VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to everybody. i have a 04 174 caravelle manual . the starter motor does not run when ignition is in start position .i have checked the 12 volt feed to the solenoid and this is not getting any power when the ignition is operated in start position . i have checked fuses below gearstick and at side of battery they seem ok .every thing else i think is not affected ignition on lights go out you can hear fuel being pumped up then stopping as you normally do .any ideas please...:confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:confused: hi . thanks for that i will lift the battery out and have a look ... thanks again for the reply...

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
does the vehicle start at all? could be flywheel problem?

·
Super Moderator
9,246 Posts
try the spare key. it maybe problem with the immobiliser.:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi there...thanks for your replies i have lifted cover under battery and all of the heavy line fuses are ok i allso gave all of the relays that are there a wiggle and tap with power on and ignition switch in start position but not a peep out of the starter motor . what do you mean by flywheel could be a possibility??? and i will try another key incase it is the key at fault ...thank you for your interest and i will keep you updated cheers...:confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Dont know if this will help. If the starter motor in stuck on, put the bus in gear and rock it back and forth. You might need some friends to help. Had this problem years ago.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Switch the ignition on, make sure the van is in neutral and put a 12v supply to the starter solenoid. If she turns over and starts it's most likely your starter/ignition switch that's goosed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi.. thanks i will give the rock and roll a try .... and have a test around to see if the ignition switch is involved.... cheers keep you all posted:confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:confused: had a look today. put a live to solenoid and it started ok . checked if ignition switch was faulty found black wire on back of switch lit the test lamp when ignition was put in start position so hopefully this is the wire which sends signal eventually to the starter . checked all fuses again . so up to now the only thing i can confirm is that the ignition switch makes the black wire live when in start position. and if i put a live to the solenoid it starts fine .so some where in between is the problem...any ideas thanks...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ah well atleast you now know your starter is OK and you can get the van started!

You've got a couple of options now, you can try tracing the starter solenoid wire back up through the van to see if you can find an open circuit, try and get yourself a current flow diagram as it will make this so much easier.

Or you can run a wire from said black wire and see if when it's connected to the solenoid the van starts, you really want to make this a fused wire tho just in case! It could be that the wire from the starter switch has enough juice to light your test lamp but it's not got enough power to do it's job.

I've got very limited experience with T5's unfortunately so I'm unsure if this said starter wire goes through the power supply ECU or it's just a straight through wire to the solenoid :?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:confused: hi thanks for that . would anyone know where i could get a flow diagram from. i have sent of for a t5 dvd off ebay this may help. i have been told that the wire from ignition switch makes its way to a conveniance unit which is under drivers seat but at this point i am stuck not knowing what my next move will be i can possibly get the use of a snap-on fault reader and this may help thanks... any help appreciated...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:confused:hi not sure but i believe it all to be standard equipment no mods to my knowledge...cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts