VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm having real pain with my van starting. If you start the ignition then sometimes it starts. Other times you turn the ignition and nothing happens at all. Electric is all there just nothing is happening to start or turn the engine over. I thought it might be a battery problem, which has been replaced but it has done it again.

I have a Autel Maxscan, VW Audi Scanner (V2.8). Which I have plugged in and got this as the only error code that it is reading:

01039- 158
KWP1281
Coolant Temp Sensor
Sporadic open/short circuit

Could that be affecting the starting? Does anyone know where this sensor is? Or could it be something else completely?

Thanks in Advance.
Simon

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
:eek: I have the exact same problem, I asked and was told possibly loose connections to the starter solenoid or internal starter problem (If you rock the van backwards and forwards in gear then try to start it does)
Hope this helps some, I hav'nt had time to get to the starter yet so still don't know what the problem is :(

Chris

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you have already ruled out the ignition switch I'd say the starter. Replaced mine yesterday as this past week it has started sticking terribly, same symptoms you describe. A solid clout to the starter with the wheel brace was the only thing to get it to start. Lovely now with a new starter on. Euro Car Parts do a good price RTX version if you need one. Mine is just about to hit 100,000 miles so I guess it had had it's day.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you have a fault code saying coolant temp sender not working I would change that too, many threads on here about that having a great affect on engine running.

I believe the sensor is the blue one, located right at the front of the engine near the top on the water hose that exits the top of the engine. less than 10 squid for one from vw i think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fitted the coolant sensor. That was a bit of a quick drenching! Luckily swapped sensors over quickly and didn't loose too much coolant. I have topped it up - but should I do anything else?

Just waiting for the starter motor to arrive and game on with that!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK done the starter motor! Didn't solve it. Maybe it is the Ignition Switch! Where can I find out if it is that? It's driving me mad and the wife is about to take action!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still having problems with the van starting! Done starter motor. Changed Coolant Temp Sensor.

Just unsure what to try next. We're trying to test the glow plugs. Will probably change that.

Could the fuel filter be the problem?

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
Just an update from me, The red wire to the starter, nearest the passenger wheel side, on the top, was loose on the tang, I wiggled it and hav'nt had the problem since,
Possibly not much help to you as you have had the starter changed and obviously have reconnected all wires securley.
Just out of interest how much was the starter and where did you get it from?
Hope you sort it soon T:

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
the little wire to the starter is the trigger wire that tells the solinoid to engage and draw the BIG amps through the big cable, clean little wire connection and will probable sort it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK i'm pretty certain the wiring to the starter motor is good and that the starter motor is doing it's job properly. Whats happening now is that it turns over OK but doesn't fire up instantly and seems to strain in that final stage. Fuel Supply? Fuel Filter?

·
Registered
182 Posts
My dealings with this was the crank shaft sensor and my diesel pump was retarded so Bear adjusted the timing on it (top man he is). Once I had those 2 done all I have to do is just touch my key and Vera starts.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Might be you ignition switch or its connector. Try this , next time it wont turn over lift the key as you turn it - its a common fault. Mine has gone from intermittent to permanent, works as an anti theft device now!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts