VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was round a mates earlier and he showed me the gap betwean his sliding door and his 8.5" rear wheels. My plans were to go 10" so I'm going to have to space out the side roller. Whats the best way to do this?

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Take it off and put something behind it.. Go down b&q and buy some sort of wedge so it tappers out.. Easy T:
Sorry cant find any pics..
I should get the wheels first though fella ;)

·
11,653 Posts
Something which wont perrish mate.. Rubber you could shape to fit better..

Whats the offset on these 10j's anyway? Take it your vento, sorry vans not lowered?

Here with 10's your gonna need something like this

·
11,653 Posts
No it doesnt look good, you can buy a cover made for a T4 which would tidy it up but they are very expencive.. Looking at all your other threads youve got enough on your plate getting these on.. I doubt they will fit mate if you really are 120mm down tbh but good luck :ILU:
One of my old vans was running a 9.5j rear et35 85mm drop and it was close as you can get.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I'd have left him sorting it out with a bit of wood after that, kieran I:

Just kidding.... does look like you got plenty to deal with though!

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
You can still get the LHD ones in Germany will.
Then flip it, it's not as neat as it's a flat top, but it's better than using gold coins (although probably more expensive !)

Spacing it out with iPhones would be cheaper probably :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,
I’m writing from Australia with an unusual request. I doubt this has come-up before.

Does anyone know the physical maximum width you can space-out the sliding side-door on a T4/T5.

This would be the limit beyond which the slide no longer works smoothly, the mechanism jams or the top of the door contacts the bodywork.

I hear you asking, why does he want to know?

Well, I’m planning a mini offroad caravan based on the chopped-off rear of a T4/T5 LWB, bolted to a separate chassis running 35” tyres and providing some 600mm of ground clearance … not something there’s much call for in Britain.

To maintain the same track width as my tow vehicle and maximize side stability, I would need to widen the guards by some 80-90mm, and with them the space-out of the sliding side door.

Looking forward to any help you can offer.

Cheers, Gus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Come on guys,
It's about a week since I posted and not even a 'hello' as a courtesy.

I didn't have anything to do with the cricket results, honest, I'd just like to hear from anyone over there regarding my query.

Even if none of you has a specific answer to my question regarding maximum sliding door space-out, could you direct me to
someone who does.

Cheers,

Gus.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi bud

Im afraid I dont have the answer, heck I dont even know what a normal wedge size is....

What i can say though is this, be brave and give it a go with a block of wood and be a pioneer on the scene. Without people doing what is the 'impossible' nothing would move forward to finding new boundaries. Do it with a wooden wedge so if it doesnt work then you can shave some off til it does work and then make a solid one.

BE BRAVE MAN and then gloat about your success

GOOD LUCK T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
G'day Christophski,
I know you're right about just having a go, and that's my usual approach.

Only in this case it's a bit chicken-or-egg ... the reason I haven't bought a van yet is because unless the
sliding-door can be successfully spaced way-out, the project is doomed.

Given the relatively small cost for a damaged T4 shell, looks like I best take the plunge ... I could always
resell it.

Great idea to use wood as the spacer. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
G'day Christophski,

Only in this case it's a bit chicken-or-egg ... the reason I haven't bought a van yet is because unless the

Given the relatively small cost for a damaged T4 shell, looks like I best take the plunge ... I could always
resell it.

Loads of UK based people who make spacers to do this.

Eg http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=233413

And TBH you would have done better starting a new thread.

·
Registered
649 Posts
G'day Christophski,

resell it.

Hey up, glad you're going to give it a go. Let us all knwo how you get on. As said, start a project thread and then you can boast about the spacer once you have the knowledge it works.

One thing I would say is once you know the size of block of wood that works, make it out of something solid as the wood will rot away with damp etc... not sure how much of that you get in Aus though lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts