VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I’m trying to find the gearbox speed sensor on my 2.5 ACV as my speedo/fuel gauge is playing up, anyway I’ve crawled around underneath with a torch and just can’t locate it, can anyone give me an exact location, even better would be a drawing or photo?
Thanks in advance
T.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sounds suspiciously like broken wire/Wires in the wiring harness across the cam cover. I had this exact fault and changed the speed sensor but it didn't cure it. I opened up the wiring harness as I suspected it and found I had a broken wire in there. Soldered a new piece in, been perfect since.

With mine, If I turned right the fuel gauge would drop to empty and I had the warning light and beep sound to say I'd got no fuel. That plus no speedo. Have heard of others with the same symptoms.

If you look from the top on the battery side looking down towards the back of the gearbox the sensor is on top of the diff casing but is better reached from underneath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Matt
I’m having the exact symptoms you had. Thought I’d try the sensor first as an easy fix but am really struggling to find the bugger. Thanks for the info and photo, hopefully I’ll find it now. If that doesn’t fix it then it’ll be soldering iron time!!
Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the wires in the fat conduit that runs from the bulkhead drivers side across the engine bay behind the intercooler and downwards? I noticed it was up against the engine on the corner of the block? Is that where you had to solder?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes, Follow it from the bulkhead and across the cam cover. Just before it disappears down toward the gearbox that was roughly where my wire had gone. Mine was a black wire with blue tracer and was at the bottom of the bunch of cables..you could see where the Ribs on the conduit had rubbed through the wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts