VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, 3 weeks ago i bought a very nice and well sorted t4 that im planning to convert. When i bought it the previous owner did warn me the starter can be temperamental and will need replacing at some point, ive been using the van daily with no problems until Monday the starter was hesitating and sticking i knew it was coming so no drama, now 3 years ago my van had a professional 1.9tdi ahu engine conversion, i have all the details of the donor car, reg etc so today i thought i would just order a starter from euro car parts against the donor's reg, whilst waiting for it to arrive i took the old one off as there was a surcharge. When the new one arrived it was nothing like the one in my hand and only had 2 mounting holes where as mine had 3, i was then told there was a 3 hole version so they sent me that one it arrived in around an hour but again was nothing like mine it had 3 holes but totally different layout to mine. this time i gave them the part number off mine they matched it up and sent me yet another starter this one arrived and looked spot on other than the starter gear only had 10 teeth where as mine had 11 i thought here we go again, but after many phone calls etc the manufacturer informed me that the 10 teeth will fit, the gear is smaller but off set to place it closer to the flywheel when engaged, unsure i took his word for it and tried it fingers crossed and hoping i wasn't about to rip the teeth off my flywheel but glad to say it works fine and very quiet compared to the original. That's another job off the list and lesson learnt if you got a part number use it.........

Attachments

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,303 Posts
Many posts about the 10/11 teeth on the starter.
Newer ones are more powerful, so don't need the same gearing ratio....hence 10 teeth instead of 11.

Same with some older ones are longer, and have a bearing on the end of the shaft.
Newer ones have a stronger casting/internal bearing, so don't need the "end" support any more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many posts about the 10/11 teeth on the starter.
Newer ones are more powerful, so don't need the same gearing ratio....hence 10 teeth instead of 11.

Same with some older ones are longer, and have a bearing on the end of the shaft.
Newer ones have a stronger casting/internal bearing, so don't need the "end" support any more.
I have been reading and learning loads on here as i am new to t4's and vw in general, last night i should of read up on starter motors really as i was planning on doing mine today it could of saved loads of time and messing about thanks for replying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts