VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I currently have a standard VW stereo, well the 4 channel one (but only running the front speakers).
Can any one tell me what I can fit to it for the rears and bass???
ie will it give enough output to just connect some larger rear spearkers?
Or am I best off fitting a resonable Amp to do that plus a bass?
And if so is there any issues connecting direct to my Stereo, ie is the out put to high to go direct to another Amp or do I need "pre-outs"??? :confused:

Many thanks, Jon

·
Registered
205 Posts
Assuming you have a Gamma stereo, which since you have outputs for 4 speakers, the you may be able to run an amplifier off of it.
The output of the Gamma Stereo is 4x15W which if i'm being honest isn't a great deal. ecpecially if your speakers are large enough to handle lots more power.

What a lot of people don't realise is that the gamma stereo does have preouts, though not in the conventional format. It's a mini iso connector. you can buy a lead deisgned to give you the conventional preouts. it's made by autoleads and is called a pc3-11, about £10 off ebay ebay link

this will allow you to connect an amplifier to the standard stereo whilst still keeping the factory look [blue/red]

My personal preference for this setup would be to run a 4 channel amp from the head unit and use this for the main speakers. making sure to use the high pass filter, then daisy chain a mono or bridgable 2 channel amp with low pass filter to power a sub.

This will allow the correct frequencies through to the correct speakers letting you crank it up without distortion.

ScuBen

·
Registered
205 Posts
meant to add, check which gamma unit you have, there are two different ones, the blaupunkt, which has gamma on the tape flap and philips i think which has gamma under the volume control.

the previous information applies to the one with gamma on the tape flap.

also pull the unit out to check that the preout pins are there, as i think some of the earlier models didn't have these.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The aux input forms part of the cd changer connection, if you don't have a cd changer you can get a connector to give you photo/3.5mm jcak inputs, Telephone mute is standard for nearly all stereos, but you are correct in that it has phone input, for handsfree systems where you are supposed to interupt the wiring to one seaker, you can instead route the output to the tel+ and tel- connections of the stereo

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The tele-mute connections are no good for putting sound through either - before anyone asks.

Tried that when fitting a mk9200i into an audi with bose. it sounded ****

1 - 7 of 7 Posts