VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
161 - 180 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Shouldnt you protect those images Stu so people dont copy ?
in what way Drew ? ,

You don't mean copy

you mean to prevent people stealing my potential livelyhood so they can look at my work and leave me smashing my self to bits pulling 12 13hour days on some sh*t hole building site , where as if they paid me I might get the chance to make more ... not only for me but for them too.........everyone looses ( accepting that no one might want to steal my work in the first place and also accepting I've watched a guy try to do just that under my nose)

it's not copying it's balls to the wall.......theft........... stealing it's exactly what folks do with music Drew my other passion.

Mate I don't think of me as sommit special, I do know how hard I graft and if I push me hard enough at some stage I get some form of result, or I own my failing kick my ass and go back and have another shot.:D

The digital world has led to this form of mindset in our populous......... where it's ok to download someone else's images or someone else's music......... but no mate it isn't copying it stealing the livelyhood from folks, .....................it really hurst those of us that like to make stuff but don't really have any sense of business brain

It's a shame in so many ways bro , you will probably never hear me full tilt behind a drum kit somewhere I have a 5/7min long solo recorded in a massively sleep deprived state where some how the stars alinged and it all came out,

you'll probably never hear PMA or Borneo or that mad weather song where I sat in a studio for 5 weeks trying to be sommit I'm not( keyboards) and then had the drums as a treat in 3 takes, funniest thing,....................... lmao stood up forgot I was broken (right knee) cartlidge was stuffed, took out half the kit before hitting the wall ended up in a morrass of cymbols rototoms and hi hat.:ROFLMAO:

folks think it's copying but they have no real conception of the consequences to the lad or lass busting their b*ll*x trying to make stuff.............. it's the saddest of sad things mate:(

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
That is a stunning photo of Charlie Stu, well worth the time and effort you put in to get it, must be so rewarding, not sure at what stage you know you've got the shot, not like the old days when you'd have up the photo after developing it and then see if it's captured what you expected?

"there, right there, it's an eye, that is a sharks eye" Roy Scheider in the 1975 classic.

Glad to hear the build is still progressing, must be close to being able to share some shiny pics of your hard mate :geek:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Drew my name is embedded in the file in sommit called meta data? and obviously that includes copyright. The trouble is although there are ways to persue this sort of stealing how does a guy like me go about that...sure there are laws and also sites that will persue said offender for me for a share of returns but it's not easy. Also one can stick stuff like stus toggin etc with a copyright logo bla de bla on the image, but it kinda spoils the frame for me.

The other thing is my boy is a genius with PC's so he can just walk around anything I can do, I've watched him mate it's jaw dropping.

Ha I've also watched another lad I know try to steal something in full view of me literally under my nose...without a clue in the world he was doing anything wrong. he just liked a piccy and wanted it for his desk top.........that why ya got such a long post Drew folks just don't see it as theft or grasp the consequences to the maker.

Peter my olde mate, slow bud have been floored by some lurgi last couple of weeks not C19 half the one site I work on has it but we can't shake it . I started to work towards moving the RIB, this weekend but I'm so bloody weak gave it a miss for the mo.. it's a right lump.

My plan at this time is move RIB assemble rear cupboard ( all the flatting sandiing type stuff is done,but I'm holding off on polishing for the mo and am not yet happy with finsih
But before I can assemble I want to be exactly sure on what leccy goes where. so I can drill holes in the right places etc etc

I want lights in this rear cupboard a few in fact one above each shelf preddy much plus a couple of usb charge points, so we spent hours this weekend pondering............

I think we will be going with the C-line range of CBE type sockets....the 240 side is a bit tricky as I want to run a spur with 2 sockets on the 16A MCB from the consumer unit and the back box seems to normally take only one cable...the ability to link in 2 parallel has led to much head scratching. Pennine leisure services seem to have an answer, with a square backbox with 2 thingies that secure the cable, the usual round boxes seem to only have room for one securing/ anchoring point for the cable. It's a moving bus I want everything rock solid,no duress on connection points. either that or one uses a junction box but again many have no means to anchor the whole cable. It's not wiring it Pete I get that, it's finding the right tools for the job in camperland

I will also have the 6A MCB ( in consumer unit) running up front to another 240V socket...this will be for a single use a victron mains battery charger, I'm still on the fence as to whether to go with 20 or 30A......200AH of LI FE PO4 battery can really suck in the juice......on the face of it as good old Andy said to me ,most times EHU is plugged in over night..........but I wonder with lithium if those extra amps bein gbunged in quick might be of use........This batt charged should just squeeze into the back of the shell door thingy right behind drivers seat

I'm also closing on having in my head the 12V side not quite there yet Pete, def stuck on 200AH of lith, not sure on batt choice my choice was two sterlings, but i've become aware of a company called Roamer who make a dedicated 200AH battery for under a VW T seat base,which makes life so much more simple to wire than 2X 100AH batts split under each seat...also a more efficient use of physical space. So at this time i'm slightly torn, but my thoughts are runniing along the lines of batt under passenger ( maybe with B2B) and then 2 40MM cables running to drivers with positive busbar neg bus bar shunt etc

We are going for a 12 way 12V fuse box.....ya still with me mate I know leccy ain't your thang :D )...I don't know yet if I'll use all 12 ways, but i've got a few things on the go and would rather have spare circuits unused than not enough...plan is to mount that on rear of drivers seat where I can get at it.
There will also be another usb on a sort of plinth above the work top over the middle cupboard, this will also house the BMV 712 the 2 240 sockets mentioned above the wallas controls and water pump control......and possibly....probably another 2 240V sockets which will hopefully run off an inverter and the 200AH of lith...plinth thingy is not yet made

The lith batt/s will be charged in 3 ways..the mains already mentioned 20 or 30A vic, a vic 12 12 30 B2B and my existing 150W solar panel with my existing 75/ 15 vic MPPT.......I'm hoping to take the load off the vic MPPT to the van battery, on a 10mm cable run with 20A fuses. So once agaiin the solar will charge both sets of batts when the bus isn#t being used...replacing the old split charge relay............

The 30A B2B will stuff 30A into the lith batts, when the engine is running.............but it works in one direction so the load off the MPPT is a needed work around to keep the van batt topped up. The B2B, will run off 16MM cable with 60A fuses, one under bonnet by van bat one by a positive bus bar to protect from lith batt, Mppt will also link into pos bus bar again 20A fuse as will wallas and the weaco CRX 65

I'd really like an inverter, basically it seems brain dead not to harness those lith batts to their full postential plus there are some small 240 needs off grid...say charging cam batts, not big hi amp stuff again I'd like to use victron and try and squeeze that under the drivers... it's gonna be tight mate really tight, but hey that's how I roll not quite sure on size of said inverter

I guess if you are still here mate eventhough leccy is something you kinda struggle with, you have started to get a handle on what else is going on in my head bar making a bit of wood smaller and 'erm SHINY............ the wood is close now bro, bar that plinth thingy and the curved overhead lockers i'm kinda stalling on for the time being. . Two sets of bendy ply are already stuck up and jigged
there is another yet to do, but all in a very raw state

I also got the door drawer thing on the rear of the foremost cupboard reassembled at the weekend complete with homemade oak handle and rack bolt and then spent an age honing the runner placement as it's all so tight . Then did most of a dry fit on said first cupboard........... slowly honing all the strip joints and strips but ran out of light before getting it all completely together, which was a real shame a I wanted to double check where the mains batt charger will fit

So basically i've had no chance for pics mate beyond either trying to work stuff out mentally or hone stuff in the physical world................ and to answer your first bit

She's wild as hell and say a gnats over 3M away she can hear me breath, The stage when I feel I have something is when it's huge infront of me on a PC screen. while the "shoot is on going everything I have is focused on the beastie and the camera controls if a subject leaves and comes back i'll have a looks see check the histograme for exposure but I don't really see the results at that stage, just if it's something in the ball park ........

The difference for me between digi and film is simple with digi I have freedom to press the shutter as many times as I want and there is no incurred expense like with film...it's a freedom thing Pete it allows me to just focus on my subject and not worry on cost as I can bin all the rubbish. and make hundreds of frames and sift though.

Animals are transient constantly moving,if I made imaages of say landscapes maybe film would appeal to me personally.but with ickle beasties and a camera that maybe can make 14 frames in a second, it's not spray and prey it's trying to capture a specific targeted moment..........make sense??

oh and for anyone else if there is anything in all that leccy or the images that you have thoughts on just say Ii don't know nuffin just slowly grinding it out and very open to thoughts

stu

·
Registered
160 Posts
Stu, to me the Roamer battery is a no brainer (assuming it doesn't come with a huge cost penalty). One battery is much, much simpler than two. Plus I get the impression that the guy really does care about what he produces and what people are experiencing from using them.
For the mains charging, not completely sure about how it works on current vs time but 20A seeims to be more than enough. Ive let my AGM battery get down to far too low a percentage (around 30% - oops!) and the battery monitor never seems to suggest more than about 4.5 hours to completely recharge. It's the same for mains or B2B (both are 20A on my van). As you're going to be on EHU overnight (at least), unless you're doing silly late nights or early mornings, this should be enough. Would be useful to check with the guy from Roamer though.
For the mains - keep it simple. If the consumer unit is a long way away from where you want the sockets, run one cable then have a junction box to each. If only a short distance, run 2 cables direct from the consumer unit. They are designed for household ring mains so 2 cables into the MCB should be no problem at all. Wouldn't use ferules though, just twist the cables together. Whichever method, use plenty of cable clamps so the cables can't move. I've basically got mine so even if all the terminals came undone, the cables would remain in the same position.
Interesting about charging both batteries from the MPPT - hadn't thought of that. Love to see how that actually turns out.

... and we NEED some (lots) of pictures ...

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Sorry to see you're down with the lurgi, we have a few colds doing the rounds here at work also, problem is everyone has been super clean since March last year so our immune systems are weaker than my knowledge of electrics ;) Least now you know I read your whole post, and for the most part it made sense, although I won't offer any thoughts on your lecci plans for obvious reasons 😁

The furniture all sounds very interesting, trying to piece it all together in my head to see if I can picture how it's all going to look, either way it'll look awesome judging by the pics you've already posted and the time and prep work you're putting in. No pressure, I'm just nosy is all. Not being well and trying to lug heavy things around do not go well together, get yourself well mate!

Digital makes a lot of sense, as you say you can shoot and shoot without any worry of running out of film, or knackering a part of the film if it's not fully wound back when opening the back up...been there done that. It must be rewarding when scanning through the photos on your pc and you come across some of the wonders you have graced us with, I'd likely have many close ups on my thumb or the inside of the lense cap 😂

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Andy, yup preddy much set on the roamer,it's a so much more logical choice for 200AH more space efficient easier to wire many pluses, I also get that same impression about the chap. Have to say the guys at Sterling were really kind Andy so I do feel a bit bad. Mind it's a big deal to me so need to try and not be sentimental ,costs are similar really,the 1st incarnate of roamer slightly cheeper . the one he's bringing out in Nov I think it's the 28th ( import date) is actually 230AH and almost the same price as 2 sterling 100AH batts ... so dosh isn't really a big deal on one vrs other it's just finding the lump of it right now that's my personal issue, damn life does give me a beating :LOL: I must have done sommit really bad in a past life !!

The 20 or 30A charger is a debate in it's self, your points about the 20 make real sense buddy, I just wonder if there will be the odd time here and there when i'd be grateful for the extra wollop. of the 30...I'm still slap on the fence on this one buddy It's one of those intangibles that is hard to make sense of without use and experience . For me the real biggy is going to be the B2B on the charger front. Thing is I need the mains gizmo to be sure I can charge the Li chem right up to set up the BMV, so it's figuring earlier in my thoughts than I originally anticipated. ( Unless you can correct that musing that is).

Yup I want to keep it VERY simple on the 240V , what's bugging me is simply two sets of wires from consumer or a junction box for that matter just seems nuts ( completely bonkers actually) for 2
X 240 sockets sat side by side,...As I said elsewhere I need a couple of C-line sockets in my grubby mits and some 2.5 artic, then all will become clear I'm convinced there is a workaround ,it seems illogical there isn't, or maybe better put i'm missing something........ bar the PLS back box I mentioned..I want to buy all the sockets etc in one hit mate, so am stalling right now ,while trying to build funds

point well made on securing cables though

The MPPT/load idea isn't mine...i'd bought an AMT 12-2 ( think that's right) to do this job ,but it came here not as what it was pictured/ described so I sent it back ( not seller fault.... maker's), and then came across this idea of the load doing the job, so thought I'd have a crack at it ...we willsee with time mate..ha ha don't hold your breath, but I know what I'm attempting and with you having a similar Watt panel,and possibly a vic MPPT?? if it works for me it should for you.

Pete glad you hung in there bro well done buddy, it's a lot to get one's head around. I know I wrote a tonne but wanted it in a siimple way. that you might just get something from ........I'm no leccy expert have a handle on it and have folks around me whom I can steal advice from, and really try to do me homework...really try mate that's the main reason behind how slow I am ( bar dosh ).. that ethos of trying to leave no stone unturned

It will largely look how it did in the previous pics bar more shiny, not happy with the finish yet but hey...........logo thingy looks cool with the tailgate open. Oh and reffiing that rear cupboard I'm more confident now that all the shelves will fit....I simply can't assemble that thiing and put it in place with the RIB in situ

Really wanted to make " bus " pics this weekend but never stopped until there was no light. I really want something of all the bits before assembly It's the freedom Pete without cost that's what I love about digital, in the heat of a moment when a chance comes one's way one dosen't think am I going to waste half a flim ya just go for it .Maybe this get's it over better :

I had a female sparrowhawk a "spar" in full tilt hunting mode scream down a hedge I was walking, ha it had snowed she nearly put me on my ass I caught just a glimpse of a wing underside . I had a gap in hedge beside me all but threw the camera, at her and hit shutter.......there was just one frame of her in the gap......the point I'm trying to get out if I had of considered anything that piccy wouldn't have been made twas all too fast, it was a while back now mate but still resonates as to the joy of the digital world and trying to make a piccy of wildlife LMAO she is not a captive bird as someone asked me at the time, she also came back for a looksee at me ( probably because I nearly ended up on my butt , think old dude spinning on one foot in snow with brick for a camera and what most consider a big lens........... which I found silly funny

_70F4463 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Oh and Pete cheers on the GWS might be mending :)

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Christ Stu that shot is epic! Especially considering you were doing your interpretation of swan lake on ice, even looks like she is looking right back at you down the lense 👌

Glad you're starting to feel batter, will make working on your furniture easier and more enjoyable. I need to get on with my rebuild, the design is 90% there now, just work is so busy I haven't got round to making the cnc drawings and ordering materials :rolleyes: going to be another Christmas build I think. I best be writing my list and asking the Jolly one for some new shiny tools 😁

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
.. I'm kinda surprised something didn't pop up from behind a hedge and hold up a six card though it was deserved:ROFLMAO:

Pete lmao feeling better was an aberration next day someone else told me I sounded like a bag of nails,funny as (y) god I'm dog ruff right now.. lol wimp

rony...I feed da birds.it's actually beyond nuts what comes here numbers wise......we have maybe 40 plus goldfinch right now,they cost me a friggin fortune but I can't help but help 'em...........any way

Next morn after posting that Spar for you ( spar is falconer's term bro for female sparrow hawk,musket is the male) I'm stood on my front doorstep bunging shed loads of food out for the morass, a musket came in like an absolute bullet to hit the exact spot where the goldies will feed, fella scared the living daylights out of me I jumped feet he turned maybe a foot and a half from my feet, utterly breathtaking dude. Tis how it works if one creates a density of numbers the predators cotton on, mind it's astounding seeing it all so so close and the very next day after showing you her. The sparrow hawk male and female are very VERY different in size mate also colour she's browns he is grey and on back and can be a stunning barred buff/orange underside..................So basically they hunt different species ...........when their kids are eggs and she is sitting he nabs small stuff and when the kids hatch and she is sort of still tied to the nest all the baby small birds he catches gets the sparrow hawks kids growing...but as they get bigger and she gets some freedom and the kids apetite have grown she starts to bring home the bacon, much bigger birds. It's astoundingly clever how that pair work mate. I've not yet tagged the lad/ the musket, but this is possibly a young female. just for you to really get a handle on those eyes properly, She has just killed right in front of me ( one of my precious little mates, sadly....... i'm pragmatic about this don't find it easy but she needs to eat too....................

I'm sat just inside me front door,the eye bro it stares right through ya huh?

_S2I4848doorstep sparDn smjj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Back to bus land........Pete when you finally do the next makeover.....please make me aware buddy.........pushing so hard right now ,I'd hate missing how you solve the probs you want to solve..'ere mate maybe i'll have got to my first design by then who knows :ROFLMAO:(y)

Work is a complete and utter PITA, did 10 hours today, but asked if I could pull a carpet off cut from a skip, ( WTF is the matter with me). I came home like a seriously rusty bag of nails head banging like a good un weak as a kitten..............and then only set about fitting it ( I'm def my own worst enemy).........ha "poppet" has been smiling ever since

the little things bro:cool:

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Head down and soldier on Stu :LOL:
Awesome pics 😎

Seriously though mate nothing is worth killing yourself over .
Work life balance is very important .

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Head down and soldier on Stu :LOL:
Awesome pics 😎

Seriously though mate nothing is worth killing yourself over .
Work life balance is very important .

Cheers on piccies Drew, and yup I know mate,I just have this monkey on me back, can't help it mate how i'm made I guess: that said I rung me boss yesterday and told him if no one books me I'm off tomorrow ie today, hence me reply now :) Slept sommit like 13 hours last night, still feel like a bag of nails, so am in pottering mode, easing doors etc for her carpet...................

.I'll get me work life balance together once the camper is sorted Drew.that's the point of the bus if I'm away I can be grafting all the time, I was hoping to make some piccies for ya 'll today mate, but might not get there. Trouble is to finish camper I need dosh and sadly for folks like moi that means cold hard graft,is what it is bro. but yup I hear ya dude

Buddy your bus is mainly built around 240 hook up, leccy wise...........enlighten me mate how many sockets do you have and where are they located,? As always mate looking to delve into your experience. I'm hoping to have enough spare pennies to buy all me CBE type sockets shortly Drew want to get them all at once get some continuity in there ie they all look the same. Then I can be sure I have all the tools and also fit some into cabinets press assembly, just making life easier for myself

cheers for the kindness bro I know your right, just needs must tis all

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Great pictures there @Soundz !

Thanks john, so much irony showing the sparrow hawk pics...yesterday around 4PM had my little musket mate on the ground 3foot or so from our front door, damn he is spectacular absolutely stunning !! ,The contrast of the slate grey back against that gorgeous orange and white barring really makes the muskets stand out from the girls, man he's to die for.I so want a pic of him, Blummin 'eck I only put the false front door to bed yesterday as well, looks like a might change that. He's obviously here regular just now, but when am I gonna find the time to stake him out lord knows

I'm redoing all ours Stu , at present i have 2 doubles , one with usb's built in for phones etc .
I'm jacking it all next year .

Thanks buddy....Drew what do you mean by jacking it all,? you selling the bus mate?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I think the bus will be swapped out for something bigger but not until the prices become slightly less ridiculous.
I actually meant jacking this 'work' so ive got more time for 'play' .

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Each and every pic you post Stu is mind blowing, I said it before but feel it needs to be said again, you really have some skills! Not only in taking the photos, but understanding how to get into the best place and positions. Match that with the interesting posts that accompany the pics makes for compelling reading (y) Then you go and start talking about electrics and I get stumped 😂

I'll make sure to give you a heads up when I finally get round to my build, just need to find a gap at work to sneak some panels through.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
I think the bus will be swapped out for something bigger but not until the prices become slightly less ridiculous.
I actually meant jacking this 'work' so ive got more time for 'play' .
Ahh gotcha, god i'd love to not be grafting, think i'll die on site, that's the tag ya get for trying to do sommit right and be a care worker for 10 years.......... financially crippling even on a six day week....that said I still pinch me self there is a bus on me drive, life could be a damn site worse (y) :)

Walking around bus fest seeing all the 60K ( or thereabouts) camper conversions was bewildering Drew and seeing how many T6/6.1 campers have popped up locally and having an idea just how much they cost equally so. I do wonder where all that dosh comes from. Mind I'm not really jealous don't care much for the prefab route ,would just like a few years of life before I croak with no work,so much I'd love to do, ha play;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Pete thanks real kind really really kind..........mum told me the nature stuff was in me before I could walk, i'd crawl to a french door type wiindow and she would lie beside me trying to work out what had me entranced and there was always sommit a mouse a bird a beastie .......... I guess that's how I bumble into stuff, probably being doing it over half a century, the hows are not totally concious but i've learnt to trust my guts. It seems bonkers to say I can feel a need to be somewhere, and follow that, so many images come from that mate, sounds silly and wishy washy in print. I think it's in all of us bro, but ,we as a collective just don't hear it anymore,as our society drifts away from the natural world we are sort of loosing a skillset that I sort of am hanging on to. ????.............. The other side is all the incredible and amazing image makers that have helped me bro.... they have spent so much time on me mate, if there is anything in my images. a huge credit is owed, a dept to those lads ,and lasses mate, that push me.........I'm like you with leccy in the digi world Pete it's a ruddy knife fight me using photoshop but still they help...it's proper heart warming mate they have astounding ability and they help a scumbag like me.

Hmm see life is like this mate as much as anything throws ya like leccy for you, or me an post processing images or writing ( Eng lang stuffs me bro)............ if ya keep coming back at it over and over, maybe ya wont master it...but ya can learn enough to get by and possibly more. As with our vans mate each of us is different we are all given things we are naturally more gifted at and things we struggle like hell with. The struggles maybe can't be beat in a lifetime, but ya can do a good job of messing with them.

Pete do go and dig some images out of a male sparrow hawk I can't show you one image of my own mate, see if you can find Chris Packem and a bird called "Max".as they get older the orange becomes more dominant,, they live along side us but few really see 'em cause they are so damn fast so damn fast. Their party trick is to hunt a hedge real low the prey then flushes upwards out of the hedge, a flick of the wing and they kill upside down above the hedge....it's all happening under our noses bro we just don't see it anymore

Oh and yes please on the 'eads up sorry for the long posts bro, I guess it's passion and wanting to share all that, stuff

IN IT:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Softly ripped back in to router mode today........not quite sure whether i'l be able to pull this one off , aiming for some curved overhead lockers, but it will be a big ask. Kinda got myself between a rock and a hard place. I'm still slowly varnishing a couple of bits as being dog ruff allows building the coats The only other thing I was really going to do bar the lockers for the mo is buiild a sort of little plinth. . This plinth thingy as I call it sits between the window on the drivers side and the back of my rearmost tall cupboard on top of the work top. It's basically there to house switches 'n' sockets 240 sockets USB cig lighter socket water pump walls control...BMV 712...that type of stuff. The rock'n'hard place is basically the height of it as it will mate up to the overhead lockers and being curved sods i'm a bit at a loss to nab that measurement.

I have already made the curved doors yonks back but was going to put this locker thing off until later, basically so I could finish the build and play camping before the summer ended, But obviously I've missed all that being so ruddy slow. I'm basically hoping to preddy much hang the lockers...build them off a bit of a length of the work top, but that top bit is gonna be a pig to make, I'll double up the WT on the bit that's most visible ,so it will sit a gnat's under the pop top base board, There are all manner of obstacles like the pop hydraulic struts and also the slope of the roof down to where it meets the van sides which all sort of relate to me little leccy plinth. Sp i've set my mind to attacking the oak first if I can sort that then the rest should follow. Seen as I need to graft to grab funds for the lith battery etc to finish the leccy side I may as well may use of the time window and attack said lockers...leastways that's the plan at this time. as always we'll see where it all falls. shame really wanted to play making pics of the build this weekend sort of got over the heat ache of loosing that leveret shoot but never got the time. Have preddy much nailed down what sockets and surrounds we want to use now and hopefully a supplier which has taken an age

Ha I always knew this would be slow

stu

161 - 180 of 226 Posts