VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still.....looking at split charge kits, im confused

why would the amount of amps a split charge kit take be important?

surely it doesnt matter- the charge system is just for the topping /charging of batteries surely they all pull the same amount? they are not supplying power from the leisure battery to the kit using the power ie lights, stereo etc so will not be drawing this total ampage? or i have i got confoodled again?

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you run your leisure battery very low then the split charge system will have to handle whatever the alternator and the other battery put together can throw at it, as you can imagine this could be a lot of amps, mine is fused at 40 amps each end.
Of course you could use one of the low power systems from ebay but you will probably have so much volt drop off down the line that you may as well not bother, you should ideally buy a split charge relay that can handle a lot more than it actually needs to, electronics dont like being run to the max for anything more than a few seconds.
If you have a long cable run then you should use 25 mm2 Cable or 16mm2 if the run is shorter, I would go for a relay that is at least double the maximum you intend to run it to so around 80 amps or more ( you cant go too high ) Mine is a 125 amp VSR from BEP Marine, it was expensive but worth it and extremely easy to wire, theres some pics of my system on my build blogT:

·
Registered
181 Posts
mainly if you are running multiple amps.

the current drawn can be up to and above 100amps, so the battery needs to be charged quicker than it is being used, or the battery will eventually go flat
if you only had a 5 amp going from the alt to the rear battery where your running the amps off, this battery will quickly get drained if you have a high current system

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a 110A spit charge relay and was running 40A fuses either side of the relay but one blew recently when the battery ran very low. Uprating to 50A as the cable is good for 90+A.
You can draw a lot of current. I got the 110A relay from vehicle wiring products.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts