VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recieved loads of advice regarding which type of spacer to use, 20mm.

looking for some more clarification to my thinking on spacers. Recieved loads of advice about 50:50 each way currently.

As I see it the options are as below with option 2 costing about twice option 1. ( not my major driving force!),

1) Use very long wheel bolts, making a sandwich of the spacer

advantages -
1 connection from the wheel to the hub.
cost

disadvantages -
bolt flex up and down as you drive?
bolt stretch?

2) Bolt the spacer to the hub and then bolt the wheel to the spacer.

advantages -
solid bolted hub extension
fixed spacer with no chance of movement

disadvantages -
extra joint
bolting to the spacer, quality issues??

·
Registered
163 Posts
im running h&r spacers/pcd adaptors, the quality is second to none, they bolt on to the hub perfect, ive had no problems with them coming lose or wheels coming lose. I personally hate the idea of running wheels with out the correct centre bore or none at al as some spacers are. You get what you pay for at the end of the day and there big heavy vehicles! i know there expensive but go h&r mateT:

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
this was how i used spacers, i was also altering the pcd so didnt have as many options... h&r are good, but i personally wouldnt want to bolt into an alloy spacer as i have seen threds strip very easy....................

these are zinc plated billet steel, bolted to the hub with m14 1.5 12mm allen head bolts, high tensile spline base bolts pushed though from the back. ( actually standard t25 bolts )
VERY STRONG... the results are my mondial alloys fitted up safe and secure...

·
Registered
163 Posts
this was how i used spacers, i was also altering the pcd so didnt have as many options... h&r are good, but i personally wouldnt want to bolt into an alloy spacer as i have seen threds strip very easy....................

these are zinc plated billet steel, bolted to the hub with m14 1.5 12mm allen head bolts, high tensile spline base bolts pushed though from the back. ( actually standard t25 bolts )
VERY STRONG... the results are my mondial alloys fitted up safe and secure...

sorry mate but your wrong, h&r ones have steal inserts, also one of the biggest motor sport companies in the world, they dont sell sh**t. The quality are 10 times better than yours above and are just as secure.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
sorry mate but your wrong, h&r ones have steal inserts, also one of the biggest motor sport companies in the world, they dont sell sh**t. The quality are 10 times better than yours above and are just as secure.[/QUOTE

well everybody has an opinion and clearly you think yours are better, Rasp: h&r might have a massive motorsport back ground and i stand corrected if they have steel insersts, but we are talking about vans here and to be fair ive never seen the t4 cup racing series on tv ( or anywhere else ) so motorsport background has little or nothing to do with your argument... alloy is alloy, ( its a soft metal ) weather it has a steel insert on not... steel is what hubs are made from on every run of the mill car made today so ile stick with the steel adapters and you stick with your motorsport background alloy ones......

ps, i never said they was sh!t, in fact i did agree that h+r are good ( unlike you saying mine are e ) i was offering some advice from my own experience with adapters i have used over the years.......................

bottom line is, steel is stronger than alloy..

·
Super Moderator
9,271 Posts
Forgive me if I am wrong but my h and r spacers are alloy to go with an alloy wheel which moves the van quite nicely and I don't have any problems. Alloy means lighter and there for reduces in unsprung weight over a steel spacer. Mater of opinion:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ive gone with eibach hubcentric bolt on types, they are absolutely solid and would definitely recommend them! In my mind once they are on and tightened they are pretty much part of the hub. I would much rather that type of set up than just a "bolt through" type.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Forgive me if I am wrong but my h and r spacers are alloy to go with an alloy wheel which moves the van quite nicely and I don't have any problems. Alloy means lighter and there for reduces in unsprung weight over a steel spacer. Mater of opinion:)

and what was your t4 hubs made out of from the factory....? you put your bolts through your alloy wheel and it bolts into steel hubs....! now, you put your bolt through your alloy wheel and it bolts into ALLOY...
like you and others will say, opinions...! there probably isnt a right way or wrong way, but a preferences from people who have used adapters...
i like to bolt my wheels into a piece of steel and not into a piece of alloy....

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have h&r bolt through on my r32 golf, driven hard! Never had any issues,

Would never run alloy pcd adapters/bolt to spacers,
I have seen far to many fail/strip threads, cause accidents,
(Even the ones with steel inserts)

Personally I like steel,
Would talk to a engineering shop to do a bolt through spacer made of of steel,
With correct centre bore for hub and alloys using,
(And then use the correct length bolts)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for all your feedback, the overiding message is get the bolt to hub type. I will have a ring around over the next couple of days to see if I can find a package to include the spacers, Range Rover wheel nuts inclocking ones.

·
Super Moderator
9,271 Posts
and what was your t4 hubs made out of from the factory....? you put your bolts through your alloy wheel and it bolts into steel hubs....! now, you put your bolt through your alloy wheel and it bolts into ALLOY...
like you and others will say, opinions...! there probably isnt a right way or wrong way, but a preferences from people who have used adapters...
i like to bolt my wheels into a piece of steel and not into a piece of alloy....
T4 I've a t5 and spacers not adaptors which go through and bolt to a steel/iron hub as per the title of the thread:) adaptors on the other hand ....i wouldn't trust a threaded bolt t alloy.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
On my T4 I had hubcentric spacers supplied by Simon, aka 'colese' on this forum, high quality bolt through type. I'm after some spacers for my T5 now and will deffo be getting another set from Simon T: x

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI im new to this forum, this is first post,have bought an 06 model 2.5 tdi t5 t28 and have purchased a set of tourag alloys 10x19" 5x120 but are 60mm offset, do i need 25mm spacers for these and also would 245/45/19 102y xl be ok to fit, can anyone advise me please, regards John.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi John

Also a newb. I bought some Range Rover wheels with et58 see link below

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=218955

if you have an ofset of 60mm, et60? you will need spacers the question is how big. Having spoken to a few people I am being told you I will need an ofset between et38 ~et45.

By fitting the wheel to the van I was able to have agood look at clearance and the willitfit website has been interesting. just trying to find some good spacers

Good luck

Dave

·
Registered
725 Posts
As chezzy said. Get them made out of steel.

If you have a search around the reputable companies will make there spacers/ adaptors out of steel when it comes to heavier vehicles.

You can't really argue the fact that steel ones aren't the safest method. Not the lightest I grant.

Each to there own though.

Mine have been custom made out of steel. I only want to have to do a job once and not have to worry about safety afterwards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.