VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

First post hope you’re all doing as well as we can be at the minute.

Maybe you can help me out? I’m new to this game. I’ve had my van a few months now, gone nowhere like most…
It’s a T30 LWB 2007 1.9, with low miles and there’s no sign of that changing in Scotland for the minute at least.
My question relates to the spare wheel. After four days of gentle lubrication and the turning of a few threads per day, I was able to get the spare holding bolt free to have a look at it. My vans on Sportline’s, 235/50/18. The spare is a 205/65/16, spare wheel part number is 7HO 601 027D (standard as I understand it)
The the difference in diameter and circumference looks to be +3% according to tiresze.com. As far as I know the van has standard brakes.
  • Will the current spare work for me both front and back / do for a get me home job?
  • If so I’ll need new wheel nuts as I don’t have these. If the spare wheel will work, maybe let me know the part number and best source.
  • What do you think of the condition of the spare? Tyre feels solid, maybe a bit green, one slight indent through sitting on the bracket.
Cheers Martin

Attachments

·
Special Rapporteur
8,969 Posts
If the rolling radius is only 3% different you should be Ok in terms of ABS tolerance - from memory I think it should be able to adapt up to around 5%. If it were a 4Motion I would be more wary, but it should get you to the nearest tyre fitters for a fix up.

If they are both factory wheels as you say, the same bolts should fit both steels and alloys.

I would check the date code on the tyre. Different people have different limits for how old a tyre can be, but I personally would avoid using it if it's more than 5 or 6 years old. I know that people will say it's been hanging under the van with no UV on it, but the problem is you don't know its history...

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can pick up spare wheels very cheaply on standard steel rims that look a lot better than that one. Check for local VW convertor places as they tend to have a pile in the corner!

You will be ok for emergency get you home journeys and the ABS and traction control should be OK.

Regards wheel bolts I carry a spare set with my kit for the spare but I have non standard alloys on so do check you are working on different ones at the moment before committing. Again dead easy to get hold of and not expensive.

Lastly my spare wheel got nicked last year from outside my house. Very common it would appear so would recommend the VW locking bolt....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

To be fair, I don't like the look of the spare wheel, it's pretty scabby. As for the bolts, the Sportline's bolt heads are certainly a different size, the standard wheel brace doesn't fit them.

I'll probably try to get my hands on a spare steelie.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,969 Posts
As for the bolts, the Sportline's bolt heads are certainly a different size, the standard wheel brace doesn't fit them.
That's odd, because I'm pretty sure that all factory alloys use the same bolts (I changed my steels to factory Clayton alloys and retained the old bolts) so it may be that yours are an aftermarket copy.

When it comes to spares, scabby is good. A slightly scabby wheel with a tyre in a good state is ideal, because nobody is likely to nick it.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,332 Posts
Like Triffic says, if they're genuine Sportline wheels they should use the same bolts as all other T5 genuine alloys & steels which have a 19mm A/F head & a radiused collar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts