VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much as the title says....

I am going surfing tomorrow, but my wife is at work, so i am on my own. I went to Timpsons today to have a 'non transponder' [blade only] key cut. The chap behind the counter put it in a computerised key reader type thing, and said he couldn't do it?

I went straight to my main dealer and he told my they stopped doing them ages ago.

Anyone had one done at a key cutters or am i knocking the pin out of my spare? :*

It's a 2013 2.0 trendline if it makes a difference?

:confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had one cut from a local key cutter, he gave it to me for free as it had a whole out of the middle, looked doubtful that it would work but it did no problem.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Or try an Aquapac - been using them for years.

I did get my key soaked once (used a plastic bag in a balloon - it didn't work) but it still worked fine!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Local cobbler/key cutter did mine no problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You won't get it tomorrow but probably a day or 2 after. Try carkeyhelp.co.uk I just sent them the serial number and back came a surf key that opens the doors all for a fiver.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Had one cut at a "proper" lock smiths for £10 put it in the key pouch on my leash,
If anyone in Oxfordshire is after one go to the key pit in Old Maston T:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had one cut from a local key cutter,.
Try a "proper" locksmiths .
Local cobbler/key cutter did mine .
Had one cut at a "proper" lock smiths for £10 put it in the key pouch on my leash,
:
are these for the T5 or T5.1? I guess i am a little bit thrown because it 'looked' like Timpsons had all of the latest gear with their computerised key reader?

You won't get it tomorrow but probably a day or 2 after. Try carkeyhelp.co.uk I just sent them the serial number and back came a surf key that opens the doors all for a fiver.
I could only see for T5 - it maybe worth an email for me tomorrow

Or try an Aquapac - been using them for years.
!
I am just a little afraid to take my remote into water - but I guess it works or you would be giving a negative review?

I popped the pin out of the Spare key and drilled a hole in the blade it and put it on a key ring. Perfect :D
it looks like this may well be what i will be doing tomorrow - if only i would have thought ahead and asked this question a fortnight ago.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

:)

Edit because i missed the post the first time - also thanks to Bendwg

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just sneakily hide the key somewhere .lock the van with the key with one door open gaff about for ten mins or so then close the open door.
I had mine cut at a local lock place won't start the van or turn off the alarm but ok in a fix as a get out of jail type way.
...I used to do this when i had my ten year old citroen dispatch, but the whole time i was in the water i had the 'heebie-jeebies' that my van would not be there when i got back to it. My blood pressure would be through the roof now that I have something that is actually worth stealing....

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...as a temporary 'get me through' solution, I wrapped my key in kitchen roll [to absorb any drips], then put in in a sealed 'sandwich bag', triple folded on itself, then parcel taped it all tight.

After about two hours of me floating in the water and falling off my board i opened it all back up again....

There were a couple of spots on the outside of the kitchen roll, but as i unwrapped it, they had not soaked through. Phew!

I will update the thread if i can get just a blade from one of the suppliers mentioned - if not I will aquapac.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Loads of cars are going missing at the Beaches these days. They watch at a distance with binoculars, where you hide your key and who you are with. They watch you going off into the water for a few hours. Easy pickings for a half decent tea leaf.

Suggest same as Cali, Aquapac.
Been using mine for years and never leaked once. Worst case it leaks and it's an inconvience. Alternatively, return to the car park, vans gone and you can kiss goodbye to an insurance payout.
Me, I would never risk it..!!!

:ILU:

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Loads of cars are going missing at the Beaches these days. They watch at a distance with binoculars, where you hide your key and who you are with. They watch you going off into the water for a few hours. Easy pickings for a half decent tea leaf.

Suggest same as Cali, Aquapac.
Been using mine for years and never leaked once. Worst case it leaks and it's an inconvience. Alternatively, return to the car park, vans gone and you can kiss goodbye to an insurance payout.
Me, I would never risk it..!!!

:ILU:
Exactly!

I did have one fail once but luckily my mate was using it! Just check the seal fairly regularly bad rinse it out with fresh water each time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i also had a aquapac leak when surfing,but i double bag up in the form of a condom and a aquapac,but now i have a spare key/blade cut only as i have the t5 so can lock drivers door and not worry about keyfob getting wet.

·
Registered
368 Posts
God all this double bagging and rolling in paper in madness. When your going surfing you want to put suit on turn round lock car and go not about with sandwich bags and condoms! Has the world gone mad. Take blade off, drill hole in it and put on key ring stick in your wet suite key pouch and enjoy tubular heaven. LOL:

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
God all this double bagging and rolling in paper in madness. When your going surfing you want to put suit on turn round lock car and go not about with sandwich bags and condoms! Has the world gone mad. Take blade off, drill hole in it and put on key ring stick in your wet suite key pouch and enjoy tubular heaven. LOL:
What...???
So everytime I go surfing, I pull up dismantle my keyfob immobiliser because that's easy. Attach to wetsuit and when I'm finished try and piece it all together and pray it works successfully enabling me to drive home...???
Think I will just stick it in my Aquapac and not have to worry about all that...!!!

Each to their ownA:

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Now we live by the beach, I hardly ever have to stash my key- which is handy.

BMW keys come apart/unclip leaving a non battery section which is safe to get wet - very handy for surfers!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts