VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost everytime I put my heater fan on speed 1 or 2 it squeaks, but stops when the vans going rite, and becomes even more apparent when going left? Putting the fan on 3 or 4 makes the fan silent? Any tips on what it is, I don't even know where the fan is situated in the van? It's 2.4d 1997 T4!

Any help would be quality cheers

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
H: Oooooh I've got this! (I don't know how to fix it though, Sorry, I'll watch this thread with particular intrest ;) )

Chris

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
:eek: Oh NO! It's a Pandemic! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!! LOL:

Someone must know how to fix it :confused:

Chris

·
Registered
345 Posts
OMG!!!. mine does that aswell.the way i resolved it...................turned up the sterio lol

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Both my old and current van suffer from this exact problem.

The fan is behind the glove box. I removed the glove box and dismantled the fan and sprayed it with a silicone spray lubricant.
This fix lasted about 4-5 months, I guess until it dried up. It was well worth the effort as the 1 speed squeaking is very annoying !!!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Seems to me that the bearing is screaming out for lube. I would do as ironhead has but use a gun lube that has teflon in it. After the lube dries the teflon remains. A possible reason it's noisy only when turning could be end float in fan although I haven't seen what it looks like inside.

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
I: I had (Ahem..) a quick look at work this morning. What a palava, trying to unship the fan from out of the under dash area was (at my attempt) impossible, I couldn't see where I might lube the shaft of the fan assembly and was also mindful of lube and electrickery and possible fire consiquences.
The glove box was ok to remove but the fan box/trunking assembly looked like major surgery so I binned it as a bad job and put it all back together :(

I Saw the fan, motor and mounting plate but could'nt for the life of me get it past the trunking and crossmember, I did'nt want to force it so I stopped. I'm sure there must be a simple way of doing it but I'll be blowed if I can figure it out LOL:

......and HOW much rubbish/junk can anybody conceveibly get in a glovebox!!!

Chris

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You do not have to remove the whole gubbins...............
Remove glove box,then you can see motor there is a little sqare tag about 5.00 0clock lift tag and turn motor anti clockwise and motor will come out enough to be able to see the windings etc give it a good squirt with an aerosol based lube teflon based if you like slot it back in spin it up and repeat a few times to make sure you got it all round.
Its not going to catch fire

·
Registered
781 Posts
Take off the pollen filter run the fan and squirt into the hole some times works if not i drilled a small hole in the back of the outer motor casing then used the straw that comes with the silicone spray to get at the motor working fine four monthes later T:

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
Take off the pollen filter run the fan and squirt into the hole some times works if not i drilled a small hole in the back of the outer motor casing then used the straw that comes with the silicone spray to get at the motor working fine four monthes later T:
Just out of intrest, whereabouts in the casing did you drill the hole? I saw a screw head on the 'topmost' portion(but didnt remove it for fear of the motor unshipping and me not being able to get it back in position) In relation to this screw, where is your hole? (fnaar fnaar ;) )

Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts