VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have both captains seats on swivels (Sportscraft), and I thought why not add a leisure battery under the drivers. Turns out I have the swivel with the nut on the bottom rather than the top, so I think I will have clearance issues with trying to put a leisure battery there.

I currently have a 110 leisure battery near rock n roll bed, and I thought that I would wire in a second in parallel to increase my electricity storage and avoid having to go down a solar route at the moment.

I have a PMS3 Power Management System and I assume this would continue to charge both batteries with ease (albeit slower than charging 1)
So my question is do I need to get the correct swivel base or is there any alternative?

https://www.veedubtransporters.co.uk/shop/t5-sportscraft-swivel-seat-base/
https://www.swivel-seats.com/vw-t5-t6/sportscraft-vw-t5-t6-handbrake-2014.html

Thanks

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
Depending on how much the nut drops down below the swivel plate, you may be able to fit a battery on its side within the seat base?

For example, in this picture the drivers seat (Right) has no swivel so the battery was fitted as normal; but on the passenger seat (left) there was a swivel plate so I fitted the battery on its side.

Seats Bases
by David, on Flickr
I don't know the make of the swivel plate but there was a series of nuts below the plate that needed to be cleared so maybe similar to yours?

Ideally you want to match the batteries in all respects, including age and use, but that can't happen! at the least match the technology and if possible model of battery; run both +ve and -ve cables from existing battery to new battery (not just +ve), connect the battery to the chassis and remove the chassis connection to the existing battery to provide a balanced setup.

The battery charger in the PMS3 is not much cop TBH. You would be best to get a separate Mains Charger and just never use the built-in one (that would hold even if you didn't add another battery)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply!

Depending on how much the nut drops down below the swivel plate, you may be able to fit a battery on its side within the seat base?
I trying to avoid doing that at the moment

For example, in this picture the drivers seat (Right) has no swivel so the battery was fitted as normal; but on the passenger seat (left) there was a swivel plate so I fitted the battery on its side.
I don't know the make of the swivel plate but there was a series of nuts below the plate that needed to be cleared so maybe similar to yours?
Couldnt see the pics

Ideally you want to match the batteries in all respects, including age and use, but that can't happen! at the least match the technology and if possible model of battery; run both +ve and -ve cables from existing battery to new battery (not just +ve), connect the battery to the chassis and remove the chassis connection to the existing battery to provide a balanced setup.
Are you saying that the earth of the new battery replaces the chassis earth of the existing Lesiure Battery? Is there somewhere under the seat that is suitable for this?

The battery charger in the PMS3 is not much cop TBH. You would be best to get a separate Mains Charger and just never use the built-in one (that would hold even if you didn't add another battery)
I have a Ctek in my other van and been thoroughlly impressed with it. I suppose my hesitancy here would be disabling the existing charging feature when on hookup and replacing with CTEK. I didnt put any of this wiring in, so woudl probably prefer to get someone in the know to do it.
I am also assuming that the existing circuitry is charging the batteries whilst driving through split charge relay or intelligent charging relay

Thanks for all your help

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
Replies like this
Thanks for reply!

I trying to avoid doing that at the moment
Avoiding putting a battery on its side, you mean? Ok to do if an AGM
Or are you meaning you would prefer to add the 2nd battery next to the existing one? easiest option if there is room.

Couldnt see the pics Added in now :)

Are you saying that the earth of the new battery replaces the chassis earth of the existing Lesiure Battery? Is there somewhere under the seat that is suitable for this? Correct. There is a earthing stud in the front of the base under the carpet. I prefer to use the seat base bolts as they are nice and chunky (M10 bolts :D )

I have a Ctek in my other van and been thoroughlly impressed with it. I suppose my hesitancy here would be disabling the existing charging feature when on hookup and replacing with CTEK. I didnt put any of this wiring in, so woudl probably prefer to get someone in the know to do it.
I am also assuming that the existing circuitry is charging the batteries whilst driving through split charge relay or intelligent charging relay
Ref Split Charge, Probably (depends how it is wired. It won't be anything better than a relay in the PMS3)

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I had a look at the existing battery and its this one.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/banner/95751/

I also noticed that the van has the same model number swivel seat for both passenger and drivers. Its hard to do any measurements under the seats with any real accuracy without taking seats out and moving carpet trim. My feeling is that I would need to replace the swivel seat and pair the battery with my existing. Putting an agm one on its side would mean I have a mix of battery type and I guess more problematic...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts