VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres how it looked when it arrived in December 2008

I set about installing central locking and electric windows as soon as I had removed all of the AA gadgets and about a mile of wire which will come in handy for years to come, I also removed the rear jump start point and the huge cable running to it, I decided to keep the front one as it may come in handy one day.

Started tearing out all of the bits and bobs that I didnt need

lots of stripping out as the AA hide wires and gadgets everywhere

Starting to carpet the insides, started with the wheel arches

two layers of thermawrap in the roof and I used celotex on the sides

Also put a layer inside the door cards

Carpeting almost finished

I used Stainless M6 csk bolts all round including the roof lining and they all go into steel rivnuts, this turned out to be a labour of love and took ages as each hole had to be reamed to size first and primed before installation, I even wore out a rivnut setting tool and had to obtain a replacement after setting about 100 of them. I had sore hands after squeezing that lot in manually.

Carpeting finished at last, side panels were all the original AA panels covered in Megavanmats carpet.

Cannons Forge Bed starting to cut the boards to shape

Cannons forge Bed with the ply tops carpeted too.

replaced the double passenger seat with a single and put an ebay steering wheel cover on, got the glovebox sorted and tidied up the various parts of the dash that had been drilled for AA gadgets, mostly replaced with new items from VW which were quite reasonable but some were sourced secondhand and some repaired. also added the absolutely essential 8 ball gear knob (the first bit of bling I bought)

After a visit to the sprayshop Kustom Kolours in Christchurch. It also grew a rear spoiler from tidy ts,however it needed loads of reshaping before it was sprayed as the fit was terrible when I first tried to fit it, it had so much excess material that it hit the back of the roof with the doors closed, it also had a dip in the top surface which I filled. it was a lot of work and trial fits but worth it in the end.

Starting to build the interior units. Vohringer ply and all the edging and hinges/catches and the smev unit and fridge (waeco crp40 with removable compressor) all came from Grassroutes leisure in fareham, that was a very expensive day!! all of the cutting and edging done with a basic secondhand router and a home made set of corner guides used in conjunction witha 30mm guide collet. it was a slow process cutting each corner separately and then cutting the straight sections in between with a straight guide, it took a whole day just to cut the three doors out and edge and hinge them, but it shows if you are careful it can all be done without the benefit of expensive CNC routers, vohringer is easy stuff to work with and does not chip or split when you cut it, you can even use hand planes on the edges without a problem, however it is only faced with a very thin film of shiny laminate and Im sure it would not take much impact to damage the surface, very light though as I can lift the whole unit with one hand.

Units still not finished but getting there, still nothing connected.

another view of the side unit you can see the remote compreesor from the fridge.

Some more detail of the speaker pods, made from two layers of 12mm MDF the 6x9 speakers came from Maplin and sound excellent and they were under £25 a pair,

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just fitted this today, it came out of and old golf at the scrappy, it has a ten second delay after you close the door, added in an additional ignition live wire up the A pillar to cancel the delay when the key is turned, a neat and east mod to do and the light unit fits perfectly in the original hole.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Snig, Ill try and get some more loaded up soon- its a slow process as I havent worked out a good way of getting in and out of photobucket so I have uploaded all of these one at a time, Im a bit pants when it comes to computers, Ive been on here four months and only just started to post pics, Im much more at home with me spanners than a keyboardT:

·
Registered
504 Posts
looks to me like your doin a superb job of your interior :cool: think i'll do the interior light mod as i have one already.

·
Registered
532 Posts
all of the cutting and edging done with a basic secondhand router and a home made set of corner guides used in conjunction witha 30mm guide collet. it was a slow process cutting each corner separately and then cutting the straight sections in between with a straight guide, it took a whole day just to cut the three doors out and edge and hinge them,
Hey
Any pictures of the tools set up you had with the all the guides used?
Steve

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There you go pics as requested of the guides and tools I used and made for fabricating my interior units.

The top wooden one is the straight guide, the other one is for the corners, I made two radius curves to see which one looked best, made from aircraft ali sheet and laminated onto 6mm mdf, all filed by hand, also in the pic is my router,
This is the cutter from wealden tools, cuts a 2mm wide x 5mm deep slot for the edging to slot into.
This is the 30mm collet which sits in the base of the router and fits into the guides, came free with the router but an add on item can be bought for any router for around £15 with a universal base.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is my underfloor water tank from CAK, holds about 13 gallons.

Another shot of the tank removed with load spreaders attached

Another shot of the tank, not connected yet except the filler

The black 40mm hose is the filler, neck is under the bonnet

A shot with the tank removed to show the bracketry.

This is my split VSR and fuse mounted on the bulkhead.

Next these came out

Like this

And these went in, T4sRUs -40 mm

The results, from this height.

To this, need to wind the front down next

Wound down the front a bit and the on went the new wheels, and hey presto !!! Here She Is

·
Registered
609 Posts
The interior looks a quality install and the van looks awesome with the lowered suspension and the wheels. I can hardly believe they are only 16'', they look great.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Been doing my electrics this week

Battery vent tubes are vinyl tube and fish tank fittings which exit under the van.

Not all connected yet but you get the idea, I moved the pump into a different area now as i figured
it was not a good idea to put it so close to the mains unit.

Picture showing the new location of the water pump.

My marine switch panel, it lightst up the switches too

two views of my external hookup plug, capped to stop the muck getting in.

My gas box, it has a big dropout under it in case of a leak.

More to come soon.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Finally got my upholstery done this week thanks to my mum who is fantastic with a sewing machine, the fabric came from Ikea and was cheap as chips yet very high quality according to my mum.

View from rear through barn doors.

Look at the workmanship- cheers mum!!!

And before anyone asks I dont think she would do another for all the tea in China apparently these were a total B*****d to cover

Velcro tabs to stop the top cushions moving about, the base cushions are not restrained at all but they dont move a bit no matter how hard you drive.

And finally folded out as a bed.

Curtains will be next and I like the idea of the magnetic ones as I hated the horrible old rattly things that I had in my old type 2 they were noisy and always in the way, maybe a front sunroof too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are the tyres I opted for in the end - cheap as chips NEUTONS from Ebay, Ive had them on for a month now and Im well impressed with them- cant knock em at under £50 a tyre delivered, 225/55/16 with a 99 load rating reinforced, and the sidewall has a nice thick rim to protect your alloys ( it works Ive tested it )T:

1 - 20 of 249 Posts