VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter motor solenoid finally packed up today and I was at pat williams getting a new temp sensor for the better halfs polo so I figured bite the bullet and get a new starter. So I get home and start on taking the old starter out.
First problem the power terminal bolt snaps out of the solenoid case, solution cut the bolt in half to get the power terminal off.
Second problem two bolts came out of the starter fine, however the top bolt which is a pain to get to has started to round. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting it out as the access is really poor due the the metal coolant pipe that runs above it.
Many Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
hi there are you using a 12 point socket or a 6 point if using a 12 try a 6 point will be far better. if thats no good get to motor factors and get a 13 mm irwin bolt remover work ace get me out the [email protected]@t most days at work

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I had the same problem, I used a spline bit in a socket to remove mine.
You have to hammer the bit into the Allen key bolt tho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had similar issue but two outta three were stripped (cap Allen key bolts). With no luck using WD-40, or a heat gun (too close to wiring and coolant tubes for flame torch), or tapping with a hammer. Plus whoever had the van previously had tried doing so already...I’m guessing they sold the van on due to the starter motor beginning to have issues, then tried replacing it, stripped the two bolts and gave up then sold the van...

I also removed the windings case from the starter to give me more room to saw out the starter motor.
I ended up cutting off the corners of the starter motor itself with a hand saw with a stainless steel blade, I personally didn’t have a grinder that would fit without potentially cutting something else near the starter motor. Plus I didn’t feel comfortable with using a grinder near other parts of the the engine bay.....That part of the process took a good number of minutes.... just go slow towards the end and be very aware of how deep you are cutting at all times.

Then drilling a series of small holes (2-3mm) in the remaining, hard to reach corner. Then slowly and carefully (don’t drill too deep, gauge how deep you need to drill from the visible starter motor plate) step up in drill bit sizing until the drilled out holes all connect up. Maybe use the easily accessible bottom section of the starter motor plate as a tester before doing it in the hard to see and reach corner of the starter motor plate.

Then you can “easily” access the bolts.
Obviously only do this if the starter motor is 100% dead, you won’t be able to reused the starter motor.
I then cut the heads of the bolts using the same hand saw with the same type of blade. Then removed the brackets and then soaked the threads with WD/40 twice (once the night before and then once in the morning, 1 hr prior to starting work again) and then used multi grips to remove the remaining threads.

I also removed the windings case from the starter to give me more room to saw out the starter motor.

Here is a photo of the end result without bolts....

I’m by no means an expert, I never worked on a car before this. I do have an electrical and plant equipment background though so I wasn’t completely fresh to this type of work. I’m willing to answer any questions or take any criticism of how I could have done this job better?

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Two of my starter bolts also rounded off. I hammered a large torx bit into them and they came out fairly easily. Replaced them with 8.8 hex bolts as there's plenty of space - don't use stainless bolts as they'll more than likely gall in the aluminium threads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts