VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, T:T:T:
at the point where I need a solution to carry my spare wheel (big 50/50 tyres on 15" steel rims, 265/75 I think). Its a syncro lwb so won't fit in the usual place.
Seen the piccys of the canadian guy, vwracks, and decided thats what to go for. Have been chatting to a mate who is a metalworker/fabricator and he's into looking at making up a prototype. Because of the weight of the spare I've decided to opt for the wider frame as the weight is distributed more evenly across the door, and essentially near the pivot/hinge points; also to mount the spare as high on the frame as possible(before reaching the roof line) so that opening the tailgate is as easy as possible being near the hinges again. Have yet to research uprated gas strutts yet, so any advice would be appreciated.A:A:A: So I'm here to gauge the level of interest A:A:A: also to see what price people would be willing to pay for one. Cheers Jorj (Malvern) T:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'm giving mine a bit of a refurbish this weekend. Had it off as the van was getting some paintwork done so thought I might as well do the bit of welding it was needing and paint it... The latch on the tailgate has seen better days so thought why not price up a new one... £200. Just for the latch! Looks like I'll be giving it a rub down and paint also :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Everyone, T:T:T:
at the point where I need a solution to carry my spare wheel (big 50/50 tyres on 15" steel rims, 265/75 I think). Its a syncro lwb so won't fit in the usual place.
Seen the piccys of the canadian guy, vwracks, and decided thats what to go for. Have been chatting to a mate who is a metalworker/fabricator and he's into looking at making up a prototype. Because of the weight of the spare I've decided to opt for the wider frame as the weight is distributed more evenly across the door, and essentially near the pivot/hinge points; also to mount the spare as high on the frame as possible(before reaching the roof line) so that opening the tailgate is as easy as possible being near the hinges again. Have yet to research uprated gas strutts yet, so any advice would be appreciated.A:A:A: So I'm here to gauge the level of interest A:A:A: also to see what price people would be willing to pay for one. Cheers Jorj (Malvern) T:
Did you get anywhere with getting one of these made up?? I am looking for one... thanks

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,746 Posts
I really can't understand why somebody ( small enterprise ) doesn't get onto this bandwagon, as there's definitely a market for these.

A company that manufactures sidebars or sidesteps, would be ideal for a project such as this. Material of choice I think would have to be something like marine grade alumimium, probably a cheaper alternative than galvanised steel as you would also have to finish off the steel with a powder-coat finish for longevity, you could also get away with smaller diameter tubing as well I think, and I'm pretty sure you could mig weld 14 gauge aluminium tubing quite well.

Unfortunately I know nothing about welding ! :* so I'm not volunteering ! I:

I did spend a little time looking into this a while back, as I wanted one ( still do ! ). I also spent a little time looking at the alternatives, but I don't think that anybody has come up with anything that really fits the bill yet. The swing arm assembly and the mounting points are the easiest to design I think, but the hinges will be a major problem as they sit right at the curved section of the rear offside corner panel of the van. I'm pretty sure that a decent latch and locking mechanism, would already be available off something else. I estimated that the wheel carrier should at the very least be able to support 25Kg ( tyre and rim ) plus the weight of the carrier ! So the rear offside corner of the van would need a spreader plate to help support the weight if you catch my drift.

I would be prepared to pay in the region of £500 for a well engineered wheel carrier that's for sure.

I wish your mate all the best Jorj, he's going to need it. But I'm interested, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

TURK

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,746 Posts
Just realised folks ......... this thread is over a year and a half old ! Damn :cool:

The original poster hasn't posted since March ......... there was me thinking there was hope for a spare wheel carrier :(

There have been a few posts over the years about people giving this a go, but nothing ever gets off the ground so to speak ........... maybe I should be looking into this.

So the same question applies - would you pay £500 for one ?

TURK

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I really can't understand why somebody ( small enterprise ) doesn't get onto this bandwagon, as there's definitely a market for these.

TURK
So you would think but alas no. I know of one company that tried but the guy couldn't get it done. Ended in a screaming match (from him) and me getting a refund. I thought 6 months wait and considering I'd paid up front was being plenty patient.

Apparently it's not as easy at sounds. Some subtle bends and angles I think. I got lucky in the end an found a beaten up OEM one that I was able to get working. Still need to look at a better latch system on it though.

I also had a look at one of the landrover ones. Didn't get close enough to really having a go but landed one before I started going a bit creative with it and buying one.

On one of the Facebook groups there's a a version been fabbed up that fits in a similar manner to a tow bar. Looks ok and certainly does the job.

I've also heard of people trying to reinforce the doors and bolt the wheel directly to that. Over stressed things in the end I think.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Personally, having had vans with the carrier for over 10 years, I'd prefer a large multi purpose rack over the whole door that could carry bikes and a spare. Again think its a big ask, but I don't think the factory wheel carrier is all that but its the best option at present.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally I like to openquire my tail gate without propping it up so that's why I sorseed the real deal I love it its ace

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello All T:
I::*I: Been a while I know, I'm sorry :D Been busy don't you know. Families and all that !!!
Anyway a quick update from me. I ended up not having much luck with getting anyone to help me out, then i took the lazy route when someone offered me a T4 Fiamma bike rack nice n cheap. I bought that and has been on my tailgate for some time now. Spent afew weeks carrying around a long piece of wood to prop up the now very heavy tailgate, until i acquired some nice stainless steel gas struts that do the required job nicely A: So not my ideal solution, as i'd like to still be able to occasionally carry a Jerry can of fuel or water on the back, but will do until I find something better.

A: Happy New Year to All by the way A:

Cheers Jorj :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts