VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys.

I have now noticed my van squeaking while im driving :eek: It was probably doing it before but hadn't noticed. With weather being warm & having the windows down Ive heard it. It happens as explained earlier in previous thread, at the start of the day for about 30 seconds when engine in a bit juddery & briefly at each start up but now I have noticed that if driving along & I cancel the drive, either by dipping the clutch or coming on & off the accelerator it chirps every time whether Im coming on or off the gas. (Checked for stray budgys :) ). It doesn't sqeak over bumps. What is it?? Its now drivin mi up the pole. All belts done a month ago + pump. 2.5 Tdi 88.

Cheers,

Warren

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is it different at different engine revs? Mine got steadily worse, started as no specific squeaking, somtimes there, sometimes not there. When bad it was really bad, squeaked when dabbing the brakes, when taking foot off the gas, when cornering or just at random.
Finally there was enough info for the garag to trace it to the top ball joint, nearside.
Was wrose in the summer with windows down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that Sparrow.

What exactly does the top ball joint do. Can I go to it & make it sqeak to check? Did it do it over bumps cos mine doesn't, just when engine starts & on & off the gas & when engine stops as turn it off. I know squeals & sqeaks can be hard to track down but just looking for as many ideas as poss to nail it.

Cheers,

Warren

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Tighten all 4 bolts on the engine pan.. cured my budgie

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
ive got a similar sound first thing in the morning then sometimes when at a standstill
stops when i rev engine

so yesterday got a crow bar out back of van and pushed against exhaust

right by where the cat is

under drivers door

and it stopped straight away

it was the exhaust

got one on order.

have a try you never know

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys,

I will try belly pan & exhaust tomoz first thing when its at its most squeaky A: Or I could always strap one of the kids underneath like Indiana Jones to prod & poke as I driveI:

Heres hopin,

Warren

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Sounds like it could be a pulley bearing, like on the alternator or belt tensioner. It sound more engine bay issue than suspension to me.

To find out put a screwdriver on the alternator and so on, stick your ear next to the other end, this amplifies the sound and you can eliminate one thing at a time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts