VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it might me a two way offer here. You gain the experience by helping me muddle throught the conversion and gain the experience of how to do it yourself. Tea and Coffee will be on hand for anyone interested and some snacks to keep us all going T: Basicly i'm starting on Sunday and i have 12 days before i have to go back to work and i'm aiming to get it done in that time so if anyone fancies popping over at any stage to lend a hand just drop me a PM and i will forward my address. I am a fish out of water with this level of mechanics and if nothing else could do with some company to give me a confidence boost.

Thanks to Thevandidit for the loan of the stand, the crane and the offer of assistance for Sunday. Also thanks Kieran for offering assistance too it is much appreciated T:T:T:T:T:

Its a new idea of mine but could be beneficial for all parties involved :ILU:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Re: Starting the TDi conversion Sunday, anyone fancy lending me a hand?

BALLS!! If only i lived nearer! I would be all over this! good luck!!T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

BALLS!! If only i lived nearer! I would be all over this! good luck!!T:
Thanks bud, if you change your mind and can make it drop me a PM :)

·
Registered
3,944 Posts

Likewise, if you were closer and I wasn't working Sat/Sun night I'd be well up for giving you a hand

Good luck, no doubt I'll be picking your brain when I get round to doing mineI:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

i wish i could give you a hand with the spanners but i fear carlisle is a little to far from norwich

obviously if you need any help or advise from me dont hesitate to give me a shout T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Likewise, if you were closer and I wasn't working Sat/Sun night I'd be well up for giving you a hand

Good luck, no doubt I'll be picking your brain when I get round to doing mineI:
Theres always next week if you fancy it I:

i wish i could give you a hand with the spanners but i fear carlisle is a little to far from norwich

obviously if you need any help or advise from me dont hesitate to give me a shout T:
Thanks mate any support is appreciated, i'm getting the nerves now. Not looking forward to the drilling and wiring :eek:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Me likewise - the trip is a bit far for me too alas ~600 mile round trip :eek: Bear in mind that I'm only a PM away if I can be of help. Best of luck with it T: You will be very pleased with the end result, (and so will I again when I find a new MAF LOL:)

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Me likewise - the trip is a bit far for me too alas ~600 mile round trip :eek: Bear in mind that I'm only a PM away if I can be of help. Best of luck with it T: You will be very pleased with the end result, (and so will I again when I find a new MAF LOL:)
Thanks again bud, i will keep you all updated on progress on this thread and try and take some pictures as i go. Dont VW do exchange MAF service?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Thanks again bud, i will keep you all updated on progress on this thread and try and take some pictures as i go. Dont VW do exchange MAF service?
MAF sorted now - faulty connectors are a pain in the...I:

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts

Best of luck with your conversion first timer hope it all goes like clockwork and the weather holds out for you...have fun T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Best of luck with your conversion first timer hope it all goes like clockwork and the weather holds out for you...have fun T:
Thanks Aggie, :wzd i will keep this thread updated on progress with pictures and post any problems i encounter on on the way here.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

I too wish I was closer, I'd have been well up for this. Good idea Jimmy, even if you just have another pair of hands for taking the photos you will be bound to get all the necessary help and info from people reading the thread if you come up against any barriers.

Good luck, I'll keep an eye on the progress here :D

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I just posted this up because i know if i could have been involved in a conversion prior to doing mine it would have given me a greater understanding about how to do it. Thanks to all the offers of help Aggie, Penbryn and Golfgtioz and to Kieran and Thevandidit in advance for coming to help me on sunday, you are all superstars A:A:A:A:A:A:A:

The offer is still open if anyone fancies popping over in the next week even if its just for moral support and a cuppa :ILU:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

I just posted this up because i know if i could have been involved in a conversion prior to doing mine it would have given me a greater understanding about how to do it. Thanks to all the offers of help Aggie, Penbryn and Golfgtioz and to Kieran and Thevandidit in advance for coming to help me on sunday, you are all superstars A:A:A:A:A:A:A:

The offer is still open if anyone fancies popping over in the next week even if its just for moral support and a cuppa :ILU:
just checked the route planner , 281.01 miles 6 hours 29 mins .. but if your offering cuppa's and biscuits ( choc hobnobs ) i'll see what i can do I: :D

it will be no bother JJ , most of us have figured out all the annoying little problems so I'm sure if you have any issues they will be easily resolved by the forum collective :ILU:

best of luck with it fella , keep us posted

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

just checked the route planner , 281.01 miles 6 hours 29 mins .. but if your offering cuppa's and biscuits ( choc hobnobs ) i'll see what i can do I: :D

it will be no bother JJ , most of us have figured out all the annoying little problems so I'm sure if you have any issues they will be easily resolved by the forum collective :ILU:

best of luck with it fella , keep us posted
I'm sure it will, so long as its all logical i will figure it out. Do you recon we could get both engines out and on the bench in a day? I only have extra muscle for the one day thats all. Biscuits and tea is a definate maybe even a bacon buttie all cooked outdoor stylee in the van (mrs is a veggie, doh) T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well a bit of an update for you all. With the help of thevandidit (thanks again buddy T:) we managed to remove the old motor and have started stripping out the golf motor which i will hopefully be removing tomorrow. I'm in deep, and there is no turning back now. I took some pictures from today but the computer says no so i will have to post them later for you all. A couple of questions for the experts. How does the multiplug come undone? and presumably if its not connected to the engine sensors or the EGR & N75 it can be removed? What happens to the wire on the head and on the oil cooler, do i use the golf ones or wire the ones from the van?

Its all getting a bit daunting now, i'm scared i wont be able to get it all back together again even though all the bolts from the van are in money bags and labled. Any advice anyone can give me for this stage in the proceedings would be appreciated T:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Well a bit of an update for you all. With the help of thevandidit (thanks again buddy T:) we managed to remove the old motor and have started stripping out the golf motor which i will hopefully be removing tomorrow. I'm in deep, and there is no turning back now. I took some pictures from today but the computer says no so i will have to post them later for you all. A couple of questions for the experts. How does the multiplug come undone? and presumably if its not connected to the engine sensors or the EGR & N75 it can be removed? What happens to the wire on the head and on the oil cooler, do i use the golf ones or wire the ones from the van?

Its all getting a bit daunting now, i'm scared i wont be able to get it all back together again even though all the bolts from the van are in money bags and labled. Any advice anyone can give me for this stage in the proceedings would be appreciated T:

Multiplug is a bayonet type - looking at it from the back turn the inner part of the collar CCW until the orange mark lines up with the outer half of the collar and it should come straight off.

Yes loom can be removed once all of the connectors have been disconnected.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jimmy, think it went quite well. Hopefully I'll get some time next weekend to come back and help get the tdi lump in:ILU:
It would be handy if you could mate, like i said you are welcome to pop over on saturday and stop over if you like (any excuse for a few beers). Thanks for posting the pics mate and thanks for all your hard work today T:

1 - 20 of 245 Posts