VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help...

Having built some pod type boxes for the rear side panels, bought some Vibe Slick 6 speakers, run cables to the back and connected them into the RCD 310, I fired up the stereo and I was completely underwhelmed by the output.

I wasn't expecting amazing sound but the bass response is virtually non existent. What have I done wrong?

Is it the low volume in the speaker enclosures, bad wiring, weak head unit signal or just not very good speakers.

The speakers are 2 way but I'm sure they sounded better (more resonant) in the shop.

I will post some pictures of my boxes in a minute when I've fired up the laptop.

Mont

·
Registered
855 Posts
not really much good with electrics especially stereo,s
but just try changing the polarity of the speakers one at a time,

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Yeah check all the positives go to positives and negatives to negatives. Aside from that, the enclosures might be too small? Amp would be better but head unit should be fine by itself :*

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Yeah check all the positives go to positives and negatives to negatives. Aside from that, the enclosures might be too small? Amp would be better but head unit should be fine by itself :*
First of disconnect one speaker and if the bass improves on the other then it's out of phase... But you can also have the rears out of phase to the front resulting in the same sound issue, so double check. But I fear it's a combination of small boxes, poor quality output from the radio, and I'm afraid the speakers are not brilliant (sorry)....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the boxes I made out of MDF

They are sealed with caulk where they are fixed to the panels and the cable entry to the rear of the speaker is sealed with a stuffing gland so they are no massive air gaps. Is this a bad thing? Could the bass response be improved by cutting a hole in the plywood panel underneath or am I flogging a dead horse?

Should I remove the boxes and go for a ring type spacer fixed to the panel instead?? Have the usual foil and bottle insulation behind, but could be moved a bit to make way.

Will try the polarity thing, but I am pretty sure I wired it in correctly :*

If I turn the fader completely to the rear and the disconnect one speaker and the bass improves in the other then I have them out of phase? Does that mean I have one which is the correct polarity and one not? Again I'm sure they are wired up the same but perhaps are inverted at the head unit.

At the moment the 4 OEM speakers in the front are sounding phat in comparison!

The mid/high sounds alright in the Vibe speakers; I think!

Oh bugger!

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Here are the boxes I made out of MDF

They are sealed with caulk where they are fixed to the panels and the cable entry to the rear of the speaker is sealed with a stuffing gland so they are no massive air gaps. Is this a bad thing? Could the bass response be improved by cutting a hole in the plywood panel underneath or am I flogging a dead horse?

Should I remove the boxes and go for a ring type spacer fixed to the panel instead?? Have the usual foil and bottle insulation behind, but could be moved a bit to make way.

Will try the polarity thing, but I am pretty sure I wired it in correctly :*

If I turn the fader completely to the rear and the disconnect one speaker and the bass improves in the other then I have them out of phase? Does that mean I have one which is the correct polarity and one not? Again I'm sure they are wired up the same but perhaps are inverted at the head unit.

At the moment the 4 OEM speakers in the front are sounding phat in comparison!

The mid/high sounds alright in the Vibe speakers; I think!

Oh bugger!
It's a shame as it looks like you have taken a lot of time doing these., yes turn the fader to the rear, then turn the balance to one side if the base response improves then this is the issue, one of the wires is round the wrong way...

The front doors will sound probably better as they are less wattage so being driven harder, also they are using the whole door as the chamber...

My honest opinion is to sit them flush, because you will find that what ever speakers you run in the rear are never going to sound that great. The boxes you made which you have done well will restrict them more, because of the small space, maybe put a hole in behind but if it doesn't improve much and if you change your mind then you have a hole in the ply....

·
Registered
118 Posts
try them out of the enclosure to eliminate possibility that the enclosure is having a dampening effect, and like others said check polarity.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh well, I will just have to put up with it for the next week as I am going on holiday with the family to Cornwall. Will look at what I can resolve when I get back. At least the kids will have some sound in the rear.

I don't really mind if the speakers are not very good (they were cheap) and if they were always going to sound weak, I just don't want to have made them sound worse through my cack handedness!

As mentioned previously I will add a sub at some stage so maybe it won't be that bad? Though perhaps next time not in a cabinet of my own design ;). Will give you a call this time Jason before I do!

In the mean time, if anyone is down in Polzeath over the next week keep an ear out for an Olympian Blue Kombi screeching out the kids tunes with the treble cranked all the way up to 11! :ILU: :eek:

This episode has reminded me of the gramophone sketch from the NTNON - D'you want woofers and tweeters with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco

Monty

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've not read to much I to the thread but seeing that the enclosures are sealed maybe restricting the speaker moving, try drilling a vent in the enclosure somewhere, maybe at the back to allow the speaker to move more freely

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was the enclosures restricting the lower notes after all. I was careful to make sure that the polarity was correct when I connected them (didn't want to have to get behind the head unit again in a hurry) so I didn't think the phase problem was the cause of the bad sound I was getting from the rear speakers.

I have now completely removed the pods in the photo above and have replaced them with 18mm MDF spacer rings cut out using a router. I also cut a similar sized hole in the ply and foil behind. Then shoved the insulation out of the way and refitted the speaker...

It sounds miles better! Like having Barry White gargle in your ear instead of Mickey Mouse!

Going to enjoy it over the next week or so, but thinking maybe won't need that sub after all?

Will post a picture of the new situation when I manage to transfer them off the phone.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Not sure how others manage to get decent sound out of their speaker pods, maybe it's because they're not totally sealed at the rear where they attached to the panel?

Ta

Monty

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a photo of the MDF rings I made:

Pleased with how these sound now, fortunately the carpet will cover up the marks from the previous attempt I:

Mont

1 - 11 of 11 Posts