VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

just noticed a squeaking when turning the steering wheel both stationary and in motion , its like a rubbery squeaking noise , the noise it also there when driving alone over a rough road....

I go the missus to turn the steering wheel and i stuck my ear under the arches and it seems to be coming from the drivers side but I cant pin point where from... im guessing drop links but im sure it can be any thing , ... if a ball joint was fooked would it squeak? or just knock?

any help appreciated T:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine does this too. When I got it serviced I was told that there was "a bit of play in the steering rack but nothing to worry about just yet".

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
hi all

just noticed a squeaking when turning the steering wheel both stationary and in motion , its like a rubbery squeaking noise , the noise it also there when driving alone over a rough road....

I go the missus to turn the steering wheel and i stuck my ear under the arches and it seems to be coming from the drivers side but I cant pin point where from... im guessing drop links but im sure it can be any thing , ... if a ball joint was fooked would it squeak? or just knock?

any help appreciated T:
Well this could be one of two things buddy. Rod ends or lower ball joints. I had this myself. If you stand on the step the driver or passenger door and bounce up and down, does it sqeak? I had this when I drove it as well. Had the above change and it's fine now. No noise.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both of you's .... Will try step bounce trick in morning lol , I hope it's not the steering rack to be honest , I bought drop links today to fit , thought I'd try cheapest easiest thing first

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Did you try the bounce test then buddy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well this could be one of two things buddy. Rod ends or lower ball joints. I had this myself. If you stand on the step the driver or passenger door and bounce up and down, does it sqeak? I had this when I drove it as well. Had the above change and it's fine now. No noise.
Mine does the Step bounce squeak too. Its driving me mad!!! What exactly do you think is causing it? Rod ends or lower ball joints?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Mine does the Step bounce squeak too. Its driving me mad!!! What exactly do you think is causing it? Rod ends or lower ball joints?
Thanks
got the same shrieking as well,

going to work through all the ball joints and lower and upper then work out on the bushes until it all goes... failing that just turn the stereo higher.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pretty sure it's the drop links. I reckon even with my minimal mechanical knowledge I can replace them. Hopefully that sorts it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Pretty sure it's the drop links. I reckon even with my minimal mechanical knowledge I can replace them. Hopefully that sorts it.
have changed one side of the van, and would you adam and eve it, no squeaking on that side anymore.

this weekend will see the other side changed so happy driving again.

fairly easy to do, just a pig to get the old drop link off.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Check your top ball joint dust covers, mine is doing this now since they split, so need to change them this week it's a horrendous noise!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts