VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
581 - 600 of 669 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
Ok H's contact cleaner stuff arrived tonight Ta H...spent the day honing rubber mat,trying to make minimal cuts and be bloody precise on said cuts.......I wanted to be exact here as the matt is thick an soft so not only is protecting cabe runs..but also is going to act as a sort of shock absorber for me expensive batt. I've had some black say 13mm thick really dense foam here for eons....probably pulled from a skip, I double sided taped a section of that under where the rear of the roamer will sit....it will keep the comfort unit cables and PV cables safe as well as making batt damn snug within the base.LMFAO providing me wood mock up is ok.
Got all cables in place under drivers seat and mock fitted all fuses..'an ordered a couple or 3 I needed...............also went through each connection point and added Cu washers.....being pedantic here trying to hone each contact point connection wise, max conductivity and also rejig each connection a gnat'sB up, if needed, to make things sit nice. Tried to be very slow and proper thorough Bolted drivers SB down and then H's jallop arrived finally cleaned and cranked down the main isolator connections and pulled the insulators..which was a faff and tight as hell down.

Passenger SB is still a work on prog. : mat cut................... all cables pulled through......neg bus wired and again at end of day undone each contact point cleaned and cranked down neg bus and shunt Shunt sorted bar .......bloody B1 and B2 terminals on shunt were a complete pain.....my ferrules simply weren't as long as the original vic ones so couldn't get a decent connection............I ended up wrappiing a larger guage ferrule stem around my short ass one to extend length............ and crimping the hell out of it.................... should be ok the connection is strong ,but this one might haunt me

Ha funny so out of me depth.........ordered temp sensing relay thingy to control fan which hopefully will keep the orion under control....lol I've got 3 extinguishers now after watching a lotus burn t'other day......so me funky switch on dash powered by LB might now be redundant.....wondering if I can use the H connection on B2B as a kill switch.....

that's about it really

bye

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·
Batt here exactly as promised..wood mock up a few mm large as expected got some pics but I'm off to do technical downloady stuff..........which me being me and being here will probably take an age

Happy days damn that was some graft but it's done

rock 'n' roll :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #585 ·
totally did :ROFLMAO:meh I have piccies and can prove..but even I haven't seen 'em yet buddy :( it took ages to connect to the vic app..and then poppet's phone wouldn't pick up the battery......fink we tried 4 times and then I had to charge it🤣

TBH blue tooff does my head in it's always a knife fight getting in

But right now I know it's charged at 98% and I'm in ahh mate the sheer unadulterated joy of owniing sommit.rock 'n' roll

a cool 1K in a month mate ground out in 50p's minus tax minus mastic minus diesel head down hours an' hours of sh*te..

job done(y)

Bit that made me giggle though was the bomb sign on the top of box....that's going under me butt.damn I love that:love:

bud make no bones I'm clattered beyond .............so just one piccy of 20 odd kilos of bomb sign cause it's you and you were kind to us.then I'm gonna go to bed and look at me other pics tomoz or next day(y)

_S2I2450 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

soz not more bro need sleep

stu

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
Exciting!!

So you've swapped a wooden box for a cardboard one....
Looks big enough to fit a real one inside :unsure:

Exactly (y) (y) 🤣

20kg is a real lightweight. Mines 45. That was fun getting it in the van.
Hope we are all going to see it all in place soon(ish).
So do I;)

Although it's gonna be such a faff getting in the SB I've left the 2 primary leads long Andy ,mefinks that way I can test everything.each circuit individually first remove fuses put 'em back , set all the gizmos up So it might take a while to finally install batt in SB. Trouble is i'm grafting all hours,I could probably take time off but really I want to save that time for playing camping.......it's a paradox init:D which way do ya go?

I've also been seriously debating one of those flir phone heat camera jobbies mate..so I can physically see any hot spots .but that'll mean a phone upgrade for poppet and together that's a lot of dosh.

We'll see bro I know one thing though I want to be terribly slow and terribly thorough !!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #589 ·
Argh!! the suspense... 😳😂

I know H I'm sorry........but I've seen what's in the box buddy🤣 ..

.oh god that's me back in tea break gone off to dig spuds I'll try and get something up later for ya mate

bloody eck that heat has properly laid waste to a whole host of construction workers funny as every one was walkiing around like ferkin zoombies today

livin da dream🤣

·
Registered
418 Posts
@Soundz Stu, definitely connect each bit one at a time. Check each bit is working as you expect it to then move on to the next.
If you haven't already, get yourself a multimeter. Even the cheapest is going to give you voltage and current up to about 20 amps (having said that, just checked mine and I dont have any current measurement - oh well!).
I would do the shunt first because that's going to tell you what's going on with everything else. Then the B2B or mains charger so you have something to keep the battery happy. Now you can move on to things that consume the power (lights, USB etc.). Put a sticker on each fuse to say what it does otherwise you're going to forget!
I wouldn't be looking at a heat camera to be honest. Touch is much easier (and cheaper) and that's going to tell you almost as much as a camera initially.

Our outside temperature sensor said nearly 42C in the shade on Tuesday. Diesel heater inside the van said 57C so I kept the doors open until it got dark. The temperature must have upset the alarm though because it went off just before midnight. Some people in the house were not very impressed! It's all cooled off a bit now so I did a 65km cycle ride today. Very enjoyable, so might do another over the weekend.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #591 ·
Andy soz never got back with piccies.................the heat stressed spuds in pots,so they went down with blight, that means one spares no effort to harvest.went out for a pot did the lot.....there are 2 gigs ya do when growing your own food.1 get it in the ground right time........... 2 harvest. right time.both are paramount.what happens in between is incidental and happens.but those 2 factors mean one eats

ok mate back to our leccys convos.yup have multi meter but need clamp.. multi only reads 10A no good to me.need to measure DC current. on a whole other level....Dell recomended a uniT but i'm at a loss as everyfing's moved on and there are many :(....Which would you suggest for my needs buddy

Fair point on shunt...............

Mat soz did the usual cause forgot to hit submit that was last night.

Today , had hos visit for poppet then came hone and same applied on the allotment had to harvest a whole row of spuds..so did that and Shaz had all these carrots and parsnips she had grown in root trainers but they needed moving on..so dug in and did that.can't fault the lass we probably won't buy spuds till next year and barring carrot fly we'll be in in weeks and if they do, they'll serve us well..'snip are waay too late we will see on then,but soddin ' hell for a poorly lass she don't lie down..damn she had so many needles in her today she's bruised black 'n' blue and she's still bloody going

bless she's an inspiration :love:

Bus stuff close of play today have fitted all the rest of the lower dash ..jees how many screws had been lost over the years.....I couldn't find the original torx,so ended up nabbing some phillips...it's like 1/2 the screws weren't there.fink every one is in place now went through it with a fine tooth comb

Got the door pillars back in..note to self do stuff in the right order..got so wrapped up in leccy made life difficult.

As it got late waded into temp sensitive relay to switch B2B cooling fan on and off on auto..brain dead tired so it was a bit of a game.stopped when I got to the stage of being able to get poppet out to hold a temp sensor and see her face light up when the fan came on........she was too hot from stress and today.....so made her move and did a second trial with fan on her face.

