VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any body help me see the split charging lightI:
I want to install a system in my van but can't seem to tell which is the best system....relay or electronic.
Ultimately I just want it to charge the leisure battery efficiently whilst not interfering with the starter battery......
Any advice from those that have put systems in would be great. Cheers

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Can any body help me see the split charging lightI:
I want to install a system in my van but can't seem to tell which is the best system....relay or electronic.
Ultimately I just want it to charge the leisure battery efficiently whilst not interfering with the starter battery......
Any advice from those that have put systems in would be great. Cheers
I am going throughtthe same process as you, i have been emailing upspex from around these parts, he sells all the kit you will need, so far i reckon the VSR is the easiest, one + cable from starter battery to VSR under the seat, then onto the leisure battery, i am going to put a 3 stage charger on so i can be on hookpup and still have enough power for running everything.

Do a search on his username, he has a theread with photos and prices of all the kit, helpful guy too...

In fact, here you go:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68796

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have just fitted a VSR, really simple to fit. I used one of these-
http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=375&category_id=36&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14
I didn't get it from there but can't find where I got it from now.
As you say, just connect the VSR in between the batteries with a single 16 or 25mm cable with a fuse each end (as close to the batteries as possible) and connect a negative to the VSR for sensing. I fitted mine next to the engine battery. The dual sense will allow the engine battery to charge from the domestic when you have got a charger connected as well. It has a light on it so you can see when it is connected

Hope this helps

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
The VSR is very easy to fit but you can save yourself a shed load of money with a standard relay. Just one more wire to connect.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up guys.....T:
What fuse size did you use with the VSR?
Is there real difference between the two types of split charging systems?
Is there plus or a minus to each other than ease of fitting?
Thanks again peepsA:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
You should always fuse any circuit at slightly less than the capacity of the cables and components. If you have a cable that can handle 120-140 amps fuse it at 100 amps. VSRs are sometimes called "smart" or "intelligent", don't be fooled by this, they aren't that smart if they can't install themseleves!LOL:

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
You should always fuse any circuit at slightly less than the capacity of the cables and components. If you have a cable that can handle 120-140 amps fuse it at 100 amps. VSRs are sometimes called "smart" or "intelligent", don't be fooled by this, they aren't that smart if they can't install themseleves!LOL:
Would a standard relay allow a charge to go to the vehicle battery when on hookup like a VSR can or is that not really a major concern as long as the cherger can support the load of the leisure battery ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts