VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, my speedo has stopped working so reading through the forum i heard it could be the sender unit could be rounded off so i took it out looked ok but glued it a little but no joy still not working so i went to my local vw garage after reading the speed sender is only around £20 but when the fella found the part it was 65 quid plus vat! can someone tell me the part number for it? its a 1998 2.4 or if someone could tell me what else it could be?

i read that it could be a earth from the sender to somewhere on the front of the engine? the fuel gauge goes up and down a bit with the rev's but i dont know if thats anything to do with the speedo not working

also the speedo every now and again jumps up and down which tells me it could be a earth problem...

any help?

cheers

·
Registered
724 Posts
Most certainly earth could upset it, especialy if other guage affected. Clean up battery terminals and main earth to body from battery. Also check under fuse panel at all the loom connectors, one of these was loose when my speedo stopped working, plugged back in and all good.

To check if earth makes a difference, before you clean it up listen to your warning buzzer for lights on when you open the door, then listen again after cleaning, if it's louder you´ve done some good!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most certainly earth could upset it, especialy if other guage affected. Clean up battery terminals and main earth to body from battery. Also check under fuse panel at all the loom connectors, one of these was loose when my speedo stopped working, plugged back in and all good.

To check if earth makes a difference, before you clean it up listen to your warning buzzer for lights on when you open the door, then listen again after cleaning, if it's louder you´ve done some good!
funny that mate the buzzer only works now and again and its only ever quiet!

i tried earthing the black wire from the sender to bypass a bad earth before but all it done was pop a 10 fuse then the van wouldnt start, must of been summat to do with the heater plugs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi lance i thought u had my van when i read your post about your speedo and fuel gauge as its exactly the same as mine !!!! did you manage to find the problem if so what was it please im pulling my hair out with mine !!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts