VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a T5 with a 20'' stormer spare in the back. Trouble is, the spare doesn't fit under the van. Don't really want it in the van!! Can the original spare wheel storage be modified?:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried fitting the original spare but the bolt threads that are part of the brake drum aren't long enough. Even with tapered wheel nuts, the wheel would still be unsafe. Would you recommend trying to fit the new alloy underneath and modify the olding bracket?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Dont fit no RR Stormer wheel under your Van:no Save it! T::)
In order to fit RR wheels, there might have been made alterationt to your hub. Have that qlarified.
If you absolutely need a alloy spare wheel, get a narrower one off a Discovery3. They have the same stud pattern & higher LII:
Many do cope with the "spare wheel in a tin" allthough that is a matter of choice
I take it you dont have a 4-Motion?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Does 4motion make a difference??

Dont fit no RR Stormer wheel under your Van:no Save it! T::)
In order to fit RR wheels, there might have been made alterationt to your hub. Have that qlarified.
If you absolutely need a alloy spare wheel, get a narrower one off a Discovery3. They have the same stud pattern & higher LII:
Many do cope with the "spare wheel in a tin" allthough that is a matter of choice
I take it you dont have a 4-Motion?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There seems to be some facility for adjusting the spare wheel storage. When the cradle is lowered there is a hinge pin at the other side which can be removed and re-inserted to allow the cradle to accommodate different wheel sizes.

20" might be a bit big though.

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
I tried fitting the original spare but the bolt threads that are part of the brake drum aren't long enough. Even with tapered wheel nuts, the wheel would still be unsafe. Would you recommend trying to fit the new alloy underneath and modify the olding bracket?
Were you using the original wheelnuts or the ones for the RR alloys? They are different! As I run RR alloys but use an original steel for a spare I carry a set of original wheelbolts, the wheel brace to fit and some mole grips to remove the studs for the RR nuts. Oh and don't forget to remove the spigot ring as well.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
@ Bobbster; Certainly! Otherwise I would hardly highlight it, would I now?;)

@ Yellowduke; Basically that is was I basically asked about. There are basicallu two ways to adapt RR wheels to a T5. Eiter with Studs or Bolts. What has the TS got??
It seems to be a very unefficient way to undo the studs in order to fit a spare wheel. Just get a spare that fits or alter the fitting in order to have as little hassel as possible when using the original steel spare wheelI:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts