VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive recently got a t5 and had a respray but a cheap one but it aint to bad and he done a lot for £500 but he had it make once the paint had hardened off to mop and polish but now thers loadsa fine swirl marks the kind youd get from an orbital sander when sanding wood ,do you think hes gone over it with cutting compound but not polish? i didnt see him when i collected so not sure if hes finished it,when the vans wet you cant see em only in certain light like garage fourcourt which is when i noticed to night any info you guys

·
Registered
585 Posts
Shame your not closer as i,d get all swirl marks out, as a valeter their the pain in my :* as for using a cutting compound, i very much doubt it, unless he didnt take pride in his work and would have to be a hell of a cutting compund to leave swirl marks :confused: if you have access to a rotary polisher not a cheap halfords job I: and a good polish, pm me for ideas of polish, you should be able to get all of them out T:

·
Registered
402 Posts
hiya dude he more than likely has used cutting compound on her after flatting it back and he would of mopped it i would now say try polishing her with a good polish and a good wax it all should go easily enough........ T:

nick

·
Registered
585 Posts
thanks guys is it worth buying a polisher not the halfords ones coz there pants the ones with the foam pads think silverline do one cheap or shall i ring him and tell him im not overly impressed want it done so i can start putting me bling on her i got for christmas T:
u got pm wonkerer T:

·
Registered
514 Posts
he shud correct it fella,but for £500,u got a £500 job.I: meguiars do a three step cut/polish/wax system.its good stuff.regarding the polisher,i wouldnt try it unless you have experience with one.correcting mistakes is tricky.i cant advise you mate,without seeing how bad it is.go back to the `painter` and see wot he is prepared to do,then take it from there.good luck.T:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Dont agree with the money side of things.. £50 £500 £5000 youve still paid for a service which your not happy with... Dont try and correct it just take it back first and see what he will do!! I bloody would T:

·
Registered
585 Posts
he shud correct it fella,but for £500,u got a £500 job.I: meguiars do a three step cut/polish/wax system.its good stuff.regarding the polisher,i wouldnt try it unless you have experience with one.correcting mistakes is tricky.i cant advise you mate,without seeing how bad it is.go back to the `painter` and see wot he is prepared to do,then take it from there.good luck.T:
As above be careful of rotary's, very easy to burn paint if you dont know what your doing, i dont go over 1500rpm on mine so stops getting clear coat to hot and risk a burn, maybe use a dual action polisher like meguiars g220 as u cant do much damage with one of those as if to much pressure applied it will stop spinning T:

·
Registered
332 Posts
sounds like the guy used a d,a to flat it back before paint??? if the marks are very small swirls and quite a few of them this may be the cause ????

just a guess without seeing it??

martin

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
phoned the guy today and told him my concerns he said most probably that the paint has sunk back and needs moping again said it wasnt a problem he said its quite common with darker colours and mine is indian blue and will remop it next weekend so fingers crossed she'l be ok :ILU:

·
Registered
585 Posts
phoned the guy today and told him my concerns he said most probably that the paint has sunk back and needs moping again said it wasnt a problem he said its quite common with darker colours and mine is indian blue and will remop it next weekend so fingers crossed she'l be ok :ILU:
Good news, keep us posted T:

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

picked it up today bud looks worse than ever fish eyes are more noticable and swirl marks every where paint seem so soft i can rub fine scratches in it just with my finger rung him up coz he wasnt there and got to ring him tomorrow ,cant see him ever getting it right may try and get my money back and take it somewhere else and spend £2000 for a proper job gutted

·
Registered
334 Posts

picked it up today bud looks worse than ever fish eyes are more noticable and swirl marks every where paint seem so soft i can rub fine scratches in it just with my finger rung him up coz he wasnt there and got to ring him tomorrow ,cant see him ever getting it right may try and get my money back and take it somewhere else and spend £2000 for a proper job gutted.

I could definitely sort that out no problem...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
dont know much about paint work but i rekon thats just poor buffing, probably not put enough water on when cutting it.

me n chuffin hell gave my ezzy van a pretty rough paint job last week and i had to flat it off with 1200 grit wet n dry this left lots of swirl marks every where. i buffed it with cutting compound on sat with a buffer i lent off the valeters and it got rid of everything. it has 2 small heads instead of a big one. the trick is keep plenty of water on it so you dont burn the paint work like what i think has happened.

ok you only paid £500 but you should still be happy with it imo

a good valeter or painter should be able to salvage your paint i rekon

1 - 20 of 52 Posts