VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
aka jonnymb74
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my van I've got 4 x 18x8 wheels with a 41 offset. Tyres are 235/45.

Got a cheap spare which is 18x8 with a 45 offset. The same tyre will go on this (235/45). Question is, will this fit in the spare tyre carrier underneath?

My van's in the workshop so I can't try it.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
So, on my van I've got 4 x 18x8 wheels with a 41 offset. Tyres are 235/45.

Got a cheap spare which is 18x8 with a 45 offset. The same tyre will go on this (235/45). Question is, will this fit in the spare tyre carrier underneath?

My van's in the workshop so I can't try it.
Don't 100% know the answer to that one, but when I was messing around with my 16" wheels; things were pretty tight. I ended up storing it inside to be safe; and kept the 15" steel in the carrier (always use a locking bolt too) T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,136 Posts
My 17s won't fit.
I just carry the std 15" like scruffy.
With the "original" size tyre, there is only a 3% difference in rolling radius, so fine for a spare (just need to carry a set of bolts for it too, as the alloy ones are different).

·
aka jonnymb74
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, sounds like I might just be sticking with the original spare wheel.

Like I say my van's in the workshop and the new wheels are yet to go on - bolt size isn't something that crossed my mind?
There was me thinking that the original bolts would be ok? Might sound daft but how will I know if they need changing, I'm guessing there would be an obvious length difference? How will I know and figure out what length to order up if they do need changing?

Don't want them falling off halfway down the road! :eek:

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,136 Posts
It's not just length.
There are also tapered or radius versions for the seating.

Can't remember which is which, but my steel needs different bolts to the aftermarket alloys (OEM alloys used the same bolts...I think.)

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Your right the OEM use the same bolts. Keep your spare carrier bolts greased regular to stop them seizing up, mine seized and I snapped the nut bracket off. I tried everything in the book to loosen it no joy. I then had to cut the bolt and reweld the bracket back on. Keep them greased because if this had happened out on the road I would have had no chance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts