VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am thinking of fitting some alloys on my t5 camper and was wondering what you all do about the spare wheel. I am thinking of fitting some 18" rims but what if i got a puncture the spare would be 16" as looking at the spare wheel carrier an 18" wont fit.

thanks in advance :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
i used to wonder this, but the answer is the rubber part of the wheel is always the same size. different wheels are just bigger metal bit not the rubber. so basically the wheel gets bigger and u get less rubber but the width of the outside is the same. just stand your spare next to a bigger alloy and you'll see...*<:)>

·
Registered
867 Posts
as above T:

and even if you ran a genuine 2" less overall size it will only drop 1" :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies , it sounds really obvious now you have pointed it out.so if the rubber is less and the wheel bigger i guess the MPH on the speedo wont be affected

·
Registered
178 Posts
I went round for over a year and had not realised that my 16 inch steel spare wheel needed different wheel nuts i.e. standard ones to my RR 20inch Alloys. I also did not realise that my standard jack would not fit round my side bars. This is worth checking once you change.

Andy
*<:)>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts