VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a penalty notice through the post. 39 in a 30 zone

annoying thing is i really thought it was a 40- still do- going to re drive it and look

it was the dual carraige way from Gabalfa roundabout going towards a470 by the wine shop! for those cardiffians on here!

tempted to plead not guilty but cant afford fine and fees if i am found guilty

tempted to try one of these internet sites that say they can charge dropped- anyone used them

Anyone have any ideas ??

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
when you re drive the road look for any speed camera signs if their isnt any displayed they cant fine you, i got away with a fine once as their speed camara sign was covered by an over growing tree worth a lookT:

·
Registered
764 Posts
When was this I travel that road every day on the way home from work.

It is actualy a 30mph but i think it changes to 40mph a few yards up going to have a look on the way home.

G

·
when you re drive the road look for any speed camera signs if their isnt any displayed they cant fine you, i got away with a fine once as their speed camara sign was covered by an over growing tree worth a lookT:

if its not coverd by a tree pop along to your local garden centerT:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When was this I travel that road every day on the way home from work.

It is actualy a 30mph but i think it changes to 40mph a few yards up going to have a look on the way home.

12 noon on the 16th, i saw the van but thought i was fine.
the van was on the grass verge by phillog road- really annoyed ,no signs warning you and nothing to say what speed limt is if you join th eroad from The heath HOSPITAL!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
whilst you are checking the speed of the road also have a look if its an urban clearway if so you should get away with it as the canera van would have been illigaly parked that happend up here a couple of years ago and all tickets were quashed worth a look T:

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you do re drive it to check the speed limit keep your speed downRasp:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Got a penalty notice through the post. 39 in a 30 zone

annoying thing is i really thought it was a 40- still do- going to re drive it and look

it was the dual carraige way from Gabalfa roundabout going towards a470 by the wine shop! for those cardiffians on here!
That section after the flyover is a 30mph zone, changes to 40mph at the first set of lights. I think! I:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sorry to agree with the rest Chris........... but the 40 doesn't kick in till after the lights at the juction of birchgrove road/ merthyr road

but i have to say very sneaky cos its only a few seconds from the 40 mile an hour.

out of interest i've never been sure what the limit is as you come up the slip road just past tescos after the Gabalfa turn off just before you turn left by the fly over onto the A470 ?????

Daaisy:ILU:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thinking again....... may be worth arguing cos i dont think it is marked up clearly at all !!!!!!!!!!!
Daaisy

·
Registered
563 Posts
You have my full sympathy,I've just been caught in similar style going into Caernarfon from the South.The 30 changes to a 40 and the van hides over the brow of the hill partly hidden by trees.It gets you before you spot it.
This was at 8:00 a.m. on a Sunday and I was doing 40 in a 30 just before it becomes 40.

Obviously a money making scam as it offers no deterrent hiding in the trees.Had it been prominently parked I would have slowed down thereby saving lives and reducing risk.It's all a con.:(

·
Registered
136 Posts
the biggest mistake people make is forgetting that streetlights less than 200 yards apart and no other signs = 30mph

more are caught by that than anything else

·
Registered
834 Posts
I dont know if this works but a mate sent me it a while ago, could be worth a try?

This is how the points get added to your licence:

If you get a fixed penalty notice through the post which also carries penalty points the computer system first sends you a demand for the cash.

When you have paid, it then sends a demand to return your licence for endorsement.

It cannot handle the licence endorsement and the payment at the same time, and it cannot process the points part of the system until the financial section is complete.

If you overpay the fixed penalty, it must issue and send a refund cheque for the overpayment.

Therefore, overpay the fixed penalty by sending a cheque for the full amount plus £1.

The computer will then automatically generate a refund cheque for the over-payment and send it to you.

**** Do not cash this refund cheque - DUMP IT.

The system then remains 'open' and cannot generate the 'send your licence for endorsement' demand part of the program.

It does, however, record your payment of the fixed penalty, so it does not trigger the 'follow-up unpaid fine' stage.

As there is no human intervention, the system will leave you alone, since it has got your money, which is the primary objective!

Let me know if it works!
Good luck.:ILU:

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
I have evaded the points once in the past by simply waiting till the 25th day to return the form. It must have got lost in the system and 6 years on i still have not recieved any points for it.
The girlfriend at the time tried it however and got her points.lol

cheers
P

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I think most of the over pay / send this / send that type things are just urban myths. The only method I know of anyone getting away with points etc is just to completely ignore the first couple of letters. Sometimes plod have got better things to do and just forget it (but mostly its easier to catch you than real criminals).
Worth a go, up to the point where you get a summons, then you can plead ignorance to the first letters and just pay up I:.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The forgetting to reply doesn't work!!!!!! £280.00 quid not long been forked out
for a £60.00 quid fine...:eek: MEN! .........and breathe...................

(The mrs)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just re driven the route. There is a small camera sign on the right , by the lights with a 30mph sign below it!!!
so looks like i will just have to cough up. aLSO I SEE WHERE THE VAN WAS THEY HAVE BUILT A HARDSTANDING ON THE GRASS- so i guess they are planning to have a van there more often!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Just re driven the route. There is a small camera sign on the right , by the lights with a 30mph sign below it!!!
so looks like i will just have to cough up. aLSO I SEE WHERE THE VAN WAS THEY HAVE BUILT A HARDSTANDING ON THE GRASS- so i guess they are planning to have a van there more often!!!!!!!!!
Sprinkle a nice healthy layer of plaster board screws on the hard standing every time you pass there just for fun like pay the £60 notes bend over and take the points it sucks but so do us speeders when things go wrong

I fought the Law and the Law won T:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts