VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fitting some big spots to my bus, I've found various wiring diagrams on Doogle but has anyone on here done it? I'm wanting them to only come on with main beam but also the ability to switch them off when I'm not hacking down rural French roads 馃槼 I have the upgraded loom with two relays so not sure if that changes anything.
Thanks in advance

Full of Cr*p....
You just need another relay for the spots (if you don't have one), then take a feed from the high beam relay control, via a small switch (doesn't need to carry a load of current) inline to the spots relay control.
If you have a short nose (van, not you!), the best way to fit them is to drill into the lower section of the radiator grill to mount them, and connect with either bullet crimps or some other plug/socket system. (Not sure on long nose, as it's different shape.)
This way, if/when you need the van in "service" mode, you can remove the complete grill and spots as one unit.
I used to have mine on brackets....but that meant removing the spots/brackets every time you want to move the radiator.

Relay wiring:
Pin 30....+ve supply (via 15A fuse from battery)
Pin 85....to chassis or batt -ve
Pin 86... (Control) FROM Pin 86 of your loom upgrade relay (high beam, via a switch)
Pin 87...feed to spots.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the switch...if you want to see, you want to SEE!

IF your upgrade loom doesn't use std relays, you can take the Pin 86 feed from the output side (that goes to the high beam bulb)....you only need to connect to one side (LH or RH...depending on best route for cables).
Only problem with that method is, if the fuse blows for your high beam, your spots won't work either.

Let me know if you need more info/help....as I have exactly the same to do to help another member out.. andyduk1....doing the same.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Gaz
I bought the number plate bracket so the grill will come away without needing to move the lights.. I'll get out tomorrow and see what's going on with the upgrde relays, i have another relay ready.
I get your point about wanting to see but need to be subtle therefore switchable is preferred 馃敡

Full of Cr*p....
Sorry, I had the same bracket (Biltema?), but had to remove the lights every time to pull the rad forward.
Also, not a very secure fixing to the bumper...I used an extra 10 screws to secure it!
It's still on the van....can't be bothered taking the number plate off to unscrew it..LOL

OH...and before fitting it, give an extra few coats of paint....mine rusted after the 1st winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts