VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
621 - 640 of 669 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's getting there :)!

That's quite a fan and that's a fantastic little temperature controller (wrong link above but I did a search). Should shift a bit of air through those fins. Will be interesting to see how much of a gale there is coming out of the seat base.

Think you said earlier that you were going to power it from the LB. Must admit I would power the controller from the switched ignition (it's less than 100mA so shouldn't cause any problems) then have the fan connected to the starter battery. With the ignition OFF, the controller is not going to be powered so the fan will always be OFF too..

For the temperature sensor, make sure of a really good thermal contact with the heatsink. and probably put it out of the direct line of the fan so it's measuring the actual temperature of the heatsink itself. I'd almost be tempted to wrap it in foil or copper strip then clamp it against the fins.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #622 ·
Yeah but sooooooo slow init Andy................

UGG sorry bro tis fatigue :(

Taikuwu Red LED Digital Thermostat Controller Temperature Temp Control Switch Module Board DC 12V -50-110℃ with NTC Waterproof Sensor Probe: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Sure I hear ya mate......the untangible is using the load output to charge the van bat and putting a switch with an idiot ( read stu) it's on LED light on it.............. which is why H circuit..........I hope i'm correct in sayiing less than 100MA won't light LED?...............Andy my concern is the van batt reaching a state of charge that can trigger the B2B so yup I know it's not the way most would go.but then most don't tackle the wood like I do or chrge the van batt off the load of the MPPT I've been told that it can be done though by a guy I know really understands this stuff

i'm always prepared to fail or be proved wrong mate that's the fun of this build for me............ going there

Temp probe yup exactly out of line of fan (y) Not too worried.......poppet runs too hot so a gale under her seat might be good.....................more seriously Andy as I fiigure it all we need is that probe to trigger the fan......the temp sensing relay gizmo can be set to switch on and off pretty accurately ............so with time I hope I can figure all this......I just need time to figure it all mate....need a base platform to run off and work with and through

Images..............

Front of cupboard 1 ie first unit behind drivers seat....ie back of shell door....ya can see a strip joint on LHS which will hold bit of wood holding socket in pic( draped over PV isolator) and also the plug that goes into socket to power mains batt charger

_S2I2492 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

in rear overhead locker We used existing holes to bring cable runs down to the control panel..with lockers in place that looks like this.....NB huge care here you can see in previous images that there are no sharp edges to add ware to cables via vibration

_S2I2517 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

So I made a cable hidey thing which poppet said looked like a posh doll's chair ( heartless!! ) and me dad took a liking too

_S2I2514 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

fortunately drummers practice for hours a day .so was able to nick dad's chair and reposition for intended use......ahh man ya gotta love bonfire walnut huh?

_S2I2513 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

control panel starting to take shape IP rated junction box wired in.....2.5mm artic CBE type sockets 1 in 2 out rubber lined P clips etc etc

_S2I2496 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

back in a mo I fiink??

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 ·
Used ferrules...bootlace I think they are called all over the shop....basically no stray strands of Cu wire and they also add another layer of grab against vibration. as they get criimped ...my hopes are along with the cable glands and the rubber P clips nowt will be under strain and nowt will work loose.....a shed load of care here............these are twin ferrules who knew huh?

_S2I2501 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

one undone to show how the screw connection grabs every strand of Cu

_S2I2509 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Thats about it for piccies........funny why don't victron give us an H an' L connection on the remote port of the pheonix inverter.just tell ya the remote is polarity orientated to work....one has to dig for this

All good in it🤣

close of play I think repeat think everything is done to connect a ruddy power house of a batt

need some luck now

seeya

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
Looking good Stu , not long now 🤞
yep bootlace ferrules 👍
Ta mate.. damn I hope so bud...trying to get it done before having a break so I can take poppet away but I'm frazzeled ain't stopped yat an tis august that said silly exciting right now

.didn't know about the twins Drew hence piccy for the next guy............damn there's a lot on reading behind this leccy

Mate bit of advice please Ha I've got a "ducks back" bag for hook up cable ( been buyiing little things for poppet)..want 25M roll 2 .5mm artic in orange.......can you suggest something that actually comes on a reel that might fit? Am I right in 25M length? TBH hoping I don't need it much but ya know

Ta muchly

·
Registered
15,860 Posts
We have an orange bag that the missus made when she was a kid with our hook-up cable in. Its not on a roll and often is a pain in the a$$ due to being rolled one way then tother .
25m is the longest i have along with a 15m but i dont carry both and normally just go with the big one to be sure.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #627 ·
Cool yeah really want it on a roll..Ii'm a south paw Shaz a normal person IE right handed.......I just know that cable is gonna be a PITA if not on some form of holder reel call it what ya like..25M it is then now to find a reel holder thang

Progress on leccy slow//ha slow but sure I guess.................... I'm alive that's a start.......

B2B

H............ set temp sensing relay to come on at 32 off 27............brief test bud batt all but fully charged.............. in bulk pushing 32A or thereabouts when the B2B hit 32 fan switched on and pulled temp to 30.2 and held it there............looks good of cut off switch works.........

took an age up dating stuff my web is pants in the sticks.inverter good remote good BMV good but not wrapped me 'ead around all that yet but it all seems to be there as does everything really hiccup might be the load output

[email protected] think I need a one in one out say 30A max one way diode......any thoughts mate ?

of interest.......chargers for the Roamer in the victron world one just banks in the Li FE PO4 preset.job done.....mains IP 22 dat's slightly different...that's from Steve at Roamer not the default Lith setting but the smart

but yeah so far so good,not there yet due to being naive...also not sure yet whether the cube fuse will be doable due to height...ha mind I spent a while pressing some Cu into that....the stuff one never sees huh.....the time;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Stu - what's the diode for?
For 30A you're going to be looking for something a bit special. An ordinary diode is going to drop 0.7V so will be pushing out around 20W in heat. A schotkky diode will drop a much lower voltage so much less heat but either way you're probably going to need a big heatsink otherwise it will just burn up.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
Stu - what's the diode for?
For 30A you're going to be looking for something a bit special. An ordinary diode is going to drop 0.7V so will be pushing out around 20W in heat. A schotkky diode will drop a much lower voltage so much less heat but either way you're probably going to need a big heatsink otherwise it will just burn up.

Load out put Andy............I didin't see it mate until connecting everything up ( well not everything)............the current from the starter battery comes back through the load out put..............so basically I need a mechanism to turn the cable from the MPPT from the load output to the starter battery into a one way street. Does that make sense?

Andy 30A is probably massive overkill....the MPPT can only put out 15A.....from what I could grasp yesterday there was about 3A running into the starter batt from the PV...via the load out put .......

Mate just quietly thank you....you#ve always been there trying to help me bro .thank you..................I'm kinda stunned i've got this far.......I know I'm slightly bonkers mate but if I wasn't then all this wood malarky wouldn't have happened ....so that same madness is now manifesting it's self in the leccy using the load to charge the starter is slightly off the wall......................I bought a little Ablemail but it came in a form that didin't look like the pictures.........they had changed the connectors.hadn't even told the guy I bought off nowt to do with him...so I sent it back.... a much more conventional route..........I then got told by a guy who makes stuff ( I can't say who there are reasons) that using the load out put was possible............so now I'm trying to work out how?

Really think it will work Andy,just need to work out which tools I need to make the leccy flow in the right way.

Oh mate I did glue that temp sensing probe in place,it was just such a simple and easy option.the tip just touches the heat sink......found it remarkable watching the relay cut the fan in and watchiing the temp of the B2B drop and be held while it kicked all those amps into the batt...that we could see happening on the hone app..............it wasn't a long test mate.......but I really think this concern over the B2B and the heat it can produce is in hand..ha how long have we talked on that bro? ;)

It also seems ( early days) that the BMV is reading both batteries via those tiny wires and the B1 B2 connections on shunt.......... the starter batt was a genuine after thought Andy it's not wired quite as per victrons diagram.so probably I've just see a V reading for the starter.....but not completely got my head around it all yet. Also might have to reinstall Roamer app as I can't access all the pages again might just be me being brain dead......installing and updating is really hard here as my web is pitiful

Of finally...I've got a little AC DC clamp meter coming which also reads temp. what they cram in to these meters now for the price is remarkable Dc clamps I always thought cost a fortune !!
Kaiweets HT206D if interested

ta mate

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #632 ·
Have a good un buddy...lol I had to rush off an dig a shed load more spuds.afore it got too hot.it was too hot 🤣 That said another cracking crop,,, a new variety to us, the majority a damn good size.so I'm hoping and suspecting they make will make cracking chips and bakers which will sit great with the salad spuds we already have.........First of Shaz's carrots soon don't know how I do it all no wonder I'm always a wreck back to bus leccy in a mo having a cuppa and chillin

Not sure if me cube fuse contraption is going to be too high which will be gutting as the mega takes up so much space...it's got a 10mm hole so spent a good while yesterday morn pressiing and hammeriing a small bit of thoroughly cleaned 10mm Cu pipe to make the best connection possible as the battt terminal is M8 not M10 so it will be real sad not to use it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 ·
Maybe one of these Stu? - Cable Tidy Reel For 25m Power Hook Up Mains Lead Plus Storage Bag | eBay
I might even buy one myself as ive got a new lead i dont want to bugger up.
She has a bag Drew everythiing has to be blue;):D but otherwise that looks furpect.can't be doing with the faff mate.......done that with me cable I use at home for years,until I recently picked up an old chucked cable reel from a skip on site.ha no going back for the bus...I need to find that one in blue no bag as the measurements seem like they will work nice one mate I'll dig at this later.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Finally Stu posts a picture of himself! .... I know you said you were frazzled pal, I didn't realise you were THAT frazzled!! 😂 😂 😂

Mate - those electrics look fantastic - loving the attention to detail, all cloth wrapped, p-clipped and those ferules are a smart addition. Loving the 'posh dolls seat' to hide the loom too 👌

That fan you've linked to on Amazon also has a pic for a leaf blower?! Just how powerful is it?! 😱
I'm imaging your poor Shaz being like Marilyn Monroe when she gets in the van n that thing kicks in!! 😳😂
Smile Leg Black Flash photography Style

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
For a split second I thought "blimey is Stu really going to leave those cable exposed from the locker to the control panel?", should have known you'd produce a work off art for cable cover panel. Need to see the rest of your build, I know we'll be blown away with the quality and attention to detail (y)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Using the load output of the MPPT to charge the starter battery...
Did a bit of searching to see if anyone else had done it and found nothing. So it's either a genius idea or it doesn't work.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of information about the load output other than it can supply up to about 15A, its current limited, and it switches off if the leisure battery voltage gets too low.
As it appears to be actively controlled by the MPPT, there shouldn't be any need to have a diode because the internal circuitry should be acting as a one way switch. I couldn't find anything about the voltage so assume it must be the same as the leisure battery voltage (lithium for you). Not sure how a standard lead acid battery would react to seeing a fully charged lithium voltage all the time...
The conventional way of course it to use an ablemail, or one of the alternatives. Think this is what I would go for, but since replacing my starter battery I've not seen any problems with maintaining a charge even though I don't get out in the van very often.

Sure you haven't connected it already?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Are you concerned you're going to flatten the SB Stu? Surely the alternator on the van is enough to keep the SB topped up and if you're not running anything off it when you're camped up then there's no problems as everything is powered off your behemoth Lithium battery?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 ·
Finally Stu posts a picture of himself! .... I know you said you were frazzled pal, I didn't realise you were THAT frazzled!! 😂 😂 😂

Mate - those electrics look fantastic - loving the attention to detail, all cloth wrapped, p-clipped and those ferules are a smart addition. Loving the 'posh dolls seat' to hide the loom too 👌

That fan you've linked to on Amazon also has a pic for a leaf blower?! Just how powerful is it?! 😱
I'm imaging your poor Shaz being like Marilyn Monroe when she gets in the van n that thing kicks in!! 😳😂
View attachment 206925

Shhhsh already. Dad's in way better shape than I :( 🤣

Ta on leccy H can't believe it almost all works ha an on chair.hmmm actually knocked that out fairly quick mind there is a fair bit of devious in it .hmm maybe read experience....knocked up a walnut dust wood glue mix to hide me failings.ha and hide 'em it does.

Poppet has seriously long hair.we have debated me being blinded by a flying plat 🤣

Yeah the leaf blower made me giggle TBF.....what I do know though H is it seems to hold the B2B at around 30C when it's running full tilt...more time needed to verify bud.but frankly after being scared witless by reading a post where the orion was so hot the poster considered it might be dangerous,,if the tool does the job that's me happy enough(y)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #640 ·
For a split second I thought "blimey is Stu really going to leave those cable exposed from the locker to the control panel?", should have known you'd produce a work off art for cable cover panel. Need to see the rest of your build, I know we'll be blown away with the quality and attention to detail (y)
You will mate as it comes together.hopefully before I get too old to use the rummin thing

Tried to be fastidious about everything before connecting batt Pete ha me being serious for a while isn't good ,but this thing needs serious respect.....

621 - 640 of 669 Posts