'm ponderously slow planning stuff mate, I might have mentioned my frogs a couple of years planning before hiitting it, the studio five years making before letting rip.....,but I tend not to go there twice it's head down for ages musing head down for eons making, then OMG I play hard n that's real hard

On trakka................I like the Ozzies pratical side Pete.... maybe I'm wrong but I'm preddy sure they got a fridge in I pondered for yonks and couldn't find a way.............I like . the way they problem solve, maybe that's fool hardy ,them on a big old continent us breeding like rabbits barely a place to breath................. wild camping being all but a no no here......................campsites looking like rabbit warrens an all. to me......

I don't know what you might learn buddy , to me the more varied our outlook the more honed our input....... I like their windows the mossi screen sliding door shut a bus tha has diff lock and serious incline features......all beyond my feeble means............but still inspiring all the same(y).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Thats freakin awesome Stu !
Cheers dude

I strongly suspect it's sort of a sad tale Drew, that the little fella is quite possibly an orphan due to the complexities of boar living here in blighty and the need? to cull. This one is difficult buddy I sort of see all the sides, from the good folks that live in the forest of dean to the side of an animal that should be part of our ecosystem that we wiped from our island An image that throws many mixed emotions in the image maker that might not be conveyed to you " the on looker"

Drew wild boar, lynx wolf even bear should all be here, but for my forefathers, I could talk all night on this and not come to a resolution a workable framework that gives both my kin my fellow brits and the beasties a place here.. I rarely call our boar wild boar........they are sort of feral...some incredibly wild some more close to the domestic piggy pigs:LOL: I've personally cared for and helped rear. I know a tiny bit about a breed called berkshire mate

I became so messed up by the dean boar and the actions of humans relating to them I backed away. Hard to put in words bro. and TBF i'm so shattered right now I probably would get the words wrong anyway.

So for you mate I'll by pass all that with an old lady I spent one autumn day tracking watching and trying to find an image of........I watched her for hours Drew became besotted with her, this gentle soft massive thing scoffing acorns without a care in the world for me.......... but I also saw her other side............... a complete screaming rage monster, when she saw a dog .............able to cover ground so fast it was breath taking, to her a dog is a wolf, that would kill her kids.......... utter logic behind her sides , breathtaking to watch though properly breath taking !!

_70F3217 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

To all not preaching guys you all need a handle on this...................

one thing............. one tiny thing, ........................please don't feed boar if you come across them..........see what happens is some boar will associate you, me, us, with food, they them come to the road side for food, there are 2 consequences :collisions with our cars vans etc and the other is poachers.. shooting them for meat

look sure , OMG sure
be wowed by.......... sure,
be incredibly respectful............ sure........... again OMG properly respectful............................... the old lass pictured above covered the first 50 yards in an eye blink, she would have left Usain Bolt in the starting blocks left him for dead.............I've watched this... first hand it is SO fast........... not irrational behaviour utterly provoked by the lady with an I phone wanting a pic and her lab on a lead besides her..............lady had no idea what she had done. But sadly, that's how the bad stuff happens, she meant no harm just didn't know she had walked up to a boar with what the boar sees as a child killer.... so the boar did what it was meant to and charged ............ thank god for a deer fence!!

please don't feed 'em !!

Cheers for reading this it's important for them ;)

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I get it mate , i lived in the new forest for while and saw all the visitors wanting to feed and pet the ponies , donkeys and any other wildlife they saw while there .
Seen little kids put on the back of young foals for photo's and seen the animals get moved for whats seen as 'being a problem" when someone has been hoofed .
Seen the deer, the birds, the snakes, the mushrooms and many wonderful things in and around the forest...truely is a magical place.
Ive never been around for pannage sadly. ☹

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Wise words dude! - and loving that shot of the baby boar just peeking out over the rock, face looks like it's full of mischief! - adorable.
I feel your pain with the whole lightweight ply thing too - ridiculously expensive, I had to meticulously plan every piece I was going to cut and then I was sh*tting myself in case I wrecked it when it came to cutting them. Carpentry has never been my strong point so it took a lot of concentration and patience for me to start hacking in to that sheet of ply!
I'm also not a fan of the knock on trim either but as my ply was faced, I couldn't find a better way of finishing the edges to a decent standard without resorting to it. Added to that my van gets dirty mountain bikes and snowboarding/surfing gear thrown in the back so any fragile edge would soon get battered and chipped.

Keep the pics coming ! Love the wildlife. My girlfriend lives in a tiny village surrounded by farmland, fields and woods so when we take the horses out it's not unusual to come across deer, hares and the like foraging in the field and hedgerows. Even though I've seen them plenty of times, it still makes me stop in my tracks and just stand and watch them. Simple pleasures of life.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
I get it mate , i lived in the new forest for while and saw all the visitors wanting to feed and pet the ponies , donkeys and any other wildlife they saw while there .
Seen little kids put on the back of young foals for photo's and seen the animals get moved for whats seen as 'being a problem" when someone has been hoofed .
Seen the deer, the birds, the snakes, the mushrooms and many wonderful things in and around the forest...truely is a magical place.
Ive never been around for pannage sadly. ☹

Not everyone does Drew forgive the length of post,( it's passion I guess not judgement) it wasn't really directed at anyone just for the masses. Folks don't always realize the consequences of their actions. mate I don't want to judge anyone for not knowing I'd like to make them more aware if that's possible.....little humbug should have had a big fat mummy protecting him, but she wasn't there so I got a photo op....it still tares at me mate every time I look at the little chap ,there is a tinge of guilt........ hard to put in words bro... what do you not make a piccy of as a wanna be wild life image maker ??????

Buddy what does pannage mean? Forgive me I don't understand

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
H it's that isn't it the edges.. getting it right without gap fillers harks to me day job mate my trade is basically now covering up all the cobblers that went on before me and making a new build gaff look preddy. The workaround ie a bit of craft is no small thing, hey ho mate here I am completely out of me depth trying to do that stuff.funny as!! Horses are sort of my achilies with beasties H, got walked on at around 4 years old, ha not horse's fault, sh*t happens......... bless, horse somehow never broke a rib, but I can still the the hooves coming down if I close my eyes, it left something I just can't erase even half a century later.great place to view wildlife though ,the back of a horse...........yup that's it I live for those little encounters (y)

Well no pics had me 'ead down all weekend,but I've got the locker doors all squared up made a cardboard template first then 10mm ply then cut 10 sections of birch ply. 2 at both ends which will be glued together, as will 2 in the center between the curved doors, then 4 as actual ends for said doors. Also then took out a rabbet on the door ends which took ages gradually adapting a template to try and get the best fit to each end. then finally cut down each end to it's final size and ran a curved edging bit over a couple of sides and finished the weekend with a manic sanding spree so the doors are pretty much ready for glue up.

Stopped there as I wanted to step back and stake stock, and make sure I haven't missed anything before glue and no going back. Ha also finally got my head around how to make a door catch a eureka moment as it's one that has stumped me for ages and ages and ages now......

So there we go I'm battered sideways ache from head to toe and am a tiny step further into a little wood camper interior making overhead lockers I'd put off for another day

onwards and downwards:ROFLMAO:

stu

201 - 220 of 226 Posts