VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got my spangly new wheels fitted and would like to drop my van a bit further, and improve my ride quality a bit compared to the Eibach springs it's currently sat on.

I don't have the budget for Bilsteins, but Projex offer KW and therefore the new ST sub-brand too....

Does anyone know about these, or even better, has anyone tried them yet? Sounds like a good halfway house!

My concern is that Projex suspected that the max drop may only be 65mm, which is slightly disappointing for this type of investment. They also said they thought only the basic non adjustable damping version would fit a T30?

Hope someone out there knows more? :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Used to be what was known as Weitec which had really good reviews in Skoda circles when I used to have my Octy vRS. 65mm is a bit of a rubbish drop though - maybe Gaz for around the same price would be worth looking at or getting the STs and doing the hub mod to get the front down a touch more?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
you won't drop far with that front wheel/tyre choice untill you have rubbing issues, so shouldn't worry to much about the drop..... did warn you in another post ( 8.5 front wheels, staggard)

·
Registered
207 Posts
So for that price you can't get better dampening and their for handling with te background and experience of one fo the biggest name in suspension. But if your purpose is only the look then go for some of ty cheap coilovers like mention above.

Did you that if you go too mow your suspension will go super soft even you put some super stiff spring.
That just a base of suspension geometry and it's called rolled center. You will also only run on the bump stop. Their is a reason why big suspension brand don't go to low. It's not to ruined your handlng by dropping rolled center out of range.

But if your target is to drive at max 60 Mph per our and have to slow down to 5mph to pass a speed bump creating a traficjam behind you go for those cheap super down coiler's.

Me I like lower suspension with still some dampening that can absorb speed bump almost without slow down

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No - damping is very important to me, it's not all about appearances - I am only mentioning the drop becuase of teh difference between these and the bilsteins, which drop an awful lot further.

I definitely don't want cheap and nasty coilovers (I know they aren't actually coilovers on a T5 strictly speaking!) as I want less body roll. The reason the lack of adjustability concerns me is that I am a big fan of the benefits of damping adjustment in order to control both feel and performance...

I probably don't need a kit that drops me onto the pavement (actually, I definitely don't need that!) but I want to be able to close my arch gaps a bit more than the current set up. I've never lowered a T5 before, so I guess I am uncertain what exact amount I want to be able to lose...but the current set up has a 40mm spring drop and the arches could do with being a little more sug I reckon:

Should I learn more about Gaz? Are they supposed to be reliable and perform well etc? The Vmaxx seem to fit into a similar price point, but look pretty unreliable and seem to decay fast, plus I don't think you'll get any spares for them....which I presume that you can for the ST's?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I've got VMax (the new ones which came out about a year back) and so far, very impressed with them. I understand the older design ones went a lot lower out the box but it seems, at the cost of reliability.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been a bit put off the Vmaxx by the durability of the earlier version - there's a lot of people who have struggled to get 10K miles out of them.....I don't expect my tyres to outlive my suspension. :eek: Whilst the newer generation ones may be better it seems like it might still be early to tell?

I have spotted that the Gaz are available for £674 online at the moment; anyone using these at the moment? Look slike they could be a good solution as they have the da,ping adjuststability which the ST seems to lack for a T30...

I would love to know what the comparisons are like between the two from anyone who has tried them!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am currently running the KW variant 3. They go alot lower than the 65mm listed (think that is something they have to have on there for TUV approval). they will go on a t30 as that is what i have. Well pleased with mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They look lovely - but they should; they cost significantly more than Bilsteins, and twice the price of the ST models! Would love to have pockets deep enough...

However, it does raise an obvious question; why are the STs so much cheaper? Sure, there are materials differences, but this doesn't make that significant an impact...so, have they significantly cut a corner somewhere? Are the dampers significantly different internally?

It would be great if a retailer or distributor with a bit more knowledge could enter this conversation with some comments....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sorry missed out that the kW and St are pretty much the same firm. So if the kW v3 is listed to only go down 65mm but go more I'm sure the st's will do the same. Give kw a call I'm sure they will let you know the difference apart from kW having the inox coating and st being galvanised.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Sorry only just seen this. Not sure if you got it sorted or not. I've had a set of ST's in the workshop for nearly two years now, you've just reminded me I've still got to send them back. Started knocking after a few miles. I want to have faith in KW but I've had issues with after sales and I'm a dealer. I would very much listen to owners on here, a lot of people like the Bilstein kits. I can't give you any prices as I don't advertise on here. I can only suggest you save up or buy via an interest free medium. It will be better in the long run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts