VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I need help solving a problem I have been having with my 2001 2.5TDI T4.

The problem is that my dash clocks do not work.
At the moment the speedo doesn't work, fuel gauge kinda works but when I turn corners or if I'm below a quarter of a tank the fuel light goes on and off with that annoying beep that means no fuel, whilst I drive the fuel gauge is going up and down.
Also the mileage does not register at all (trip mileage and total mileage).

When I bought the van last year the was an intermittent problem with the speedo not working but it didn't happen very often, and there were no other problems with it. Until I got an auto electrician to connect my leisure battery, a week or so after he fitted it my main battery was flat and ever since I have had the issue with the clocks.

Today I fitted another set thinking that my existing clocks were the issue but the problem are still there, I am totally stuck with what to do. Has anyone ever had this problem and what did you do to solve it.

I will be calling another auto electrician to check it out but if anyone can help shed light on what may be the problem before I get the electrician out that would be much appreciated, plus the beeping is driving me flippin nuts.

Thanks
Abbey

·
Registered
651 Posts
You will probably find that it's down to a break in one or two wires. Had exactly the same on my van. Changed the clocks speed sensor and so on and it did nothing. I traced the wiring which comes into the engine bay from the back of the clocks, it goes in the black convoluted tube across the top of the engine and down the side of the engine on the passenger side. I found a break in 2 cables on mine, all works fine ever since I joined them back together. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As mentioned definitely open up the black corrugated conduit which covers the wiring loom that runs through the firewall near the brake booster and then down across the engine bay.

The problem is caused by the loom vibrating (especially) when idling (2.5 TDI) which results in the internal ribs of the conduit rubbing against the wires insulation and eventually the wire(s) break.

I had the dreaded loss of accelerator problem (drive by wire) and removed the conduit to find many damaged wires. I had to cut out and replace 10 sections of wire and reinsulate another 6. I suggest the loom should be fully covered in cloth electrical loom tape before refitting back inside the conduit or the wires will just continue to rub.

The thinner wires such as the accelerator wires and the twisted data lines that carry the instrument cluster data from the ECU seem to be the wires that are more commonly affected as they are the most fragile.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We also have this problem, last time I took her in for a service I mentioned it (as i am not very mechanically minded..... somewhat inept really!) Anyway he sorted it for free for me, he said it was very very common for the wires to break (as other members have explained) and he had re soldered them for us behind the clocks. NOw I would say they work approx 90% of the time.... sometimes it takes a few minutes, but at least I know when to refuel!

Luckily the garage where we take her is full of VW enthusiasts, always comes in very handy! This link might be helpful

http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/t4_gauges.htm

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think this particular gauge info applies to the 2.5 TDI.
It appears to be for pre 1996 non TDI vans.

"Luckily the garage where we take her is full of VW enthusiasts, always comes in very handy! This link might be helpful"

http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/t4_gauges.htm
The 2.5 TDI's instruments are linked to the ECU (computer) via data lines (twisted pairs of wires) these are the wires (amongst others) that break inside the conduit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Guys,

I need help solving a problem I have been having with my 2001 2.5TDI T4.

The problem is that my dash clocks do not work.
At the moment the speedo doesn't work, fuel gauge kinda works but when I turn corners or if I'm below a quarter of a tank the fuel light goes on and off with that annoying beep that means no fuel, whilst I drive the fuel gauge is going up and down.
Also the mileage does not register at all (trip mileage and total mileage).

When I bought the van last year the was an intermittent problem with the speedo not working but it didn't happen very often, and there were no other problems with it. Until I got an auto electrician to connect my leisure battery, a week or so after he fitted it my main battery was flat and ever since I have had the issue with the clocks.

Today I fitted another set thinking that my existing clocks were the issue but the problem are still there, I am totally stuck with what to do. Has anyone ever had this problem and what did you do to solve it.

I will be calling another auto electrician to check it out but if anyone can help shed light on what may be the problem before I get the electrician out that would be much appreciated, plus the beeping is driving me flippin nuts.

Thanks
Abbey

I get this every 10000 miles, distance sensor!
Speedo begins to become erratic, then stops all together, then the fuel gauge suddenly drops to zero and climbs again slowly.

Had to change 5 in 50000 miles now, kind of thinking my wiring is naffed somewhere but new sensor always cures it!

http://www.justkampers.com/357-919-149-distance-sensor-vw-t4-1990-2003.html

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi I had the same problem for months and finally attacked it today ..

Can't post pics cause I haven't paid me sub's ...me bad..

Anyway there is an all black wire that runs from the speed sensor the one in silver heat shroud follow that up the conduit

Were it meets one single thick black wire you will probably find its heat damaged get some similar mm wire soldier as much

As you think its damaged tape up and refit I found it easier to remove the water bottle and dip stick and conduit clips

Now all fuel spedo and trip meter should work an hours job max ..Good luck....✔

T4 1998 2.4

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've ended up with same problem on mine sadly:(

I suspected the Wiring loom and after a search I found this thread. I realise it's old but I thought I'd add my findings.

Today I stripped the intercooler off and various bits to get at the loom. On first inspection of the wires they didn't look too bad but I eventually found a damaged one, Black with blue tracer Worn through the insulation and literally hanging by two threads. I've chopped a section out and soldered and heat shrinked a new piece in. I was alarmed at the state of the copper wire, Tarnished and black looking rather than shiny copper and straight away I thought I'm going to have a job soldering that. I managed to clean it up and the solder has taken to it. Ideally the whole section wants replacing but how far do you go ? The rest of the wires are probably the same under the insulation.

Just got to wait and see now if it's cured it, I had no speedo yesterday but today before I attacked the loom it was working again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts