VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forum and to my T5 camper van.

Very quickly after buying my van I decided to change out the head unit (because the stock one sounded rather awful), fitted the Pioneer AVH-x3700 and am very happy with it and the improved sound. Only problem is I have managed to now blow one of the door speakers :bhd I have ordered the Pioneer TS-H1703 speakers to replace the stock ones after reading around and seeing them very highly recommended, especially on this forum, and seeing one of the previous threads guiding through fitting them.

My main issue is that my van currently doesn't have the dash tweeters fitted so was looking for some advice. I have read previous threads saying to first check if the tweeter wiring is there behind the glove box so I will be doing this once I have access to my tools again as they are currently with my parents. Does anyone have any advice for fitting the tweeters? What is the best way to mount them? Should I buy the standard tweeters second hand in their mounts and fit the new ones in their place?

Does anybody also have any recommendations of subwoofers? I know there are a lot of people who hate them being fitted in vehicles but I do like to feel my music :p Can anybody recommend on what options to go for; active or passive? Size, brand, where to mount etc. I have seen surrounds that can be fitted between driver and passenger under the gear stick but would prefer not to have it here as I like having the abiity to just spin around to get in the back of the van as it is a camper, and my girlfriend can be rather clumsy and I just know she'll end up putting her foot through it.

Thanks!

·
2012 180 Sportline SWB Camper
1,144 Posts
Jason at Absolut5 is your man for this. Knows his stuff and well respected on here. Either PM or he will no doubt be along later.

T:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I've fitted the Pioneer speakers last weekend and I didn't have tweeters or any cables in the dash!
You will need to remove the end panel of the dash on the passenger side by unclipping it. Carefully use a small screwdriver on the curved edge of the panel and prise out.
Remove the cubby which is really easy. You need torx type bit TX20 to undo the small bolts.

For the tweeter cable, I used a fairly stiff wire to draw (feed) the tweeter cable through the rubber door bellow from inside the dash into the door. This can be accessed easily with cubby removed and it's easy to route the cable to where the void is underneath the dash grill.
I used the double sided sticky foam supplied to stick down the tweeters to the surface under the dash grill. Just give it a wipe first as it will be dusty.
The driver side access requires the removal of the lower dash panel below the steering wheel and above the pedals. I dropped a draw cable from the top down, that is from where the dash grill is located down to where the cables go through into the rubber bellows into the door.
As the bottom panel is removed, when you look down at the dash grill area from outside the windscreen, you will see daylight and this helps you guide the cable down towards the rubber bellows entrance. Make sure you have the cables the right way round before routing them from the dash grill down to the doors. The cable ends can only be fitted the right way round, so check which end fits the tweeter tails!!
All sounds like nonsense until you start to do it yourself :D

There's loads of pictures in the link below, suggest you read that thread before starting.

http://www.vwt5forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=291270

Only use tweeters supplied with the Pioneer speakers and not VW ones

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

jaj750 could I just clarify a few things with you quickly on this. Which part do you mean when you say cubby? It may be obvious when I get to it but I've not had a chance to try dismantling everything yet due to a lack of tools and will be doing it next week, I just like to make sure that I am prepared for everything before I do. Also, for the tweeter wires did you have to splice into the the door speakers to run off a feed to the tweeters? Definitely only going to be using Pioneer tweeters, judging by the sound quality of the t5 door speakers I wouldn't have much faith in vw tweeters :p

The head unit I have fitted does have additional speaker outputs for front and rear so I am wondering if it'd be best to plug into these instead of splicing into anything else, any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Perhaps I should have called it the dash glovebox :D

Please see link below. Arrows show bolt locations as wellT: Once these bolts are removed, pull glovebox forwards tilting upwards as it comes out.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...TF-8#q=t5+dash+glovebox&imgrc=S1UDDgPl4QyrsM:

When you unplug the door speaker cable connector from the door speaker, you will need to cut off the VW connector and use the short connectors cables supplied with the Pioneer speakers. The tweeter cables you will have routed from the dash will connect directly to the speakers as there are two spade connectors for both positive and negative on the speakers themselves. See example of speaker terminals in link (not Pioneer but similar)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...AhVWGsAKHWjTDQUQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=yFVtV-EQZbkgqM

Finally, if your car radio Headunit is working okay, don't mess about with the connections on the rear of the unit. Just utilise the original cables that go to the front speakers as they are decent quality.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm about 95% done with my 'work van' stealth install / upgrade.
I fitted my old MB Quart (mid 90's made in Germany spec), 6.5" components up front, and my MB Quart bandpass subwoofer in the back (vented through the bulkhead).

I ran Stinger 12AWG to all speakers!. I found the best method is to remove all the lower trims in the cabin, as this gives the best access.

My Audison AP5.9 bit lives in the glovebox, so cabling was easier than most installs.
The hardest cable to install was the sub, as I had to remove the passenger seatbelt trim to get the cable under the rubber matting. We all know what a pain that is in a work van!

Stinger Roadkill sound deading, and Stinger power supply cables were also used.

My MB Quart tweeters have a fixing bolt built into thm, so i attached a bracket and screwed that into a factory screw hole.
I would always try and bolt things down.

You may need to make / purchse some speaker rings for the door speakers. Make sure you seal them in, otherwise you might get a water leak.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
No need to remove all lower trims just to wire the front speakers alone. Agree if you need to route cables for sub to the rear of the van.T:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Speak to Jason (absolut5) on here.
He has all that you require along with the knowlege to help you fit.

Also sound deadening make a whole heap of difference to the sound quality.

You won't regret calling Jason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps I should have called it the dash glovebox :D

Please see link below. Arrows show bolt locations as wellT: Once these bolts are removed, pull glovebox forwards tilting upwards as it comes out.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...TF-8#q=t5+dash+glovebox&imgrc=S1UDDgPl4QyrsM:

When you unplug the door speaker cable connector from the door speaker, you will need to cut off the VW connector and use the short connectors cables supplied with the Pioneer speakers. The tweeter cables you will have routed from the dash will connect directly to the speakers as there are two spade connectors for both positive and negative on the speakers themselves. See example of speaker terminals in link (not Pioneer but similar)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...AhVWGsAKHWjTDQUQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=yFVtV-EQZbkgqM

Finally, if your car radio Headunit is working okay, don't mess about with the connections on the rear of the unit. Just utilise the original cables that go to the front speakers as they are decent quality.
Hope this helps
Apologies for the slow reply, I got locked out for a few days because of the password reset and not being sent a new one.

Thanks for the advice! I had read through a lot of the other thread you mentioned and used this along with your recommendations and managed to get it all done today. Looks good and the sound quality... WOW! What an improvement! :) I am a happy chappy! Just need to finish fitting the subwoofer as well now, went for a pioneer ts-wx210a... had good reviews and I figured that with the pioneer head unit and pioneer ts range speakers it'd be a good fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2007 T5 converted as a campervan. I have started to intermittently loose sound from the radio on the left hand side of the vehicle. It is almost as if when I go over a bump in the road a connection is lost and sometime later another bump will restore it. I suspect that I have dodgy connection somewhere and thought the best place to start was the rear of the head unit. Are you familiar with the connections at the rear of the head unit? I wondered if there were separate wires going into the head unit that drive the speakers on the left and right of the vehicle. Is it likely that such a connection could have come partially unplugged?

If not then where might there be other speaker connections that are eliminating all speaker sound on the left hand side of the vehicle?

I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Would suggest the culprit will be a corroded speaker connection or speaker damaged by water behind door card.
However, you can easily remove the tray in the dash above the headunit and wiggle the the wires at the back of the headunit first.
Lots of info on this thread T:
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=291270

1 - 12 of 12 Posts