Oh an potentially got the manual dash kill switch for B2B on H connection sorted......................see the paradox is I don't quite know yet how charging the van batt via the load from MPPT and victron's battery life algorythm will pan out.....so a manual kill switch running of the roamer.might be of use.........we'll see:)

The roamer comes in a box like this :

_S2I2447 smj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 ·
Yeah I know but you ARE B and T I'm not yet ...give us a ferkin chance bro........ I needed to eat dude and let's face it no one is gonna reply anyways on any other" frum" ya'll would get " back in a mo" but here I talk to H and Andy.an they are patient dudes :cool: bless 'em both:love:

When ya open it ya get this :

_S2I2452 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

inside the bag ya get this :

_S2I2454 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

when ya lift the protection off ya get this :

_S2I2456 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

when ya get it out of box it looks like this

_S2I2465 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Now Roamer have moved the handles to the side.because of quality control issues wiv the previous handles on top but the trouble is although they look good and are great to pick sodding heavy fing up by.just how does
that work when stuffing this in a SB with no room either side??????????????? Oh the scratch.not my doing ,it concerns me little .but not my doing

_S2I2467 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

I've not yet got me head around the terminal covers,but at the mo they seem to work it's great the way that plastic cover clips into place...give me time on this and the terminals though.

Back to me an me build

Mock up ain't too bad as a tool to work into a few mm oversize to make me work into the mm's.especially on height I sort of didn't see the length coming untill I was no mans lands pushiing the isolator forwards making walnut rings and all to scagg mills

_S2I2470 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
Here's the pass SB with the wood that holds the inverter............LMFAO this one was fun start with a tight fit and then pair back pair back make all the wires work

_S2I2458 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

B2B aint in this piccy but ya'll can see the final resting place of the cooling fan.........fink mad temp relay gizmo wiill be mounted on rar SB ply contraption..if I was bright I'd have sorted this earlier,but ya know I'm not...got a game plan though on the fly🤣(y)

Pos bus fused

_S2I2480 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

every thing painstakingly cleaned.....and the whole shebang will come out as I test.............but it'll let me know what I had and what was missing fuse wise

Over view of drivers SB and yup 230AH of lith is gonna sit in that......note radical red condoms🤣 as I learnt Roamer has a steel case not an insulatiing plastic and needed to male maiin isolator safe red condoms saved the day

250 A mega fuse holder will be mounted in something foam wise to stop rattles. also added a few bits of conduit to double up on rubbed edged steel safety stuff

_S2I2476 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

holy sh8t I'm clattered🤣

take care out there guys

stu

·
Registered
418 Posts
Which would you suggest for my needs buddy

Fair point on shunt...............
No idea to be honest! I just measured voltage and continuity with the multimeter and left current measurements to the shunt. That's why I said do that bit first.
I think I connected the mains charger first, so disconnect the battery, check + and - for continuity and infinite resistance between + and -. Connect battery, check battery voltage between + and - at charger terminals. Then connect charger, check voltage again. Then turn on charger and check voltage again. Check if current is flowing into battery using shunt. It's tedious and slow but you're unlikely to end up with a nasty surprise.
Then it's just a rinse and repeat with everything else. Once you're done (or totally knackered) tighten down all the bolts and put a dab of nail varnish (might have to smile sweetly for that) on each connection. It tells you that's all done and you will be able to see if anything starts to rattle loose.

The roamer comes in a box like this :
Cummon. You've got to open it! Could be just a pile of bricks in there. Just seen your next post. Sweet! Good question re the handles though. Think I would put a couple of straps around the case and lower it in.

How do you keep spuds for months? Ours (from the supermarket) just chuck out shoots if we leave them for a few days!

All the best to your other half. Hospitals aint fun.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just had a quick look at some of the UNI-T clamp meters (link) ...
There's a HUGE choice - and that's just the UNI-T ones!
Main things that I've noticed so far are:
  1. They all seem to do AC current. Only a few do DC current.
  2. Current is only measured using the clamp and it's only really good for larger currents. You won't be able to measure milliamps (eg trying to trace battery drain problems)
  3. You will need enough slack in a cable to get the clamp around it.
Probably worth having a separate thread on this subject - if there isn't one out there already.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #597 ·
@aferris2 Heart felt thanks buddy.yeah it's a bit of a maize for a novice to negotiate in it.............I did wonder if tailoring the size say max to 400A meant the meter would read better at the lower values,can't find the words bro,hope that makes sense. Yes very aware of the need for it to read DC current...very aware. incredibly good point on getting clamp around cable and having enough slack,lol.....hmmmm.
Mate soz brief middle of night I often input for a few mo's at night and half muse while asleep helps me bang stuff in or problem solve.came here to mention the blue tooth app and BMS again in brief................it's all sort of mind blowing to me Andy............. you can download the app from the Roamer site..........

the BMS/ app not only allows you to see in real time what the batt is doing ...charging discharge state of charge etc, but also has low temp charging protection as Li FE PO4 battts can be damaged by charging at low temp . One can even see the voltages of the individual cells.as above mind blowing to a simple lad like me. I've not really got into it all yet but the tech does amaze me

Lol I took the pics as I opened it mate, it's such a big deal to us..........just no time to post. till last night.they were always coming....I'll explain spuds soon bro cheers on poppet she came home black and blue like a blummin pin cushion poor thing,so I kinda wanted to help her with all the plants she'd grown..........bless her cotton's.........really wanted to chip away at the bus,but food is our fuel not only that it saves us a fortune...........so a good job done
;)

·
Registered
15,860 Posts
Sorry for busting your buns about pics mate i didnt realise the missus was in hosi
(another time i've been guilty of skim reading without my glasses and completely missing half the detail 😔 ).
Roamer looks like a cracking bit of kit and who doesn't love FREE sweets! 🤩, straps around it and lowering it in sounds like a plan.
Love to Shaz .

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #599 ·
Bud.Drew we are good don't worry kiddo....sometimes ya just can't do it all when ya want is all. life kicks ya about...........................all these leccy pics the whole shebang was for you anyways bro ya asked for it when ya still had the 5 ( I don't for get kindness bro) an tis still applicable in ya MH as there's some scary leccy boshed in them too...LMFAO not to say this isn't all scary as hell to me...............I fink somehow.ha ha some how :D I'll get there mate an it'll work.....we'll see on that one. I kinda have a recording studio behind me for confidence,but tis still scary😂

she's so ferkiin strong mate it's really inspiring........... bless ya for the words

Yeah strap lowering stuff is in hand it will be a game.but it's in hand. actually securing it is a work in progresss..prob connect batt up tomoz out of SB........fink repeat fink B2B first stage of set up is done updating sent us nuts.

Andy spuds.ya have many varieties...............but they break into differing rates of maturing.so we have first early which grow fast 2nd early which one harvests next.early main and then main crops.the point is we dig them at differiing times from maybe a couple of weeks back till weather/ variety, dependent deep into the winter....the stuff we buy in markets is covered in all manner of chemicals to grow 'em.............what I.We do is old skool work with soil work with variety with susceptabily to pests and disease,to nab good food............fuel in an organic way that harms little in mum natures world,but tastes fine and doesn't harm us..art form bro like all things with a very simplistic side..learnt by failing.

bus wise mounted lickle temp relay inside SB set all parameters.damn that fan shifts some air all tested with old LB

got B2B in shape charge wise made up some long leads to test it all with roamer not in situ

seeya

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You can always tell a good retailer when they bung in a couple of free sweets!! 😁 (I'm easily sold!)
Hope the mrs is doing OK stu - she'll be blummin made up when you get this van of yours finished! 😊 What a lift to the spirits that'll be.

Your wiring looks like an art form mate! Impressive stuff. Wish I had the spare dollar for a LiPo battery. They look the dogs dangly bits! I think I'll be sticking with AGM and a bit of solar. Should be more than enough for my needs.
I'd defo make up webbing straps to run under the battery to lower it in to place. I got my webbing from the sewingy bit in my local Hobbycraft. Worth remembering that you may want to lift that hulkin big battery back out at some point in the future too so I'd make the straps so you can leave em under there for such a situation.

581 - 600 of 669 Posts