VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post, so please go easy on me!
Finally bought my first VW at the turn of the year. 2010 T5 panel van that will hopefully be a camper come the summer!
All stripped out now and (almost) ready to get electrics and insulation done.
On having a good look around I found a pocket of water in the panel to the rear of the nearside wheel arch. There is some rust debris in the water so must have been happening for a little while. Any ideas on how to clear the water and any clues on what might stop it re-gathering? - I've tried to show this in the photos
Any help much appreciated

The water is resting below a plastic cover and there is a rubber gromett with a lead exiting it at the water line

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

This hole is in the plastic cover under the section where the water is pooling. The van is not driveable so the dampness must be from running water.

Tim

·
Registered
518 Posts
Under the cover for the sliding door rail you will find a large plastic cap where the motor mounts for the electric door models.
This will have a perished gasket so a quick clean and some applied sealant will sort it.:)

·
Special Rapporteur
10,157 Posts
Another possibility are the clips that hold the panel that covers the door rail in the middle of the rear panel. Sealant or replacement with the newer design of clip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll go and have a look...
I'm guessing there should be a drainage hole in the bottom there somewhere that is probably blocked. Have had a root around but cant find it with my clumsy fingers!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I had the same problem when converting my bus - standing water in both rear quarter panels which was coming in from both the sliding door rail clips and the perished rubber grommet surround.

I can't post links for some reason, but this topic had been discussed at length recently by '3dr-rally-slag' and there are several pictures which may help. VW have upgraded the rail clips now, but when I replaced them I also dipped them in some clear sealant before pushing them home.

I also have sausage fingers and found it much easier to gain access to the rear quarter panels by removing the rear bumper (sounds drastic but it's pretty straight forward...) and going in via the door shut vents which just clip in / out...

Good Luck T:

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
From memory, you will need seven clips (shown as no. 16) and one black plastic cover / grommet (shown as no. 21)

Double this amount if you've got a twin slider and want to do both sides...

The old clips look like this...

whereas the new, updated clips look like this...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brilliant help here guys... thanks.
Found that other thread - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=426297

Have a new plastic bung and the holding clips on the way - all came to less than a fiver from VW. Will seal them in as well to make sure before covering everything up.

Sturgey - I've cleared the water with my clumsy hands and a cloth from above. I couldn't see a drainage hole anywhere, is that right? Is there any other reason I should take the bumper off and get right in there or can I wrap this one up?!

Loads of thanks again T:

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
If you've managed to get rid of the water, leave the bumper on dude - no point in making work for yourself...

I don't remember there being a drainage hole there, but there again, if you replace the clips and grommets and use a bit of sealant, there's no reason why it should need one. I:

VW's - gotta love 'em.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you've managed to get rid of the water, leave the bumper on dude - no point in making work for yourself...

I don't remember there being a drainage hole there, but there again, if you replace the clips and grommets and use a bit of sealant, there's no reason why it should need one. I:

VW's - gotta love 'em.
Thanks. I share your optimism... leave well alone.

Nice:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts