VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Having recently carried out the TDi conversion, I have been trying to fit the sprinter intercooler. Having read most of the threads about it, I know that it is very tight around the radiator, but mine will just not go around it. When the driver side is tight up against the radiator, with intercooler hoses on, the passenger side is about 6-8mm short of getting around the radiator. As a result, it sticks out towards the front at that side. :confused:
As it wont fit over the top, no matter how much inner plastic I remove, I am currently running around without my front grille, which obviously offers no protection to the intercooler and looks naff.
Any suggestions? I am seriously thinking of getting the persuading hammer out!
Cheers,
Dave
:ILU:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi mate, I had the same trouble.
I juggled it about it and turned it up the other way, it fitted a little better. But I still had to make strong brackets to bring it back in towards the radiator. I moved my radiator back about 20mm too. Welded some tabs onto the front panel and re drilled the mounting holes.
Even with all this work I still found it was pretty tight on my de badged grill.

Hope this helps and good luck !
Dan

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to reduce the size of the intercooler connections that are snagging on the radiator, to allow a bit of give as I don't want to bend the intercooler too much. Will still have the full circumference for the clip to go onto, just a little off the inner sides should do the trick.
Pics to follow.
Dave

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No pics, but months later and the hoses keep popping off and, with a week to go before Camperjam, I am at my wits end. :(:(:(
I have a new Sprinter intercooler but it still wont fit around the radiator.
What the crud am I doing wrong? Is there a mythical Sprinter intercooler that is 15mm wider and goes round the radiator?
Help, please, anyone.......... :eek:

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts