VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My from brakes keep squecking non stop and its driving me up the wall !!
I had new discs and pads not so long ago and they work really well.
I have today removed the front pads and covered with copper ease on the back of the pads put it still keeps squeeling.

Can anyone shed some light as to a cure for this, summer is coming and i need my windows open but with the squeel this makes it impossable. :*

Regards Si

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds very much like the fronts as when I am driving and apply just a very slight amount of pressure on the brake pedal it stops also if I turn the steering wheel slightly while it's squeaking then it stops until I straighten up again !! There must be an answer to this.......

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
hi have you checked for play in wheel bearing, one of the other things to try is just to file a small amount off the edges of the pads so that there is a very slight tapper to the edge, its probable that they just need bedding in, i was recomended no heavy braking for about 100 miles as they need to bed in,

·
Banned
300 Posts
give the a clean with brake cleaner .

do you get the noise if you are harder on the brakes ?

i have always had this because only use brakes very rare had my van 5yrs and never needed pads I: i found they glaze because not using them hard this causing the noise .

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for that, ill strip out the front brakes again and try filing the edges off the pads.

hi have you checked for play in wheel bearing, one of the other things to try is just to file a small amount off the edges of the pads so that there is a very slight tapper to the edge, its probable that they just need bedding in, i was recomended no heavy braking for about 100 miles as they need to bed in,

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get somw brake cleaner this weekend and give it a try thanx fella

give the a clean with brake cleaner .

do you get the noise if you are harder on the brakes ?

i have always had this because only use brakes very rare had my van 5yrs and never needed pads I: i found they glaze because not using them hard this causing the noise .

·
Registered
654 Posts
squealing brakes is usually down to brake dust but can be an early indication also your brakes are getting low , check the thickness of your pads if all ok remove them and copper slip the backs of them that will stop the noise

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Mine are the same at the moment, had new brakes fitted last year and it drives me nuts, better try cleaning mine as well, thank-you all for replying to this thread i kept meaning to look it up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My discs are about 3 months old, I replaced all my discs and pads with cross drilled and groved ones. Don't know what compound the pads are made of to know if there hard or not !!

squealing brakes is usually down to brake dust but can be an early indication also your brakes are getting low , check the thickness of your pads if all ok remove them and copper slip the backs of them that will stop the noise

1 - 11 of 11 Posts