VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '97 2.4D and the speedo wasn't working which I was told was because the instrument cluster was from an automatic. Not a problem I thought until it failed its test, part of the reason being due to the speedo not working. This is not a UK MOT (I know it does not need to work for MOT) so please don't quote MOT rules at me!

I have finally received a replacement speedo but it has not solved the problem. I have read it could be due to a bad earth near the fuel pump but cannot find it to check! Nor can I find it on google to show me where to look :confused: Are there other likely causes for the problem?

Is there anyone who can give a clear and simple explanation of what I should be checking and where these things are located (pictures are also good) for a not so mechanically minded person?

Any help would be appreciated as I need to get the van fixed soon or I will have to leave it in Germany when I move in a few months time as if I cannot get it through its test, I can't register it and therefore cannot deregister it and bring it to UK :blg

·
Registered
651 Posts
Mine was down to a broken cable. They go through the bulkhead behind the blocks into the engine bay then through some black convoluted tube over the engine to wherever they are going. Mine had broken in there, joined them back together and bingo it worked. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts