VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
T4 2 Ltr AAC one of the first RHD off the production line 1991
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still loads of unsolved problems but the van had been running, still pulsates and takes a while to come off the revs but is driveable.

Latest issue is though, left the window open and got wet on the drivers side, dried it all out and started fine, however windscreen wipers wouldn't work when engine running but did when engine switched off, traced this to the position of the key, it is a bit stiff so thought it might have got a big wet and has gummed up a bit.

Have left the van for a couple of days and she now won't start, can hear the solenoid kicking in but starter doesn't spin, thought it might be the battery so have full charged it and tried jumping, click but no spin. I had the ignition switch replaced about a year ago but as it all seems a bit stiff I did wonder if there is a problem with the switch and not the starter.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Starter!!!!! Bit sticky good old bang with the hammer.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Or corrosion on the cable that runs from the solonoid to the starter. Took the cable of cleaned up the contact points and refitted. Sorted mine!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not saying this is not the problem but think for a minute,,

So lights on dash and no crank, would not a problem with the starter circuit give the same symptoms.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bridge the spade connector on the starter solenoid to the top solenoid stud with a screwdriver, if it turns over fast then I would say it is the ignition switch at fault.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, what a combination, since I had the problem before I still had the remnants of my self start system to be able to short the starter straight to the battery, bit of click and a bang with hammer handle, sorted, however intermittent, the new switch fitted about a year ago is buggered too!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hiya mate, I had the ignition switch problem but the starter should still turn,so if starter just clicks then you need to replace it. As for the idle running strange have you checked TPS (throttle position sensor) and also that the inlet manifold is clear of gunk! (If your van has an ECU)
If no ECU, how is the throttle cable? Really stiff or moves freely.
HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts