VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the spare for the first time in 3 years, never needed to and an inspection previously showed the spare to be new and still have those little bristle things on the surface of it.

As you can see, this is a much neglected spare, and if you look closely you can see the indentations from the spare wheel carrier rubbing against it for the last 150,000 miles!

Also learned a lesson or 2 during changing out the old wheel, due to perished valve stem failing on me. Lesson number 1 is obviously don;t just trust your spare wheel to be OK if you've never used it before!
Lesson 2 is when the garage put on your wheels after anything, make sure they use a torque wrench to tighten up correctly. Muppet at my 'old' local garage must have just applied an airgun until it screamed.
Lesson 3, invest in a decent torque/power bar so if you do get shafted by someone over tightening your wheel nuts you stand a chance of being able to get the wheel off on your own.

Thanks to my Brother, his mate with the power bar and none at all to the garage I won;t be using again!

·
Registered
161 Posts
how many of us actually check the spare tyre, normally its that old wheel that just passes an mot if your lucky, i broke down once and went to change the wheel to discover it was a 4 stud wheel and my bm had 5 studs, oh how i laughed at the side of the road miles from home!!!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i broke down once and went to change the wheel to discover it was a 4 stud wheel and my bm had 5 studs, oh how i laughed at the side of the road miles from home!!!!
:jd

It's always good to have a sense of humor at times like that!

Just got back from the tyre place having got 5 new Kenex tyres on, and even got the nice chaps to grind down the steels and repaint them too! Might have to add a pic to readers wheels, don;t seem to be many original steels in there! ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts