VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
went into my local m.e autoparts today, while waiting for my parts i noticed some tins easy start.

i thought i was seeing things when i read on the tin

START YA B*****D LOL: insted of easy start

anyone else seen this :confused:

gota nip back tomorrow might buy a tin just for the sake of it i thought it was well amusing :)

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I had a Kawasaki Z650 about 15 years ago that was addicted to that stuff !!

serious. I gave up even trying to start it from cold, pop the seat, squirt of ES into the air box - fired into life straight away. I even told the guy I sold it to - he didnt beleive me. -

dont remember it saying that on the tin though - very accurate

·
Registered
758 Posts
If this is the same stuff as the old "cold start" sprays from way back it is probably an ether based spray. If too much is sprayed into the engine it will wash any lubricant off the cylinder bores just as the compression rings / oil control ring is rubbing up and down it as the engine cranks over. Not good for the bores!

There was an urban rumour that diesel engines get "addicted" to ether start, to the point that they will not start without it.

What tends to happen is that a possible fault with the original cold start mechanism (glow plugs etc) has deteriorated or worn cylinder bores / gummed up piston rings have slowly lost more and more compression and the ether start has masked this fault for a while, but as the fault gets worse even the ether cannot overcome the problem.

Many of the gritting lorries at the council yard i used to work at had this problem. Mainly caused by drivers spraying the stuff in out of habit on a icy cold morning without trying to start the engine the normal way and ended up scoring all the bores on the small auxilliary donkey engines. It got to the point that when new gritters were bought the management banned all easy start products from the yard.

Just a thought, and always happy to be corrected :ILU:

Just googled "start ya b*****d" - it does use ether.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea its got ether it is easy start just couldnt believe what i was reading :) in fact when i went back this morning i bought a can, just for the sake of it
ill try upload a pic in a bit

·
Registered
450 Posts
Heh I love it! I was in Scotland with a friends Ford Transit camper that needed this to get going in the morning. The problem was that the stuff came out of the can as a liquid after spending the night in the cold.....

The T4 had to come to the rescue and do a tow start!
:ILU:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Cool. I wouldn't advise using it all the time but it's [email protected]@dy good stuff to have around. Also handy if you hammered the battery while away camping, gets the van to fire up when the battery is just about dead. Seems to be getting harder to find these days (Halfords seem to have stopped stocking it) so stocked up on a couple of tins as Tesco are selling it off cheap as they're dropping it as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts