VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking a putting a split charge in my t5 and I am looking for some clarification mainly
About earthing. Right so I have a 140amp Vsr and my understanding is that I will come from main battery with a fuse into Vsr out the other side then fuse to leisure battery positive . There is then a earth on the Vsr. It is at this point i am unsure I have been told I need then to eatrth from - ve of the leisure battery I am putting the battery right at the back of the van so where do I earth it I can't get to lashing points do I need to run a-ve cable back to the main earth under the bonett. I am hoping that some of the helpful auto electricians on here can point me in the right direction

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
331 Posts
There's an earth point behind the rear lamps that should be ok to use. I'm sure someone else will be along with some more ideas though T:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I had read that some where but was unsure is that would be suitable as didn't want to fry the existing electrics

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would earth the leisure battery to the chassis wherever you like, just drill a convenient hole, clean off all paint for a good connection then put a bolt in and clamp your -ve spade nice and tight. Once done, touch-up the paint all around the bolt so it doesn't rust.
You need to make sure you're not drilling anywhere iffy (ensure the area is clear behind, and you can get access to get a spanner on the bolt head).
The size of the bolt is dependent on how much current you intend drawing from the battery, 8mm should do for normal use. The proper eathing studs are friction welded in place, and are most likely copper, so will make a better connection.
If you want to draw daft amounts of current (like running a microwave via an inverter (about 80A)), it is necessary to run a dedicated negative cable, but still earth the battery to the chassis as well.
P

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
The OP was asking about earthing the relay not the battery. This only requires a very current so connect to the main earth point behind the rear light.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am asking about earthing the battery. The relay will be earthed under bonett . Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Sorry, I read it as you were looking for an earth point for the relay. Same one will do the job anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts