VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya we've been getting a squeaking sound coming from the underneath of our 1998 caravelle 2.5tdi we had both nsf ball joints replaced and the lower on the drivers side which were all squeaking we've also had the track rod ends and inner arms replaced. When i brought it back from the garage that did the upper ball joint there was a bit of a squeak that sounded like one of the ball joints were still squeaking but obviously theyre new so it cant be but it only squeaked when going over speed bumps or larger bumps now it seems to be happening when driving down a slightly bumpy road and its faintly there on the steering aswell. I had one of the girls wiggle the steering wheel yesterday while we were parked in morrisons and it seemed like it was coming from nearer the middle of the van.

Any ideas what it could be? Is the steering rack on rubber mounts? i thought it could be wiggling about as the bumps on road transfer thru to the steering rack and that would explain the squeak on the steering aswell.

Any help or ideas much apriciated. I will be having a closer look at it tonight so if anyone could point me in the right direction would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
645 Posts
I had a bit of squeaky noise coming from the drivers side front suspension a while back. It drove me mad, trying to track it down, spraying lube on all the bushes. In then end, I had to replace the front dampers to get it through an MOT, and when I did this, the squeak went way. Looking at the old dampers, it was clear the plastic shrouds had been rubbing on the metal body for quite a while, so I presumed this was the cause of the squeak....

Andy

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I had a squeak a while ago spent ages hunting it down and changed may a bush it my search.

after a little pay and read it turns out it was my sliding door.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Was it the pin locator things in the B pillar that were squeaking on yours webbe01? I had to dismantle mine when I got the fan, clean them thoroughly, and regrease before refitting too. That was quite obviosu though, as that squeak was coming from the back of the van, not underneath....

Andy

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Was it the pin locator things in the B pillar that were squeaking on yours webbe01? I had to dismantle mine when I got the fan, clean them thoroughly, and regrease before refitting too. That was quite obviosu though, as that squeak was coming from the back of the van, not underneath....

Andy
yep thats it.

I got my dad to drive the van whilst i was sat in the back trying to hear where it came from, and then he did the same. when your in the front it sounded like the rear axel and when in the back it sounded like the front axel. bits got changed and then the mechanic put some copper slip there when driving it back from MOT and it was fixed :)

Im not very mechanically minded which doesnt help

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a tremendous squeak (T4 on a T plate) when going over bumps and decided in the end I would have to live with it as there was no apparent cause. My son (who was 6) solved it: he kicked his football under the front of the van and it squeaked. Turned out it was the pan under the engine. Previous owner had damaged the bolts that attach it and it was jumping up and down on its retainers (little hook things). Clive (proper old school mechanic) at the garage in Bridge drilled out the old bolt and shoved in a new one. A quick fix was to bang a wedge of wood into the gap to stop the pan moving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts