VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of doing the project power thing on the van, it's really on the way now. The next thing I need to sort out is a new exhaust, I've read a load of posts but nothing has made things any clearer.

I want to get the exhaust done before the tuning but can't decide what I want. So any advice is welcome.

I'm basically looking for the best compromise between quiet and free flowing.

My mate has just had his done and has had a 2.25" pipe with a decat and single silencer at the back but says it can be a little loud on the motorway (I still need to get us both in the same place at the same time to get a proper ride in it to see exactly what it sounds like).

Now I've read somewhere that a silencer at the front where the cat used to be and then straight through is a good option.

So I'm confused. Should I go for 1 silencer at the rear, 1 silencer at the front, 2 silencers rear and centre, or 2 silencers rear and front?

The local stainless place to me is Powerflow, but I understand that they compression bend not mandrel bend stuff which I've heard isn't so good?

I'd quite like to use PPTuning as I see that they have had some very positive comments made here but they are miles away from me and I can't really justify a 600 mile round trip (although maybe a 800 mile ProjectPower road trip is on the cards).

Any recommendations for places around Exeter?
Any opinions on which systems are too loud or too restrictive?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi, you dont have to do a 600mile round trip, we deliver to you to fit yourself T:
If your looking to do the power route avoid compression bent, they neck the bends down by as much as 30% :eek:
Give me a call or message and ill go through with you what we can offer you. cheers jason T:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jason at Co at PPTuning fittied mine last week and can't recommend highly enough. A: The stainless system now looks and sounds the dogs danglies, not too loud just a nice deep rumble. The drive back home was awsome as they fitted new springs and dampers so the combination was quite something.. Will post some pics when i get 5mins. Thanks again and as Jason says you could get it posted to your doorstep and get someone local to fit it if your not handy with a spanner. T:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi, you dont have to do a 600mile round trip, we deliver to you to fit yourself T:
If your looking to do the power route avoid compression bent, they neck the bends down by as much as 30% :eek:
Give me a call or message and ill go through with you what we can offer you. cheers jason T:
Hi i,am interested in your advice about 'compression bent' does this mean the bends are more acute than they need to be?? thus restricting flow??T:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi, compression bent means they would normally use thick walled stainless tube or dairy tube anything from 2mm wall thick upwarss, the reason for this is so that the hydraulic ram doesnt squash the tube too flat while trying to bend.
The radius is also often larger to avoid the crushing effect, most compression bends will at least squash the bend down by 25% on a 90deg bend and upto 50% on 120deg plus.
Mandrel bending on the other hand has whats called a mandrel ball that follows the bend as its being bent keeping the bend the same daimeter and without crushing it, usually wall thickness is less (1.0-1.5) so the weight is also less.
Using the thinner exhaust tube and not dairy tube also stops the tinny noise often mentioned with stainless exhausts.
examples below.

mandrel bend

compression bend

both together, spot the difference

a mandrel from the bender

vw caddy 2.5inch front pipe

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
i already had a SS decat pipe fitted and just needed the mid and rear sections, initially looked at side exit PPTuning but the silencer is in the decat pipe and would foul my bpillar mounted eber exhaust..
this morning i went to MrTyre in Coventry and had a Powerflow SS single box (at rear, twin tails) fitted, it follows the standard VW routing and maintains the diameter of the decat pipe 2.25" i think..
although the bends in the mid and rear section are compression formed the bends are of low angles thus the necking is slight..
took ~ 2hrs to fit and cost £250..
went for mid sport and was surprised how subtle it is, idle is deeper and has more burble but in the cab little difference A:

needed it sorting sharpish as remap is hopefully imminent T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts