VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here, thought the title may grab , own a t5.1 you can see him on instagram #jeanclaudevancamper .

any way im here because of wheels and tyres, right , my van has 20" bebb alloys , 8.5j , dont know offset...came with the van from , its a t28 converted to a camper. standard suspension
it currently has 245/45/20 accelera tyres, they look awful, feel awful and i dont like them, really like the lifted swamper look but also really like my wheels, plan is to fit 275/40/20 all terrain tyres, general grabber at3 to be exact, the tyre looks fantastic T:

big question, will they fit?????? if only there was an all terrain tyre in 255/45/20 .... cooper do a 255/50/20 but again i think this will be to big..

i have been all over the forums, read everything more than once , still, my mind is blown.... argh.... drivin gthe wife crazy will this RESEARCH, her view , just put the cheap ones on,,, uh no..:*

help

regards
kev

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Sounds like a bad idea. 40% is over rated for rolling dimensions on 20's (should be 35 to match oem rolling dimensions), especially on a heavy camper, 45 is even more so and will give even more lift, and likely kill your driveshafts and stubshafts properly if theyre not already at an end.

A/T 50 sidewalls, thats an astoundingly stupid idea on a 20 and if they dont catch and rub itll be a suprise, and definitely knacker things lol. Would love to see how slow it goes, and how low the mpg and how high the road noise. A:

Accelera tyres on 20's LOL: So all the money spent on the vanity wheels and nothing spent on plastic tyres under a heavy vehicle. Tyres are all that keeps such expensive money pits connecteed to the road.

Lose the 20's go to a smaller size and fit a decent make tyre with more sidewall and it wont feel like a boneshaker.

Simple tyre dynamics, but if your set on 20's crack on and reap what you sow. T:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a bad idea. 40% is over rated for rolling dimensions on 20's (should be 35 to match oem rolling dimensions), especially on a heavy camper, 45 is even more so and will give even more lift, and likely kill your driveshafts and stubshafts properly if theyre not already at an end.

A/T 50 sidewalls, thats an astoundingly stupid idea on a 20 and if they dont catch and rub itll be a suprise, and definitely knacker things lol. Would love to see how slow it goes, and how low the mpg and how high the road noise. A:

Accelera tyres on 20's LOL: So all the money spent on the vanity wheels and nothing spent on plastic tyres under a heavy vehicle. Tyres are all that keeps such expensive money pits connecteed to the road.

Lose the 20's go to a smaller size and fit a decent make tyre with more sidewall and it wont feel like a boneshaker.

Simple tyre dynamics, but if your set on 20's crack on and reap what you sow. T:
plenty of people running about on bigger wheels with no problems mate, and if you read the post it says the van came with the wheel and tyre combo so i did not choose the cheap tyres and put big wheels on for vanity, however the wheels suit the van very well, im looking to move away from the cheaper end of the market and all terrains are a personal choice because i like them T: im not bothered about how slow it will go, its a camper after all, ive rad some of your posts on here regarding wheels and tyres and theyre all the same, htis will beak , that will break , i maintain the vehicle and check components regularly, so far nothing is worn or needing replacing at 45k miles so im pretty happy with that... :jiggy
next Rasp:

·
Registered
976 Posts
I run some of those daft vanity 20's with 275/40/20 tyres.
That size tyre/alloy combo is more of a low profile sporty tyre - so you won't get the beefy 'All Terrain' look in that diameter of wheel with 20" alloys - just the tread pattern.

As mindriot says, if you want the swamper look, you need to ditch the 20" rim and go for an 18 or smaller to be able to fit more sidewall. Otherwise it'll just look like you've got daft vanity wheels but couldn't afford to lower it to suit.

If you try fit a taller profile tyre to your 20's, regardless of it's affect on your speed/gearing/speedo being out, you'll run into problems with them fouling the arches and apart from potentially causing a blow-out it'll be an MOT fail too.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
plenty of people running about on bigger wheels with no problems mate, and if you read the post it says the van came with the wheel and tyre combo so i did not choose the cheap tyres and put big wheels on for vanity, however the wheels suit the van very well, im looking to move away from the cheaper end of the market and all terrains are a personal choice because i like them T: im not bothered about how slow it will go, its a camper after all, ive rad some of your posts on here regarding wheels and tyres and theyre all the same, htis will beak , that will break , i maintain the vehicle and check components regularly, so far nothing is worn or needing replacing at 45k miles so im pretty happy with that... :jiggy
next Rasp:
You must have blinkers on when you read and only see what you want to see. I post a lot of useful advice so put your dummy back in and grow up a bit.

You bought it like that so unless youre utterly oblivious to any knowledge whatsover you made the choice. T:

Its clearly a waste of time talking to you as youre apparently of the "but I really want to mentality", cant take constructive criticism and not enough brains to take sensible advice. Youre intending to do what you already planned, you just want an asskissing to reassure you on your way. See you parked on the hard shoulder somewhere, as I do dozens of knackered campers every week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts