VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following many requests from you guys that like playing with vehicle electricsI:, we have decided to make use of some 100 amp relays that we have tucked awayT:. By adding extra parts we are able to offer a 'Budget' DIY Split Charging Kit that is unique to forum members:ILU:. This kit contains everything that is required, including 110amp 16mm cable (5 mtrs), 100amp (Nagares RL/180-12) relay, cable ties, fuse holders & fuses etc, etc plus full easy to follow fitting instructions and advice at the end of a phone if needed:ILU:.

Price £50.00 delivered to your doorT:

If you require and more details / advice - please just give us a shout.

Can be purchased via the link below:
http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5199

Please not this in NOT suitable for newer vehicles with inteligent alternators... Bear with us on this, we are figuring it out! - please see progress below

Just to update this post regarding the inteligent alternators, which we have listed above:

As we have yet had the opportunity to investigate this Black/Yellow wire at the fuse box I would suggest that the following checks are done on this wire before using it to trigger the split charge relay:
1. This wire is 0 volts with the ignition switch in the off position.
2. This wire is 12 volts with the ignition switch in the on position.
3. This wire is 0 volts in the starter motor cranking position.

Alternatively if your vehicle is fitted with the earlier type "non intelligent" alternator, connection to the Blue wire at the alternator will provide a trigger for the split charge relay.

It is also worth mentioning that an additional low powered (VSR) Voltage sensing relay, such as the "Smart Com", may be used to trigger the larger split charging relay, this can be connected to the vehicle battery via a fuse and then the output onto the 100 Amp split charging relay supplied with the kit.

Many thanks

Jay:ILU:

·
Registered
979 Posts
ok so im a bit of a novice when it come to stuff like this but trying to learn. this kit will get me up to the battery and charging ? i will then need to do a fuse board or whatever to everything i want to run? can i make it so the radio works of the leisure battery when the ignition is off i believe i read somewhere its possible to do that ? how long ruffly would it take to install? and lastly is is ok to use on a t5 a see you posted something about smart alternators?????

sorry for so many questions, if it will do the job i would very much like one

·
Registered
203 Posts
Arrived safe and sound T:

A nice quality package. Just need a few more hours in the day to fit it.

Cheers

Daz

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
got mine today well impressed so set out to get it fitted all went well. called Autosparks to check whick colour wire to connect to on the alternator spoke to Jay and then Paul realy helpfull confirmed what i had to do no problems my van is a 1996 so the wire on the alternator is the blue one traced it back and found it runs to a connector by the starter so real easy to connect it there instead of all the way down at the alternator hope this helps anybody else fitting this kit.

Adrian.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi mate, just melted a 30A 'smart' relay volton thing after flattening my leisure battery completely. Also looks like the previous owner decided that fuses were not needed, which is nice. Anyway long and short of it is that I now need a way to charge my leisure battery. This looks good but it'd be good to see the instructions before I buy to see how difficult it's going to be to fit, any chance you could give me a look?

Cheers

Sven

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could I have a look at the instructions aswell as I'm not sure if I need this or your VSR Heavy Duty Kit?? :confused:

1 - 20 of 186 Posts